Working Holiday Visa and Backpackers in Queensland

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Backpackers are once again flying the flag for the state's ailing tourist industry, in the first positive signs of a rebound in the youth market.

Latest figures show a surge in numbers of young British, Irish, French and German travellers coming here on working holiday visas.

Experts believe the resurgent "bread-and-butter" backpacker market is the first glimmer of hope for the Sunshine State after two years in the doldrums thanks to a high Australian dollar and natural disasters. Tourism Queensland's latest campaign, Work and Play, the smash-hit BBC documentary Great Barrier Reef, and record-high youth unemployment in Europe are behind the influx of young travellers.

Former forensic scientist Naomi Mack, 28, of Cambridge, was one of 18 happy winners out of 1051 applicants to pick up a free working holiday visa and a guaranteed job in the online campaign. She is now driving a bus for JJ's backpacker hostel in Cairns. In just two weeks, she has dived at the reef and visited the rainforest, and she plans to jungle-surf, horse-ride on the beach and drive the waterfall circuit. "Lots of young people in the UK are losing their jobs and thinking of taking a break in Australia," Ms Mack said. "I'm here to take a break between my work and my future, have a good time and meet some people."

About 16,000 Brits (up 1.9 per cent) took up a working holiday visa last year, along with 8000 Irish youth (up 25 per cent). Germans were up 10 per cent, and French up 4 per cent.

About one in four German travellers enjoys their holiday so much they apply to stay on for a second year on the visa.

"It is the No.1 dream destination for youth in that part of the world," said Tourism Queensland director Jane Nicholson, based in London. She said 60 per cent of young Brits headed to Queensland. "Backpackers are the bread-and-butter, the meat-and-potatoes, of the tourist trade. They go everywhere, they try anything, come here longer, and spend more money."

Archived