Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'backpackers'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 26 results

  1. Susan from Moneycorp

    Extended Working Holiday visas - Fire relief 2020

    Not sure if anyone's seen this already, but I think it's fantastic! Win-win for everyone https://www.moneycorp.com/en-au/news-hub/extended-working-holiday-visa-for-australia/
  2. Hello everyone, I am writing because I would like to know if those who already worked at fantastic framing can give me a testimony of what they did. Also maybe you can give me more details about the accommodation they give? Am I taking risks in this company ? This company seems to have the "dream job" but I am not sure. Thanks for your answers
  3. Hi, We are two (male and female) hardworking and enthusiastic individuals looking for work during our stay in Australia. We have a 12 Month Working/Holiday Visa and are currently residing in Perth, WA. We are keen to travel, so happy to relocate to any other State. We are available to work immediately and have no other upcoming commitments. We are both eager and quick to learn and are keen to be working as soon as possible. We are happy to do anything - Farming, Hospitality, Retail, General Labour, Cleaning, Cooking... Skills and Experience include; Performing Arts (Performance, Teaching, Technician) Events (Preparation, Promotion) Retail Construction / General Labour / Decorating Catering / Hospitality If you are looking for (or no anyone who is) two young, hardworkers with friendly, outgoing personalities, please get in touch! If you would like further information from us then please email helenv91@hotmail.com/j.dobinson@hotmail.com. We look forward to hearing from you, Helen Vandersteen & Jay Dobinson 0420 462 843
  4. prendergast13

    i need friends for 2nd year WHV asap

    Hi, Im Steph, 24, originally from Manchester, UK, lived in NZ for two years and recently moved to Ausralia. I'm currently based in Sydey, travelling on my own & looking to complete my regional work, so to apply for my second WHV, ASAP. I'm hoping to find people in my position, (travelling alone or in a small group) to join forces with to complete the 88 days work ASAP. I'm willing to go halves on a car, as most jobs say this is a must, and also willing to travel pretty much anywhere in Aus, as long as the work is paid and accomodation is farely cheap. If you are based anywhere in and around Sydney, or any major town center I can get too farely easily via public transport, and would like to embark on this together, please contact me via pm. Look forward to hearing off you! Steph
  5. francescad

    Cairns to start??

    Hi, I am planning my year on my working holiday visa, and I was wondering where the best cities are to get jobs from people who've done it or know about it. I've heard melbourne and sydney are the best however I was wondering about cairns as my starting place? Any information on anything regarding this would be much much appreciated!!
  6. Hello everyone I'm a 22 year old from England moving to Sydney mid October this year and am looking to connect with a few people who may be doing a similar thing. Who knows, we could be sitting on some Australian beach chatting over a drink in 5 months time... Look forward to hearing from you!
  7. Thatguy

