29yrs old, can I still go on WHV?

Katielou1984

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering going to o on a WHV for a year starting in August this year. I turn 30 in August! I understand from the info on immi that you have to be 18-30 at the time of applying. Does the visa continue for the full yer you are entitled to even if you turn 30 during your stay in Oz? Oh would it work if I wanted to then extend to the second year?

Any hep would be great :)

Katie

You need to be between the ages of 18-30 when you apply for either first or 2nd WHV. Once you reach 31 you are not eligible for either 1st or 2nd WHV.

Once a WHV is granted you have 12 months to get to Australia - therefore yes you can travel and enter Australia after you turn 31.

if you are hoping to stay 2 years you would need to be in Australia before you turn 30.

Edited by lebourvellec

As others have said so long as you apply before your 31st bday. I applied days before mine and was granted it after I'd turned 31.

Can't do the second year though :( have to apply before 31 for that too :(

Edited by Britpop

i turned 30 4 days before i came to oz on my first whv, didn't want my second year to run straight on as i needed to spend a bit of time back home so just made sure I was out of Australia and applied for the second whv before I turned 31 - came back in September 2013 after turning 31 in July...you might need to do a bit of maths to make sure you're eligible but don't miss out!!

Thank you for the info. How was it as an older traveller? I am a bit worried that a lot of the people I will met will be a lot younger and into boozing a lot. I like the odd drink but am more interested in having a good time, sight seeing and meeting new people through work etc!

Any tips?