Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Guest jshyamantak

i read it in some of the posts earlier that we require to sail for atleast 12 months in the past 24 ... But the source of this information is not from AMSA or IMMIGRATION site.. it was a user post. Hence I wanted to clarify. In that case I would sail for some more time and then apply for assessment.

Worried about the fast changing Immigration Laws.

Guest jshyamantak

I am holding a UK Chief Mate Unltd. CoC . Intend to apply for AMSA assessment and go to sea. Will appear for orals after I come back. Some materials will be helpful too

jshamantak

on the AMSA website there is this requirement which states how much sea time is required for which rank. i cant seem to find the link. read it a long time ago.

but the skill set requirement states that in last 10 years, you get points for sailing 36, 60 and 96 months and you get the points for them respectively.

hope that it helps

baggi

how about sea time letters from the companies?

it took me a lot of time and effort to track them down and get those.

have been employed but have been jumping all over the companies last couple of years. didnt think that it would finally become a problem.

Edited by baggi
adding stuff

Dear Seniors

I need hep preparing for my class 1 cor orals i shall be appearing soon and have no clue what is bein asked there if anyone has any materia and questionsl please mail me at sunnyazam@gmail.com i will be very greatful .

also whats tthe procedure to book the orals once the letter of positive assessment is recieved

thanks

Azam

Dear Seniors

I need hep preparing for my class 1 cor orals i shall be appearing soon and have no clue what is bein asked there if anyone has any materia and questionsl please mail me at sunnyazam@gmail.com i will be very greatful .

also whats tthe procedure to book the orals once the letter of positive assessment is recieved

thanks

Azam

I have emailed you all the info I have.

Once you have the letter from AMSA you will need to contact the AMSA office where you prefer to sit the orals to set a date. Then you complete AMSA form 419.

You must have:

proficiency in survival craft and RB,

personal survival techniques,

advanced fire fighting, and

fire fighting & fire prevention certificates

not less than 5 years old otherwise you will be required to take a refresher course in all of the above aspects.

This is the STCW 2010 requirements for which AMSA has brought forward for new applications for CoR.

I have emailed you all the info I have.

Once you have the letter from AMSA you will need to contact the AMSA office where you prefer to sit the orals to set a date. Then you complete AMSA form 419.

You must have:

proficiency in survival craft and RB,

personal survival techniques,

advanced fire fighting, and

fire fighting & fire prevention certificates

not less than 5 years old otherwise you will be required to take a refresher course in all of the above aspects.

This is the STCW 2010 requirements for which AMSA has brought forward for new applications for CoR.

CaptainC,

I have a query. I have done refresher courses in "Proficiency in Survival Craft and RB" and "Advanced Fire fighting". Do I need to do refreshers in "Personal Survival Techniques" and "Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention" too? I thought since I had upgraded the former which are advanced versions, I wouldn't need to do the other two.

Thanks!

CaptainC,

I have a query. I have done refresher courses in "Proficiency in Survival Craft and RB" and "Advanced Fire fighting". Do I need to do refreshers in "Personal Survival Techniques" and "Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention" too? I thought since I had upgraded the former which are advanced versions, I wouldn't need to do the other two.

Thanks!

Hi Ravman,

Short answer - Yes

Long answer - See this link http://www.amsa.gov.au/seafarers/int-qualifications/training/rto-information/documents/mt11-additional-mandatory-sea-survival-fire-fighting-requirements-to-demonstrate-continued-competency.pdf

Dear CaptainC,

I'm masters CoC holder from India ,I'm likely to appear for AMSA CoR next month,I would be very grateful if could please send me me questions/study materials for this.Thanx a lot in advance.

Best Regrds,

Capt. Sierra

Capt. Sierra

Inbox me your email and I will forward you all what I have.