    Banjos Backpackers - Perth

    Booked my stay at the Banjos Backpackers in Perth for when i arrive on the 1st of October. Review say it's really good so was just wondering if anybody else has stayed there whilst on their travels in Perth? Leigh
  8. Hey guys! My boyfriend and I have been travelling up the east coast of Australia for 3 months now and it has come to the time to sell him and move on! I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that would be interested in buying, or coming to look/test drive it! We have an ad on gumtree if you guys want to take a look - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/campervan/mitsubishi-express-l300-campervan-for-sale-engine-warranty/1020197908 We put a new engine and alternator in and it has warranty on all parts which is definitely reassuring! We've put the price on for 6000 but its definitely negotiable! We're around the Brisbane area at the moment but willing to drive down to Sydney or up to Cairns if need be! Thanks!
  9. Hi I made a reservation for the World Square Hostel in central Sydney on 19th of March this year for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period for 14 days starting from the 20th December until the 3rd January. Unfortunately me and my two friends have to head home soon. The only thing is that as of 1st November for NYE bookings the full amount was charged for the booking and I cannot get a refund. So I am wondering if there are any fellow travellers out there who would like to get the booking transferred over so I can get a refund or buy it off me. The booking is for 3 people staying in a 6 bed mixed dorm. The Hostel is located on Liverpool street right in the heart of the CBD it is a great location and has its own bar downstairs where all schooners are $3 all day everyday, I know this because I’ve been in quite a few times and it really is the cheapest bar in Sydney. The total amount I have paid for the booking is $1764, so it works out at $42 per person per night which I think is great really for central Sydney for two weeks over Christmas and New Year. When I spoke to the manager he said if I find someone else I can transfer the booking over. This is not a scam just a few fellow travellers in a bit of a rut. I f you would like more information please do not hesitate to ask me. Contact me by PM
  10. Seven National Parks in less than 70 km's around Albany, on the South coast of WA. Mountains, rivers, forests, temperate rainforests, squeaky white beaches, wild granite coastlines, natural harbours, wineries in abundance. If you are looking to live or travel to Australia, don't miss this region. I came here on a 3 month visa 27 years ago and never left! Albany is WA's first settlement, has a population of around 33,000, nestled between three hills and overlooks the harbour and Southern Ocean. The whole south west is beautiful and all the sites are close together, as opposed to going North of the state. WA is the size of Europe, with a population of just over 2 million. A lot of room to breathe! Just Google WA, there is so much more to WA than Perth and the surrounding areas. Waterfall Beach, Albany, WA Little Beach, Albany WA
  11. Extending working holiday visas so backpackers can stay and work longer in agricultural jobs could make a difference to the chronic labour shortages facing Australia’s farming and rural sectors.Currently, backpackers under the age of 30 can visit Australia for 12 months under 417 visas where they are permitted to work six months of that time to help supplement their holidays. The time-frame can be extended to 24 months if the backpackers work in regional areas for three months, while using their first visa. Australia has reciprocal working holiday visa arrangements with the UK, Ireland, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea. Working holiday arrangements under the 462 visa classification also exist between Australia and Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Turkey, Chile and the US - encouraging cultural exchanges and closer ties. However, when those visas expire, rural employers often face the conundrum of having to let good workers go, having trained them and developed solid working rapports - even with a local labour shortage. They can apply for a 457 visa which allows businesses to employ non-Australians under sponsorship arrangements, to fill voids in certain skill sectors. Under those rules, workers can spend four years employed in an Australian business, bring family with them and travel to and from the country freely. The workers must be sponsored by an employer and have certain skills, qualifications, experience, and an employment background, matching the position’s requirements. They must also demonstrate a certain level of competence in speaking English; be eligible for any relevant licences or registrations required for the nominated position; and have health insurance. AgriLabour Australia business development manager Luke Brown said extending 417 and 462 working holiday visas, by as little as 12 months, would make an immediate difference to help relieve the massive workforce shortages in rural and farming areas.
  12. The following company is looking for pickers and packers from June until November http://www.koogiedowns.com
  13. Guest

    Anyone About??

