Launceston, Devonport or Hobart? The good, the bad and the ugly please

jt95045AAAA

Hi

We have changed plans and are now looking at the above instead of NSW. We are moving from Queensland. We love the outdoors being near good rockclimbing and horse riding, ideally trail riding is essential. We have a 15 year old so a good state school is a must as well. Please could you suggest areas that have reasonable shopping, medical facilities, school etc and yet close to the outdoor pursuits we love. Any other tips would be great. Hoping to move in next 3 - 6 months as we tie up things here in QLD. Myself and my husband are both in our early forties and hope to be in a friendly area and make new friends.

Thanks

Jt95045AAAA

I think the ideal place combining all those would probably be the Kingston area just south of Hobart. It's virtually on the lower slopes of Mt. Wellington and the wilderness behind, plus has many coastal cliffs, so lots of rock climbing available, and has a very "horsey" culture in the surrounding properties and horse trails.

This map shows all the tracks and trails in the area, including horse trails

http://www.kingborough.tas.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/tracks-map-symbols.pdf

There is also a trail riding club:

https://sites.google.com/site/trailridersactionclub/

There are some lovely beaches in the area and active sailing, life saving clubs etc. and a great sports centre.

Kingston has a high school which has a good reputation and Hobart College (for years 11 and 12) is only about 10 minutes away on the main highway into Hobart. It also has a shopping centre with Coles, Woolworths, Big W, all the major banks, several medical centres but is only a short drive (outside peak hour) to central Hobart.

The local council has a very informative website:

http://www.kingborough.tas.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=425

One of our PIOers - crispysince70 - moved there from Wales last year with husband and 3 boys - at least one going to the local high school - and seems to be very happy there.

You could certainly get to Hobart CBD within 30 minutes from most areas around Kingston - maybe apart from peak hour traffic? I live in the suburb of South Hobart and often choose to shop at Kingston rather than in the Hobart CBD (and often meet a girlfriend for lunch at the Kingston Beach pub where they do really nice crumbed scallops!:biggrin:) From the last set of traffic lights leaving Hobart to the (one) set of intersection traffic lights at Kingston usually takes me 11 minutes (and I'm a very law abiding driver).:yes:

Agree that anywhere near Hobart would be good. The North is not so well developed and whilst it is great for holidays and visits probably not so good for permanent living! They can be a bit insular up there, at least that is my experience but others may not agree.

For what it's worth I agree with all the comments here (although I sometimes get to Kingston more quickly! ;) There are also lots of other places around Hobart where there is a lot of scope for outdoor activity. The benefit of Hobart is that you get all the benefits of the city but with bush and outdoor fun a very short drive away.

Hi,

I agree with the others. Kingston or even a little further down the Channel Highway or Huon sounds like it would suit you. When we first moved back to Hobart we stayed with my mum in Kingston for a few weeks. The peak traffic did bank up at the end of the drive each end of the day. Since then a new section of road at the Kingston end has made it heaps better in the afternoon down there and also for the city end in the morning. I have friends who are further out in Tinderbox and they say the commute to the city in the morning is now around 20 minutes for them and it was over 30. Which reminds me, Tinderbox is lovely with large blocks and definitely suitable for horses. Kingston itself is more surburban, although some outer larger and more bush blocks.

All the main centres in Tassie that you mention have the advantage of you being able to live not too far out from the city and still have a semi-rural lifestyle if you like. Hobart of course if the biggest city so has more of everything. I am from here and likely biased... however Launceston does also have a lot going for it, just smaller. It is cheaper in terms of housing and the more rural parts are closer than in Hobart. Launceston does get colder than Hobart in winter, so that may also be a factor in your decision.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Jo

I agree with you Jo that it is very easy to have a rural lifestyle within commuting distance of any of the larger centres in Tassie. I focused on that area south of Hobart because they mentioned rock climbing and I think that is closer than equivalent areas around Launceston or the major centres along the northwest coast.

Vivien

Hi

Thank you for your suggestions, you are all so helpful. Which state high schools do you think I should aim to be around for the areas you mention. I only have one son, 15 years still at home. He's a great kid and loves rockclimbing! The others have flown the nest! I can't wait to come and have a look around and relocate very soon. I'm sure I will fall in love with Tassie and hope to make great new friends. thanks Julie

If you settle in the Kingston - Channel area then Kingston High School would be the closest.

It has been established for about 30 years but has only just moved to a newly built site.

http://www.kingstonhigh.tas.edu.au/

The next closest high school would be Taroona High School

https://portal.education.tas.gov.au/schools/THS/Home/Pages/Default.aspx

Or, if you settled more towards the Huon Valley then Huonville High School -

http://www.schools.education.tas.gov.au/huonvillehigh/default.aspx

There is also a district high school at Woodbridge in the Channel area which caters for all years to Year 10

http://www.schools.education.tas.gov.au/woodbridge/default.aspx

My only experience of any of them is Taroona High - both I and my OH went there and my daughter taught there, so I'm a bit biased :biggrin: If you go to the website above, then Photos...Around our School...View Slide Show... you will see what a stunning location it has.

• 3 weeks later...

No, I don't. Ripple Realty is a new player in real estate here and I suspect it may be the only company which does.

Of course the commission is paid by the seller and, as a buyer coming into the market, you would not be charged this.

Ditto to Skani!

You will not be up for agent costs. The cost of buying for you will be the duty (previously called stamp duty), which is paid to the state government and will be part of the settlement figure that your solicitor/conveyancer will calculate. In Tasmania this is calculated on a scale. So for property with a purchase price of $150-225k the amount due is $3925 + 3.5% of the amount over $150k. For property over $225k the rate is $6550 + 4% of the value over $225k.

Of course if you are also selling you will have agents commission to pay in Queensland.

Jo

Archived