Dear Captains,

I have been looking for such a forum for engineers but may be google is not as helpful as you guys.... am a coc class 2 engineer holding uk qualifications. just last week got my visa granted but its a state sponsored visa for queensland. as I am currently working in papua new guinea, it suits me to live in queensland. my only confusion is that as its state sponsored, I am required to live and work in cairns only, but working on ship is different from working ashore. the ship will keep on moving..... what's the law regarding our job. do I need to sign on from cairns only? do I need to work in a cairns based company only or can I work at any coastal ship but have my base in cairns, with family settled there?

I cleared my AMSA orals in Melbourne in april 2014 and submitted EOI in may 2014, got invitation from queensland in same june and submitted visa charges and documents on 17 june 2014 , received my visa grant on 4th sept. 2014. guess it was my lucky day. I didn't have any police clearance from the countries whose flag vessels I sailed on and immigration ppl didn't ask me for any such document as well.

on a different note if any engineer wants some help regarding oral prep, pm me and I will do what all I can.

Dear Captains,

I have been looking for such a forum for engineers but may be google is not as helpful as you guys.... am a coc class 2 engineer holding uk qualifications. just last week got my visa granted but its a state sponsored visa for queensland. as I am currently working in papua new guinea, it suits me to live in queensland. my only confusion is that as its state sponsored, I am required to live and work in cairns only, but working on ship is different from working ashore. the ship will keep on moving..... what's the law regarding our job. do I need to sign on from cairns only? do I need to work in a cairns based company only or can I work at any coastal ship but have my base in cairns, with family settled there?

I cleared my AMSA orals in Melbourne in april 2014 and submitted EOI in may 2014, got invitation from queensland in same june and submitted visa charges and documents on 17 june 2014 , received my visa grant on 4th sept. 2014. guess it was my lucky day. I didn't have any police clearance from the countries whose flag vessels I sailed on and immigration ppl didn't ask me for any such document as well.

on a different note if any engineer wants some help regarding oral prep, pm me and I will do what all I can.

As far as I know there is no requirement to work or live in Queensland. This might be a question that would best to be posed to an approved migration agent.

There are plenty that are members of this forum, so if you post your question in a new thread I suspect that somebody would be able to answer your question.

Hi all,

I'm Second Officer having UK CoC total 8 year experience i.e.since I joined that company. Can I apply for Skillselect in Ships officer category.

Before you apply to SkillSelect you must obtain a skills assessment from Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) which involves submitting an application form (available from the AMSA website) travelling to Australia for an oral exam, and a medical in Australia. Providing all of this is successful then AMSA will issue a letter to use for an application for immigration.

Before you apply to SkillSelect you must obtain a skills assessment from Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) which involves submitting an application form (available from the AMSA website) travelling to Australia for an oral exam, and a medical in Australia. Providing all of this is successful then AMSA will issue a letter to use for an application for immigration.

Good Day CaptainC,

Thanks for your Valuable Guidance.

Then Planning to do Chief Mates from Australia,

Can you suggest Advance Diploma in Nautical Science -Master Unlimited is the Course for Chief Mates at Challenger Institute OR

Bachelors of Nautical Science at Australian Maritime College.

Best Regards,

Good Day CaptainC,

Thanks for your Valuable Guidance.

Then Planning to do Chief Mates from Australia,

Can you suggest Advance Diploma in Nautical Science -Master Unlimited is the Course for Chief Mates at Challenger Institute OR

Bachelors of Nautical Science at Australian Maritime College.

Best Regards,

I have no idea about courses in Australia. Contact the colleges directly, they may be able to assist.

Hi all,

have to say this forum is a real treasure trove of information.

I really don't have any doubts right now after reading through all the posts.

Will be applying to AMSA soon and probably sit for orals early next year, would appreciate study material so i can get started on this process.

Hi all,

have to say this forum is a real treasure trove of information.

I really don't have any doubts right now after reading through all the posts.

Will be applying to AMSA soon and probably sit for orals early next year, would appreciate study material so i can get started on this process.

Which CoR will you be going for?

If you send me a private message with your email address I will send you what I have.