    Hi people anyone in Central Coast/Sydney area? Came out to see my dad and family for a bit now looking for people to have a drink with and see what's going on!!
  14. Backpackers are once again flying the flag for the state's ailing tourist industry, in the first positive signs of a rebound in the youth market. Latest figures show a surge in numbers of young British, Irish, French and German travellers coming here on working holiday visas. Experts believe the resurgent "bread-and-butter" backpacker market is the first glimmer of hope for the Sunshine State after two years in the doldrums thanks to a high Australian dollar and natural disasters. Tourism Queensland's latest campaign, Work and Play, the smash-hit BBC documentary Great Barrier Reef, and record-high youth unemployment in Europe are behind the influx of young travellers. Former forensic scientist Naomi Mack, 28, of Cambridge, was one of 18 happy winners out of 1051 applicants to pick up a free working holiday visa and a guaranteed job in the online campaign. She is now driving a bus for JJ's backpacker hostel in Cairns. In just two weeks, she has dived at the reef and visited the rainforest, and she plans to jungle-surf, horse-ride on the beach and drive the waterfall circuit. "Lots of young people in the UK are losing their jobs and thinking of taking a break in Australia," Ms Mack said. "I'm here to take a break between my work and my future, have a good time and meet some people." About 16,000 Brits (up 1.9 per cent) took up a working holiday visa last year, along with 8000 Irish youth (up 25 per cent). Germans were up 10 per cent, and French up 4 per cent. About one in four German travellers enjoys their holiday so much they apply to stay on for a second year on the visa. "It is the No.1 dream destination for youth in that part of the world," said Tourism Queensland director Jane Nicholson, based in London. She said 60 per cent of young Brits headed to Queensland. "Backpackers are the bread-and-butter, the meat-and-potatoes, of the tourist trade. They go everywhere, they try anything, come here longer, and spend more money."
  15. Is anyone off to the Expo on the 29th-30th October at Sydney Town Hall? Find out...where to go...what to do...where to stay...where the jobs are...and more. 2011 Sydney expo highlights: Free BBQ outside the venue each day from 1pm (get in while stocks last!) Free Barista-made coffee (inside the venue...from 1pm - again while stocks last) Main door prize - a return flight to the UK Great free Travel Talks (popular talks repeated daily...I have attached the list) Fantastic exhibitors...have a look at the attachment for the current exhibitor list Plus a heap of other prizes and specials deals, free wine/beer samples and more...
  16. http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/backpacker.jsp I am sorry as a citizen I am a little jealous that backpackers receive such a huge discount on trips on the Ghan etc. For example from Adelaide to Darwin on the Ghan for a local it is $746 whereas a backpacker can get it for $330:no: Sydney to Perth for a local is $751 for a backpacker $299 If you can do this trip whilst you are backpacking go for it, I've never been able to afford for us all to do it, but if I win the lottery it will be one of many trips. I even thought of saying I was a back packer but the terms and conditions are: Terms and Conditions #Austrail Pass Terms and Conditions The pass is issued to and accepted by the person named on the ticket, subject to the Railways Acts bylaws, Regulations and General Conditions of Carriage in force in each Railway System to which the travel applies. This pass is valid for use on specified rail and coach services operated by the following Railway systems - Great Southern Rail (Red Service Seats); QR Traveltrain (economy seats); Countrylink (economy seats). This pass is not valid on any Metropolitan services of North Queensland Tourist Train services. Travel must commence with the pass validated within 6 months of the date of purchase. Travel must be completed within 6 months of the date of validation endorsed on the pass at the initial point of departure. The holder may upgrade to travel in First Class, Business Class or Red Premium Service Seats and sleeping berths on payment of the applicable upgrade amount. The pass is only available for purchase by bona fide overseas visitors to Australia. A passport must be produced at the first time of purchase to verify the passenger is a resident of another country. A reservation is essential prior to the use of the pass and entitles the passenger to one allocation on any service. The travel pass is a receipt only and does not guarantee travel. A reservation for each individual sector of travel is necessary to obtain a valid travel ticket. This pass must be presented with the passport of the holder at the ticket office of the departure of the initial journey for validation and endorsing the Total period of availability on the Pass document. The passport with ticket is to be produced by the holder for all subsequent journeys at either the ticket office or to onboard staff for verification. For full conditions and important travel tips please refer to the information provided with each operators travel ticket.The pass is only available for full adult fares no concessions apply. The pass is subject to a fuel price surcharge per sector booked on The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland. This Pass is not transferable. One passenger only per Pass. No refund is payable on passes that have been validated, nor are refunds allowed on lost or stolen passes. Applications for refund on unused passes must be submitted to the issuing office within 12 months of the date of issue and a 10% refund fee is payable. For passes purchased overseas, refunds cannot be obtained in Australia. ^*#All fares quoted in Australian dollars. ^*#All fares valid until 31 March 2012
