Wanting to move to Oz on a WHV when age 31

Hey Guys,

I am brand new to this forum.

I have a question about a WHV. I am a UK citizen and I turn 31 in March 2016, I was hoping to travel to Australia in early August 2016. If I apply for the WHV and it’s approved before I turn 31, can I still enter Australia and activate it after I have turned 31?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Phil

I can't find it on the Australian government site - I did, but then lost it again - but, according to this site, you have 12 months after the visa is granted to actually enter Australia, so as long as you get your visa before you reach 31 you should be OK. I did see the information on the government site, so this information is correct.

search

Working Holiday Visa Validity Period

How long is a Working Holiday Visa valid for?

If granted a Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) or a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462), the visa entitles you to remain in Australia for a period of 12 months.

When your visa is granted you are also given 12 months to enter Australia.

On arrival, your passport will be stamped and your visa activated. The 12 month countdown begins from this point. Should you leave Australia throughout this period, you will be unable to re-claim the time lost as the visa will expire exactly 12 months after your initial entry - regardless of whether you are inside or outside of Australia.

In certain cases, holders of Subclass 417 visas can apply to remain for a further 12 months.

(http://www.liveinaustralia.com/working-visa/visa_descriptions_visavalidity.asp)

Edited by MARYROSE02

Thanks for the responses guys.

It's something I'm going to need to get clarification on from Australian Immigration I think. What I want to do is get the paperwork saying "Yes you can enter the country" before I am 31, and then enter into Australia after turning 31; according to your posts is this correct, or are you just suggesting entering before turning 31.

Trying to get clarification on that. Also is it easy to contact Australian Immigration?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post on here, the response I got from two sources, once was the Australian Australian High Commission in Ottawa, Canada (which is where I live right now) and another from a VISA company.

I copied the below direct from the e-mail response I got from the Australian High Commission in Ottawa:

To be eligible for your first Working Holiday visa you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the following general requirements.

You must:

- be outside Australia when you apply and when your visa is granted;

- not have entered Australia on a Working Holiday visa before;

- be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying;

- not have any accompanying dependent children;

- you must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday (generally $5000.00 AUD).

This is the response I got from a company called VISA First:

You need to apply before your 31st birthday.

Once the visa is approved you have 12 months to activate it, so 12 months to enter Australia even though you will be 31 already.

Hopefully this provides clarification to anybody else who may be in the same predicament.

Thanks for your help guys!

P

If you are planning to travel Australia on a whv at the age of 31 for a year it would be good to know if you would be eligible for a 2nd year if you did the 3 month regional work. Anyone know the answer to this?

This was partially answered in the e-mail sent to me by the Australian High Commission in Ottawa also:-

A first Working Holiday visa cannot be extended beyond the 12 months. However, if you have completed three months specified work in regional Australia on your first Working Holiday visa, you may be eligible to apply for a second Working Holiday visa. For more information on qualifying for a 2nd WHM visa, please visit our DIBP website at:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

I suspect the section that says "you may be eligible to apply for a 2nd working holiday visa" implies that you "may only be allowed" if you are under the age of 31. I don't plan on staying there more than a year anyway so this does not affect me.