Hi welcome to the forum. Have a good read through our backpackers section, lots of travellers seem to head to the East coast and travel around, the time of year you visit may determine where is best to go as it can be a bit wet this time of year up North.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

So I'm looking at applying for a 12 month working holiday visa.

Where would you recommend I begin my travels? I have never been to Oz and know little about it and where the places to visit are?

I think most people travel the east coast - Melbourne to cairns etc. That seems to be the most popular path. Others visit WA too. It just depends on what you like etc.

Have a look on some websites - there are loads of backpacker and travel websites and facebook pages. I didn't know much about Australia when I first joined.. still loads I don't know. Definitely research it a bit more before you apply for your visa just in case you find you don't want to go. I'm sure you'll go and have a great time though

I'd head for Sydney first and get in a backpacker place around Kings Cross. There are loads to choose from that are OK and quite cheap. From there you would meet a lot of other people in the same boat and there seems to be loads of backpacker jobs in bars and restaurants around that area. If you manage to get a job you can save up and listen to a few other travellers and hear what the others liked about where they've been. It's easier to get around the East Coast and between places. You often see a lot of cars and bigger vans for sale that backpackers are getting rid of before they head home or go on a flight somewhere else.

I would try and save up enough to come to the West Coast too as it's so different and there are a lot of backpackers and jobs over here too.

Can't blame anyone young travelling and experiencing new places. Plenty of time for settling down, having mortgages and kids. Only live once.