  17. THREE English backpackers have been released from the Cairns watch-house on bail as the police officer they allegedly assaulted recovers from his injuries on sick leave. Stephan Jarrett, 31, Lewis Whiteside, 22, and Sally Summersgill, 21, were bailed yesterday on condition they hand over their passports. It is alleged the trio assaulted a sergeant at Palm Cove about 3am Thursday, knocking him unconscious before attacking his partner, who tried to help him. Police opposed bail in Cairns Magistrates’ Court yesterday, arguing they had no fixed residence because they were thrown out of the caravan park they were living in over the incident. Police prosecutor Sen-Constable Bob Soper said the alleged assault was "very serious in nature". "The officer in question who has been assaulted is now on sick leave," he said. He said capsicum spray was used, and a taser was deployed. Mr Jarrett was found to have cannabis and amphetamines on him and was charged with drug offences, and Mr Whiteside also faces a charge of public nuisance. All three have been charged with assaulting police. Defence solicitor Tom Eckersley said at least one of the accused would contest the charge. He said he also believed two of them could be dealt with under the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act, rather than the criminal code, because their charges only related to a shoulder charge and a shove. Mr Eckersley said without passports, the trio had nowhere to go and were not a flight risk. "It is in their best interests to remain in the community," he said. Acting magistrate Kerry McFadden said the backpackers would need to report to Smithfield police station twice a week and not approach any point of international departure. They surrendered their passports to police yesterday. "I’m satisfied that imposing conditions on these defendants will ensure they appear on the next (court) date," Mr McFadden said. They will appear again on October 21.
  18. VISAS A person holding a Working Holiday visa (class 417 or class 462) is generally referred to as a backpacker. He must be under the age of 30. He (or she) is legally entitled to work during his holiday in Australia. He is entitled to remain in Australia for 12 months, work for half of that time but must not stay at any one job for more than six months. While in Australia, he can apply to have his visa extended from 12 months to 24 months. Australia has reciprocal Working Holiday (class 417) visa arrangements with UK, Ireland, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea. Australia also has Working Holiday (class 462) visa arrangements with Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Turkey, Chile and USA. A backpacker can also apply for other temporary work visas or even a permanent visa while in Australia provided, of course, that he otherwise qualifies. The most popular visas applied for by backpackers whilst in Australia are a) permanent residency visas and b) employer-sponsored temporary work visas. If a backpacker applies for a permanent visa, then in judging his eligibility, he will be awarded extra points for having spent time on a working holiday in Australia. A backpacker who applies for permanent or temporary residence will stand a strong chance of obtaining it if a) he has professional or trade qualifications, b) he has some years work experience in his profession or trade and c) he speaks fluent English. It generally takes from 5 to 8 months between applying for a work visa and obtaining it. Further information regarding obtaining permanent and temporary visas can be obtained at the Immigration Department's website. Applications can be made online. MEDICAL EXPENSES Australian residents carry a Medicare card. This entitles them to free or subsidised medical care. Non-residents are not entitled to subsidised medical care. But Australia has concluded reciprocal medical agreements with the following countries viz. UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Italy, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia. Residents of these countries, with the exceptions of New Zealand and Ireland, mostly have access to health care on the same basis as Australian residents i.e. they get free public hospital care, subsidised prescriptions and a refund of 85% of doctors' fees. The can also apply in person at at any Medicare office and obtain a Medicare card similar to the card carried by Australian residents. Many doctors charge only 85% of the set fee ( i.e. "bulk bill") so the patient has nothing further to pay in those cases. Residents of New Zealand and Ireland are also entitled to free public hospital care and subsidised prescriptions but not a refund of 85% of doctors' fees. However, they can have free access to a doctor by attending an out-patients' clinic at a public hospital. Backpackers who are not residents of any of the afore-mentioned countries will have to rely on their travel insurance to get a refund. If a backpacker has paid medical expenses in Australia and he is entitled to a refund, he can obtain the refund by applying in person at any Medicare office or online. He should take his passport with him when claiming the refund and also when attending for medical treatment. For example, assume Fiona, a UK backpacker, sees a doctor who "bulk bills" and pays her a $25 consultation fee. She obtains a prescription for "the pill" from her. Next she goes along to her nearest Medicare office, presents the doctor's receipt and her passport and then obtains a cash refund of the $25. Then, she goes along to her local pharmacist and pays him the standard prescription charge of $34.20 to have the prescription dispensed. SUPERANNUATION Non-residents are entitled to receive a refund of superannuation contributions paid by their ex-employers on their behalf. "Superannuation contributions" is the Australian term for "retirement pension contributions". All employers must contribute a compulsory 9% of wages to an approved superannuation (pension) fund. The backpacker is entitled to a refund of this when he has left the country. However, the refund is subject to a tax-deduction of 30% i.e. the taxpayer receives the refund less 30%. Application for the refund must be