Driving on UK licence questions

rhenny

Hey,

As far as I'm aware whilst on a working holiday visa you can drive on a full UK licence with no further bits required.

But what happens when I apply for my de-facto visa? Are the rules still the same with reference to the fact I have a full UK licence, or do I need to apply for something, or do I have to take a driving test over here even?

Thanks in advance :cute:

Guest Guest31881

On a temporary visa you can drive on your UK licence, once your visa becomes permanent then you need an Australian Licence. No need to take a test, just fill the forms in, take the required ID and you licence to the local transport office and pay the fee. You will be issued with an Australian Licence and your UK licence will be returned to you. Some members will apply for an Australian Licence early because it is a good form of ID to carry.

Hey,

As far as I'm aware whilst on a working holiday visa you can drive on a full UK licence with no further bits required.

But what happens when I apply for my de-facto visa? Are the rules still the same with reference to the fact I have a full UK licence, or do I need to apply for something, or do I have to take a driving test over here even?

Thanks in advance :cute:

Having been through this now almost 2 years ago here in SA its 3 months on any license here then you must get an SA license not even 6 months on International, but then they gave me a license easy peasy and I kept the UK one and USA one ...no exam nothing...except a hefty fee. So now I have 4 licenses ....1 more and i'll have 5 of a kind...LOL

On a temporary visa you can drive on your UK licence, once your visa becomes permanent then you need an Australian Licence. No need to take a test, just fill the forms in, take the required ID and you licence to the local transport office and pay the fee. You will be issued with an Australian Licence and your UK licence will be returned to you. Some members will apply for an Australian Licence early because it is a good form of ID to carry.

We were looking at cars the other day and the guy in the show room asked if we had an Australian licence and we said yes, he said ´great, that is probably one of the best things you could have done´, apparently it saves a huge amount of paperwork and form filling.

I didn´t have to do a test, $119 for 5 years.

You can never have enough licences!!

Thanks for your help everyone, Im in VIC and Im pretty sure I can have the year on my UK licence and then I will apply for the OZ one, so glad I dont have to take a test!!

Any ideas on the fees?

Guest Guest31881
You can never have enough licences!!

Thanks for your help everyone, Im in VIC and Im pretty sure I can have the year on my UK licence and then I will apply for the OZ one, so glad I dont have to take a test!!

Any ideas on the fees?

Fees vary from state to state, but I am sure you can find the current fees on the Vic government site.

We were looking at cars the other day and the guy in the show room asked if we had an Australian licence and we said yes, he said ´great, that is probably one of the best things you could have done´, apparently it saves a huge amount of paperwork and form filling.

$110 for 3 years here in good old SA!

Sorry completely missed this post! Are you in VIC?

Archived