Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Dear Capt.R

G day

I am applying for an Assessment of overseas qualification for the purposes of migration.I have STCW courses from India ,do need to obtain a letter from my course provider that states the course is approved by the administration and i have attended the course.

Thx

Navin

Dear Capt.R

G day

I am applying for an Assessment of overseas qualification for the purposes of migration.I have STCW courses from India ,do need to obtain a letter from my course provider that states the course is approved by the administration and i have attended the course.

Thx

Navin

Not required at this point Navin.

A letter is required only for courses that you do after applying for assessment. Such as continued competence where required... Also required for ECDIS endorsement even if done before assessment.

Thank You very much Capt C.

Medicals, can I do it now or wait for invitation ? Also what about the requirement for photograph " be labelled with the applicant's name". How do you label it?

You can do your Medicals now if you so wish. You'll need a HAP ID number in order to do this. You can organise this by following the instructions here > http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Heal/meeting-the-health-requirement/arranging-a-health-examination

I didn't label my photos, and wasn't asked to, so I'm not completely sure.

Edited by CaptainC

Capt C,

1. Stat Dec, I assume is the sigining of Australian Value system and providing biometrics. Or form 80 has Australian Value system.

2. I stayed for more than a year in UK, do I have to get a PCC from UK.

1. Statutory Declaration (Stat Dec) is a statement that you declare something to be true, you must have a stat dec certified by a person authorised by the Attorney General. It is not the same as the Australian Values statement.

2. Yes

Sorry, I couldn't get it. "Statutory Declaration (Stat Dec) is a statement that you declare something to be true, you must have a stat dec certified by a person authorised by the Attorney General."

What are the contents of the statement, and who is the person authorised by the Attorney General in India.

Also · "" Recreating the PDF with Distiller set to 'lowest file size'.

Ensuring that all images in the PDF are set to 96 DPI. ""

The files uploaded as attachment , we can upload upto 60 files and it should not exceed 5 mb. So do we have to follow the above guideline while scanning the documents?

Sorry, I couldn't get it. "Statutory Declaration (Stat Dec) is a statement that you declare something to be true, you must have a stat dec certified by a person authorised by the Attorney General."

What are the contents of the statement, and who is the person authorised by the Attorney General in India.

Also · "" Recreating the PDF with Distiller set to 'lowest file size'.

Ensuring that all images in the PDF are set to 96 DPI. ""

The files uploaded as attachment , we can upload upto 60 files and it should not exceed 5 mb. So do we have to follow the above guideline while scanning the documents?

Don't worry about stat dec. You haven't been asked for one.

You can upload most file types, I opted for PDF as it has a better compression and makes files smaller.

You cannot make more than 60 uploads.

Each upload cannot be more than 5MB

Gentlemen !!

I have a small doubt about sending of Docs for CoR. I'm planning to send :

A cover letter, Credit card authorization , Form 419 and certified true copy of the "Continued Competence course".My doubt pertains to sending a copy of my PR. Should that be certified too ? (Since i received the grant by email and I myself have a soft copy, Is it required to be Certified too ?? !!)

Please advise in case any of you remember something.

Regards

I am hoping that when we get an invitation from the EOI, we will get a notification on our registered email.

Is there a possibility that I can join the ship after submitting all the documents for a 8 week trip or will have to stay till I get the grant. Clearly it seems like a lengthy process , although going by some of the cases mentioned above, few lucky fellows did get the grant in a decent time.

Thanks.

I am hoping that when we get an invitation from the EOI, we will get a notification on our registered email.

Is there a possibility that I can join the ship after submitting all the documents for a 8 week trip or will have to stay till I get the grant. Clearly it seems like a lengthy process , although going by some of the cases mentioned above, few lucky fellows did get the grant in a decent time.

Thanks.

Hi Sujit !!

The process is not really lengthy when you compare with any other country of the world. I would a say that 8 week trip is fine. Just in case a case officer is assigned and wants to have further details then, what will you do ?

In my case , i received the grant by email and no case officer was assigned...

Some members who had a case officer assigned will also comment.

You too can be lucky if you have a clear case.

Good Luck

Thanks.

If the department contacts you then it will be by email. As long as you have access to email in that trip away then no problems.

If they ask for something they give a time limit of 28 days for you to respond to any requests. It's unlikely you'd have any requests for further information within 6 weeks of applying for visa so it would be wise to time your application accordingly.

Thank You very much for your response.

"If you receive an invitation, you will have 60 days toapply online for the visa. During that time, you cannot change the informationin your expression of interest."

So, basically after getting an invitation you have 60 days and within that period you can submit the documents and if they still need anything, then you still get 28 days to reply.

Thank You very much for your response.

"If you receive an invitation, you will have 60 days toapply online for the visa. During that time, you cannot change the informationin your expression of interest."

So, basically after getting an invitation you have 60 days and within that period you can submit the documents and if they still need anything, then you still get 28 days to reply.

Yes, so when you are invited you must complete the visa application and pay the visa application charge within 60 days otherwise the invitation expires and you'll have to start again.

You can wait to upload the documents until later, but you mustn't wait too long, a couple of weeks is ok but any longer and you risk your application being looked at and then put to the back of the queue because it's not complete.

Once you've applied and provided all of the required documents, then you'll either be sent an email requesting further information, which must be provided within 28 days, or at least evidence that you have made an effort to provide the evidence within this 28 days. Otherwise, if your application is complete and there is nothing further that they require then you may just receive a visa grant.

I thought that i'd write a little bit about the requirements for PCC's (Police Clearance Certificates) for seafarers.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires that all applicants provide a PCC for each country that they have lived in for more than 12 months. Additionally anybody that has worked on a ship for 12 months or more (in total) must provide a PCC from the country whose flag the ship sails under.

Personally, I have been sailing on Bermuda registered ships for most of my career and needed to provide a PCC from there. I contacted the Bermuda Police using the contact details available on the DIBP website and received an email back from them telling me that a PCC cannot be issued to a person who has not been a proper resident of Bermuda.

I was asked by DIBP to provide a Statutory Declaration stating that I had attempted to obtain the PCC and could not do so due to the residency requirement by Bermuda. I also provided a letter of good conduct from my former employers (the owners of the Bermuda flagged vessels) to say that I hadn't been in trouble etc and also copied the email conversation between myself and Bermuda Police.

DIBP received this and now an application has gone to a senior visa official for a waiver from the requirement.

To date, I still do not have the waiver and it has been over three weeks, I don't know when to expect it but I'm hoping it is going to be within the next week or so. Without the waiver, the visa cannot be granted.

So, others in the same situation, or think that this will apply to them, please take note.

I fail to understand why DIBP have brought in this requirement, I suspect very few applications per year are from people who work on ships or oil rigs, and of those people for them to have a successful career as a professional the committing of a criminal offence would unlikely see them getting far.

Also, if a crime is committed on a ship it is almost certainly going to be dealt with by the coastal state that you are operating into. A crime committed on a Liberian rig in the Australian EEZ isn't going to call the Liberian police and tell them to come a fetch him.

The whole thing is ill thought out.