made from outside the country. However, it can be applied for online from outside the country. Some superannuation amounts will be held by the Tax Office. Other superannuation amounts will be held by the respective superannuation funds. Accordingly, details of superannuation funds that the backpacker has contributed to must be provided to the Tax Office. The Tax Office then will send details of your application to each of the Funds that you have nominated. They, in turn, will contact you directly and pay you the refund, normally within 28 days. The Tax Office maintains a register of lost superannuation accounts i.e. person for whom the superannuation funds have no longer a valid address. It is probable that a quite a few backpackers are on this register. The register may be consulted online at the Tax Office's SuperSeeker site. Accordingly, before leaving Australia, a backpacker should 1) contact all of his former employers, 2) from each employer request a tax Payment Summary (Group Certificate) if he has not already received one and also ascertain from the employer a) the name of the superannuation fund to which the employer has contributed and b) the employee membership no. Let us take an example of a typical backpacker superannuation refund. Fiona earned $5,000 as a fruit picker during her working holiday in Australia. Her employer contributed 9% of $5,000 i.e $450 in superannuation. Fiona will get back $315. i.e. 70% of $450. TAXATION Backpackers not holding a Working Holiday visa are generally not entitled to work under the terms of their visa. If they do in fact work, then they are subject to Australian tax in exactly the same way as Working Holiday visa holders. Before starting work in Australia, a person must obtain an official Tax File No.; otherwise tax will be deducted from all wages received at the rate of 46.5%. When applying for the Tax File No, proof of identity must normally be supplied. An application form to obtain a Tax File No. can be obtained from any Post Office. However, a backpacker can now obtain a Tax File No. online from the Tax Office's website. This has the added advantage that under this arrangement proof of identity does not have to be supplied. If a backpacker expects to be self-employed during any part of his stay in Australia, then he should obtain an Australian Business No. (ABN) from the Tax Office. Otherwise tax will be deducted at 46.5% from his payments. The ABN can be obtained online. To sum up then, if you are going to Australia on a working holiday, be sure to apply for a Tax File No. ( and an ABN, if necessary) before seeking work. After obtaining a Tax File No. and before beginning work, an employee must complete an Employee Declaration form. This requires the person to state whether he is a tax-resident or not. If he is not a tax-resident, the employer must deduct tax at non-resident rates i.e. 29%. Later, when completing his Tax Return, a taxpayer must also state whether or not he is a resident. The Australian financial year runs from the 1st July to the 30th June. Every backpacker should file an Australian Tax Return as soon as possible after the 30th June each year. If the backpacker is leaving Australia before the end of the financial year i.e prior to 30th June, then he can complete a Tax Return for the year in advance and lodge it with the Australian Taxation Office. A backpacker can now file his Tax Return online and, of course, from anywhere in the world. A backpacker does not need a tax clearance certificate from the Tax Office before leaving Australia. When completing the Return, it should be noted that the deductible expenses available to Australian employees are more generous than for many overseas countries. For example, taxpayers can claim as deductions from income "all expenses incurred in earning income". This will include travel on duty, protective clothing and footwear, washing and laundry of protective clothing, cost of training courses, trade union fees, tools, business use of private phone, relevant books and publications, licences and registration fees, stationery used for work, bank charges re deposit of wages, tax agent fees, donations to charities etc. A backpacker cannot claim the cost of his living expenses in Australia as a living-away-from-home deduction or allowance. A taxpayer can claim up to $300 in work-related expenses before he will be required to provide receipts to the Tax Office if audited. Most people in Australia engage a Tax Agent to lodge their Return. The Tax Office will send any refund to the Tax Agent if an agent has been engaged or to the overseas address of the taxpayer otherwise if the taxpayer has left Australia. Tax Returns can be lodged from an overseas location as well. In such a case, the best solution would be to contact an Australian-based Tax Agent through the Internet. As previously mentioned, a backpacker can also file his Tax Return online. GST tax is the Australian equivalent of VAT tax. It is 10% added to the sale price. It should be noted that all persons leaving Australia are entitled to a refund of GST tax on goods taken out of the country. The goods must exceed $300 and must be carried as hand-luggage. The refund is obtained at the airport at departure time. For example, a week before departure from Australia, Fiona buys a laptop computer for $660. Later at departure, after clearing passport-control at the airport, she presents a) the invoice and b) the laptop to the Customs officer at the refund-booth. The Customs officer arranges to have a refund cheque of $60 sent to her home address (i.e. 1/11th of the purchase price). How does the taxation of backpackers differ from the taxation of Australian workers in general? First, it must be observed that, under the present interpretation of the law by the Tax Office, backpackers may or may not be deemed to be tax-residents of Australia. Tax-residency is quite distinct from immigration-status residency. The Tax Office now has a calculator on its website to determine whether a person is a tax-resident. You should use this to determine