Singapore Airlines confirm extra 10kg..

Peach

Singapore Airlines Increases Baggage Allowance In All Classes

13 November 2013 - Singapore Airlines customers will enjoy more free checked-in baggage allowance from 15 November 2013, for all SIA and SilkAir flights.

Checked-in baggage allowances will increase by 10kg for all classes of travel. Customers will be entitled to free baggage allowances of 50kg in Suites and First Class, 40kg in Business Class and 30kg in Economy class.

For flights to and from the United States, where a per-piece allowance applies, customers travelling in Suites, First Class and Business Class will be entitled to check in two pieces of luggage of up to 32kg each, up from 23kg previously.

“Increasing baggage allowances across all classes of travel is in response to feedback from our customers and reaffirms our commitment to constantly enhancing customer service,” said SIA Senior Vice President Sales & Marketing, Mr Chin Yau Seng.

KrisFlyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold members will continue to enjoy an additional 20kg of baggage allowance across all travel classes, or one extra piece of checked-in baggage when travelling to or from the United States and Brazil.

PPS Club members will also continue to be entitled to double the checked-in baggage allowance in their respective class of travel.

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/press_release_news/ne131113.jsp

Hi

We're due to fly out with SIA in January so this is very good news. A couple of queries though, as i'm new to all this! is the 30kg allowancer per person? and does that mean all your luggage has to be 30kg i.e. suitcase and hand luggage or just your suitcase? Many thanks Cathy x

Hi

We're due to fly out with SIA in January so this is very good news. A couple of queries though, as i'm new to all this! is the 30kg allowancer per person? and does that mean all your luggage has to be 30kg i.e. suitcase and hand luggage or just your suitcase? Many thanks Cathy x

Per person for each seat purchased (so under 2's on lap won't get this amount). It would only be one piece of luggage though afaik. So one large suitcase or hold all. Just make sure no single bag is over 32kg total as H&S laws mean they won't take it and you'll have to remove stuff if a bag is over this.

And no, the 30kg is your checked baggage. Hand luggage usually clocks in about 7kg and has size restrictions. Check the airlines website for full details.

Per person for each seat purchased (so under 2's on lap won't get this amount). It would only be one piece of luggage though afaik. So one large suitcase or hold all. Just make sure no single bag is over 32kg total as H&S laws mean they won't take it and you'll have to remove stuff if a bag is over this.

And no, the 30kg is your checked baggage. Hand luggage usually clocks in about 7kg and has size restrictions. Check the airlines website for full details.

Some airlines will allow a computer in a separate bag as well as the checked luggage and hand luggage. This is worth exploring. I moved over on Air New Zealand with suitcases crammed, my maximum allowance cabin baggage, plus a special backpack for carrying my iMac desktop computer in. This weighed about 15kg and was much happier being carried than checked in. I got some admiring looks whenever I took it out to put it on an xray conveyor belt but it was within the rules and freed up 15kg of luggage allowance that I could use for other things.

Singapore Airlines allow a laptop bag or handbag. Most airlines I've flown long haul on do.

I did say the OP needs to check the airlines website to see what is what. ;)

Apart from the states you can have more than one bag totalling the baggage allowance- in this case 30kg. I took 9 checked bags for 4 of us travelling totalling my 30kg per person (I got an extra 10 from the then 20kg) and it was fine. I think if youread the small print it says similar. It's just the states that has a 1 piece rule for economy

I spoke to Singapore today as well and, if you are going over on an unstamped PR visa and only have a one-way ticket, you can get 40kgs each (checked) baggage. You just turn up with it at the airport and they will validate it for you.

The carry-on stays the same - 7kg each.

I spoke to Singapore today as well and, if you are going over on an unstamped PR visa and only have a one-way ticket, you can get 40kgs each (checked) baggage. You just turn up with it at the airport and they will validate it for you.

The carry-on stays the same - 7kg each.

It never used to need to be a one-way ticket to get double baggage:

Thank you for your email.

Kindly note, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger). This visa has to be used for the first time to enter into Australia and the double baggage will be granted after, the visa has been verified by our staff at the check-in counter on the day of your departure.

We flew with Singapore in October, coming back from the UK. When we printed out the tickets I noticed that they said 30kg allowance, and when we phoned to check they said that we could have 30kg each plus hand luggage. We brought 5 suitcases back between four of us, and although we were over the old 20kg allowance in total, they didn't mention the weight at all at check in.