Any electricians out there.

Guest lisaandnigel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lisaandnigel
I assume so, the electrics are the same (different plug but same set up apparently) so thats why. His electrician college tutor who is also moving to oz has said the same too.

Hope this makes life easier for you.x

hi, well yes sounds great its just everyone we have spoke too and read up on about this there seems to be a long ordeal to get your licence to work out in oz .

I have asked our agent aswell now see what she says

thanks lisa

Guest stevewestbury

Hi Stu,

The new regulations that you mention, are you making reference to the 17th Edition or is there another set that is used in Oz ?.

I'm in the process of applying for the vetasess but I'm waiting to finish my City and Guilds 2330 pt3, did the old 236 years back but never finished pt3, have done the 16th edition regs and the inspection and testing and passed ok, not looking forward to the practical, I work in industrial maintenance so I do not ge much hands on with domestic installation work, The 3 hour test will be a real test for me,

Cheers

Steve

Hi. Just spoke to hb to get my facts right, I have a tendency to get it all wrong ha ha!! and yer its right, he has 2360 and 2391 and our agent said he will only have to do a competance test which is basically like a re-test of the last exam he did. No actual studying. Its basically to show you know you're stuff. As long as you have 16th edition its all cool.

:jiggy:

hi shaza who is your agent who told you this can you send me a pm if you dont want to post this info .

i passed my tra last year , i have 236 part 1 , AM1 , 236 part 2 ,AM2 all to the 16th edition pass practiacl side of 2391 inspection and testing but failed the written i am also jib graded . i was told all this is worthless once i get to oz i will have to do a course and a test i have to apply for artc so i can work once i arrive

Hi Stu,

The new regulations that you mention, are you making reference to the 17th Edition or is there another set that is used in Oz ?.

I'm in the process of applying for the vetasess but I'm waiting to finish my City and Guilds 2330 pt3, did the old 236 years back but never finished pt3, have done the 16th edition regs and the inspection and testing and passed ok, not looking forward to the practical, I work in industrial maintenance so I do not ge much hands on with domestic installation work, The 3 hour test will be a real test for me,

Cheers

Steve

No not 17th edition, thats for the uk only. A new Oz regulations has just been released. Things are done very different over here such as no ring mains, earthing different. Methods and everything are different. Testing is a joke, a house is done in about 20 mins max. No fuses in plugs, no switched fuse spur's, isolators are what i would call switches as they only isolate the active(live) conductor not the neutral aswell. I could go on forever.

I would say to anyone, dont waste anymore money on courses in the uk as you will be throwing it down the drain!

Stu

Guest lcys2460
The only thing you can do in england is apply for the ARTC and the result for that has to be sent to an OZ address, they will not send it to england. I sent my ARTC application off around a month before we left and the result was sent to a mate in Cairns ready for when we arrived.

The ARTC is the biggest hurdle you need to pass so put plwnty of work into it to make sure you dont fail. Fail and you wont be working in oz as a spark, not legally anyway.

You could also get yourself a copy of the regulations aswell to get an idea of whats what, a new edition has just been released!

Stu

Hi Stu,

When you applied for your ARTC what did you do about the resuscitation competence (cpr) - didn't you have to do this in Aus?

I just thought I'd have to do a cpr course in Aus before I could apply for ARTC?

Cheers

Hi Stu,

When you applied for your ARTC what did you do about the resuscitation competence (cpr) - didn't you have to do this in Aus?

I just thought I'd have to do a cpr course in Aus before I could apply for ARTC?

Cheers

You dont need the cpr course for your ARTC application, you also dont need it when you get here and get your permit to work. You only need to have it when you apply for your full licence.

Stu

what books would be worth getting for in oz ie over here in the uk i have a copy of regs , on site guide and inspection and testing guidance notes ... also if these can not be purchased in the uk what is a good book store in oz to contact ???

If i remember correctly its sia global you can get the reg's from, there is also a metering book, and another for cable calculations may be worth having. A lot of it depends ion where you are going and what route you will take to get your licence. Iv done it via correspondence and part of the course gives me a head start if i go for the contractors licence as it covers cable calculations, volt drop's and all that sort of stuff. If you go to south australia you will only need to do the regulations course so you will only need the reg's book.

Stu - Thanks for the info, as ever your brill with the info...

