OFSTED equivalent?

Mazza227

We are hopefully moving to Adelaide next March, my husband did a reccie earlier this year and found a school that he liked (although he only looked at the 1)

However I am struggling to find out about the schools, like over here we can look at OFSTED reports etc. I know its down to individuals about how they feel about a school etc and not purely down to what OFSTED think. I had a look the other day and all I can see is the report chart where it gives colours according to how children perform in tests (equivalent to SATS I believe) The results I saw didn't look good, as all the primary schools where we are looking at living initially are under average. BUT I don't really understand how it works, so maybe I am being harsh on the schools when I shouldn't be?

Can anyone help me as to what I should be looking at when considering schools please? (My children will be going into school years 3+4):confused:

No ofsted.

And having gone through an ofsted in the uk, the three days notice gives everyone time to sharpen everything up.

You cant ever get a good idea of a school from a two day visit where everyone is on their best behaviour.

Wait until you are there then ring the school and ask for a visit during class times.

Listen to the spiels then ask for a tour.

If they refuse, i would try somewhere else.

Walk slow and look into every room you can.

Ask to see specific rooms if you wish, see if they take you in or not.

We always have tours on a thursday; as i teach science, often a small group will actually come into the room and have a squizz.

Im used to it, the kids are used to it too.

Thank you, yes I do agree about the Ofsted thing here, it does seem unfair they have notice (nurseries don't much to my sisters annoyance!)

The school mu husband looked at were very much like you have said, the head spent nearly 2 hours showing him round etc, and he was really happy with it all. But it was when I looked at the website above that it has charts with results etc (Not that I understand how it works properly!!) But the results did not look good, which has worried me that I don't have the same understanding of how it works there, compared to here.

No ofsted.

And having gone through an ofsted in the uk, the three days notice gives everyone time to sharpen everything up.

You cant ever get a good idea of a school from a two day visit where everyone is on their best behaviour.

Wait until you are there then ring the school and ask for a visit during class times.

We always have tours on a thursday; as i teach science, often a small group will actually come into the room and have a squizz.

Thank you, yes I do agree about the Ofsted thing here, it does seem unfair they have notice (nurseries don't much to my sisters annoyance!)

The school mu husband looked at were very much like you have said, the head spent nearly 2 hours showing him round etc, and he was really happy with it all. But it was when I looked at the website above that it has charts with results etc (Not that I understand how it works properly!!) But the results did not look good, which has worried me that I don't have the same understanding of how it works there, compared to here.

You have more influence over your kids than anyone else. If they want to achieve, with the support of the teachers and yourself they will. If they dont want to achieve, they wont.

Ive just looked up my school on the myschools website (for the first time), and we seem to be average in all respects.

Compare the socioeconomic index with the results achieved. 1000 is average. Ours is where i expect to see it. Actually a bit higher knowing some of the raw materials we are working with......but then again we had two students achieving an ENTER score for university of over 99. (Out of 100, thats bloody good)

Then compare the different NAPLAN strands to 'like schools' to get an idea of how they achieve with the clientele they have.

You have more influence over your kids than anyone else. If they want to achieve, with the support of the teachers and yourself they will. If they dont want to achieve, they wont.

Ive just looked up my school on the myschools website (for the first time), and we seem to be average in all respects.

Compare the socioeconomic index with the results achieved. 1000 is average. Ours is where i expect to see it. Actually a bit higher knowing some of the raw materials we are working with......but then again we had two students achieving an ENTER score for university of over 99. (Out of 100, thats bloody good)

Then compare the different NAPLAN strands to 'like schools' to get an idea of how they achieve with the clientele they have.

thank you for this, yes I guess it's true what you say about us parents influencing them! I will try and have another look over the weekend and see if I can make a bit more sense of it all!

No ofsted.

I think you're a bit out of date with your Ofsted knowledge! They barely look into classrooms now and focus on school stats. You don't get three days to 'sharpen' things up!

Totally agree about visiting, taking it all in and asking questions. If you know people in the area ask them their impressions on schools, see if there is a common consensus.

I think you're a bit out of date with your Ofsted knowledge! They barely look into classrooms now and focus on school stats. You don't get three days to 'sharpen' things up!

Im happy to be out of date with my ofsted knowledge :confused:

I managed to escape six years ago :biggrin:

It's important to remember that often a school's results will be a reflection of the area they are in. When looking at Naplan results you can look at a table that compares them to the national average and a table that compares them to schools with similar socio economic profiles. The table comparing the school with similar schools is the most telling as this is more a reflection of how well the teachers are doing with the kids compared to teachers working with kids from similar backgrounds. If you are looking at primary schools look at the results for all three years. If the year 7 results are comparatively significantly worse than the year 3 results then the school may have a problem. Or they may have just had a bad year that year so look at previous years results as well.

The other thing to remember is there is far more to a school than just results. Some schools will teach to the test where as others will be more focused on providing an all round education and the test will be just something that happens as part of the school year. You also need to consider the other, none educational aspects of the school, the out of school activities and clubs, the opportunities for being part community activities, the sports side, the excursions etc. I'd rather my kids were at a school that gave them a good all round experience than one that just focused on getting good results in tests.