Ian, Nina & George: I found this site yesterday for books: Solutions for Standards, Compliance, and Business Improvement - SAI Global only one I've found so far that sells online

This is the link to the current regulations book. In my opinion it is worth buying. Your coming to a new country and belive me things are different.

Publication Details - AS/NZS 3000:2007 (Hardbound) Electrical installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules)

Dont buy it in pdf format. I have the old one in pdf and its bloomin hard work! Buy the hardback, its a nice size A5.

Just shout if you guys want any help/ advice, i pop on here every few days.

Stu

just found out you can now do all exams in england and get your licence before arriving in oz. skill assessment-$600 for competency test

$1600 for physical test (practical to nvq level 1 standards)

i havent found out yet where you have to go to do the tests but i'll let you know when i find out. all the best to you all.icon10.gificon10.gif

just found out you can now do all exams in england and get your licence before arriving in oz. skill assessment-$600 for competency test

$1600 for physical test (practical to nvq level 1 standards)

i havent found out yet where you have to go to do the tests but i'll let you know when i find out. all the best to you all.icon10.gificon10.gif

Am sure you still only get your provisional licence, you still need to apply for a full licence when you get there. This is also only if you haven't already done your TRA.

Guest lisaandnigel
thanks for that stu , is a great help somewhere to start , we will get to work with it.

lisa+nigel

hi stu

is the artc the same as the tra,as we have passed the tra on myself, would my oh need to prove all paperwork as i had too.he has city and guils level 3 in electrics.

lisa

Guest lisaandnigel
seems its all changed again you can get your licence in england $600 competency test & $1600 for physical test (practical) i dont know where to go yet but will let you know.

good luck and all the best.

soon as you find any information please let me know,i will look in to it also.

we have passed the tra dont know if that makes a difference.

thanks lisa

As I already said this still only gives you a provisional licence.

This is the new assessment by Vetass(not sure if thats spelt right) which has replaced the TRA for certain trades. This assessment enables you to obtain your provisional licence from the ARTC. Depending on what state you go to you still have to apply for the full licence in that particular place.

seems its all changed again you can get your licence in england $600 competency test & $1600 for physical test (practical) i dont know where to go yet but will let you know.

good luck and all the best.

I may be wrong but i think what you are talking about is the new vetasses system. This has taken over from the TRA and i dont honestly think you have an oz electrical licence at the end of it. You will end up with a permit to work. I think what they have done is to save time peolpe applying for the TRA then the ARTC they have done it all in one and tripled the price!!!!

hi stu

is the artc the same as the tra,as we have passed the tra on myself, would my oh need to prove all paperwork as i had too.he has city and guils level 3 in electrics.

lisa

Ye your Oh will have to apply to the TRA and have all his work experience assesed if he intends to work in oz as a spark. A long road ahead for him im afraid!

Stu

Hiya oh has passed Vetassess and it is only a provisional liscence at the end of it. I believe he is granted a full liscence after a certain amount of work experience once in Aus. Hope that helps. You don't need to apply to Vetassess if you have TRA. This was just a new system brought in Sept 2007 and is the skill assessment if applying for the skilled visa.

Hi Tracy can't help with that sorry. Was your oh on the course in Birmingham 10th Dec? My OH Phil was there that day too! See your visa is on it's way, well done. We are waiting for a new passport for my daughter then will send ours off. Is it all going through quick? Not sure what sort of wait we'll have for that! Bernie

Hi Bernie

Yes I think Geoff was on the course with your OH. We have (or should I have!!) been really quick with getting the visa ball rolling. Geoff is now in panic mode and getting really woried about the whole thing! Just waiting on selling the house and then if all goes smoothly we will be on our way by September. I have just updated my signature strip with our latest time line- re meds and police checks.

Just trying to find out about the ARTC as I seem to get conflicting info - someone has said with Vetassess you don't have to get the ARTC but someone else said it was the same as TRA????

I have emailed ARTC but not received a response yet

Good luck with your app - are you applying online?

I see, it's difficult finding the answers since not many have done the Vetassess yet. So we are the guinea pigs in it all! We are applying online yes. We had planned to go by end of this year early next year, but if it all goes through quicker, who knows. Sooner the better, want to just get on with life now, fed up with talking about it!!

Archived