whether you are a tax-resident. You should keep a copy of its findings, if possible. Who is regarded as an Australian tax resident? This is a complex area of taxation law. But it can be summarised in a nutshell as follows: a) those who come to Australia solely to work, even for a short period, will be regarded as tax-residents; b) overseas students will be regarded as tax-residents; c) holiday-makers will not be regarded as tax-residents; e) those combining a holiday with work will sometimes be regarded as tax-residents and sometimes not. An example of the latter class is a person holding a Working Holiday visa. In general, travellers will not be regarded as tax-residents. But a backpacker who abandons his wandering ways and successfully applies to the Immigration Department for permanent residency or a temporary work visa will be regarded as a tax-resident from the date of his application. Further information regarding tax-residency can be found in the relevant tax Ruling at the ATO website and also at Residency. For example, Fiona, a nurse, decides she does not want to go back to the UK but wants to remain permanently in Australia. On the 1st May, she applies to the Immigration Department for permanent residency status as a skilled migrant. She decides to settle permanently in Sydney and she rents a flat there. She obtains a job as a nurse with the promise of the position being made permanent when she obtains permanent residency status. Subsequently, Fiona hears from the Immigration Department that she has obtained permanent residency status. Fiona will be regarded as a tax-resident of Australia from the date she filed her application for permanent residency i.e. 1st May. What difference does it make if one is not regarded as a tax-resident? Residents are taxed on their world-wide income. Non-residents are taxed only on the income arising from Australia. Residents pay no tax on first $6,000 of annual taxable income and pay tax at 15% on the next $31,000. Non-residents, however, do not get the concession of a tax-free allowance and are taxed at a flat rate of 29% on the first $37,000 they earn in Australia. As they can only work for 6 months of their 12 months stay, they are therefore unlikely to earn more than $37,000, so as a general rule they are taxed at a flat rate of 29% on their earnings. Thus, a resident who earns $37,000 in a year will pay tax of $5,115 (including levy) but a non-resident backpacker will pay tax of $10,730 on the same income. In addition, non-residents are not entitled to Tax Offsets for dependents etc. e.g. maintaining a spouse, child etc. Australia has concluded Double Taxation treaties with many countries. Most of these treaties provide that the following categories of persons are not subject to Australian tax but that they are subject to their home-country taxation regime. The categories are: a) self-employed professionals working in Australia for less than 183 days and who do not have their own office or branch in Australia, b) ordinary employees in Australia for less than 183 days and working for an overseas company that does not have a branch or office in Australia and c) teachers teaching in Australia for less than two years. Few backpackers will be able to avail themselves of these provisions. What advantages do non-residents have, tax-wise? 1. They are exempt from the Medicare levy. The Medicare levy is 1.5% levy on income which all residents have to pay to cover medical costs. 2. They do not have to pay Australian tax on income arising outside Australia. 3. In most cases, they pay tax at 10% only (and not 29%) on interest derived from an Australian bank account. This arises from the provisions of the Double Taxation treaties. Let us take an example of a typical backpacker income-tax refund. Let us continue with the previous example of Fiona who is regarded as a non-resident and who earned $5,000 as a fruit picker during her working holiday in Australia. Her employer deducted tax at the regulation 29% from her wages i.e. 29% on $5,000 =$1,450. Fiona has the following tax deductions viz. protective clothing and footwear $300; implements $100; sun-protection products $100; bag $50. Total deductions are $550. Fiona lodges her Tax Return after the end of the financial year and employs a Tax Agent to lodge it for her. His fee is $120. Fiona's refund is calculated as follows. Fiona has a refund of $159 out of which the Tax Agent's fee of $120 comes, leaving Fiona with a net refund of $39. In effect, Fiona has received a refund at 29% on her deductions of $550 less the Tax Agent's fee. However, in most cases, work-related expenses would not exceed $300. Information kindly provided by: http://members.iinet.net.au/~patrick6/default.html
  19. Ok here is the one for Perth
  20. The Pom Queen

    Barstaff Vacancy for BackPackers

    Job Title: Barmaid / Hotel Allrounder Job Reference: Barmaid / Hotel Allrounder Start Date: ASAP Contact Number: 07 4745 6184 or email: info@clubhotelcroydon.com.au or shawn@clubhotelcroydon.com.au State: QLD - Far North QLD Town /City: Croydon Job Category Hospitality Job Type: Casual Salary: On Asking Job Description: This job requires an immediate start we are looking for someone to join our team in our country hotel/Motel that offers down right country hospitality. Duties will include bar work, customer service, cleaning, and kitchen duties. We provide meal's and your own room. We ask for a commitment of minimum two months but if you want to stay longer that's great. Although we are in quite a remote location there is always the opportunity to have fun, meet the locals and experience rural life in Australia
  21. Ok, here we have the Melbourne Hostel thread. Melbourne Connection Travellers Hostel - This one doesn't get very good reviews. Melbourne Connection is a homely, comfortable and friendly backpacker hostel located in the westend of Melbourne central city on King St. We are a fun and vibrant hostel that caters to backpackers and other budget conscious travellers. Whether you are visiting Melbourne as part of your big adventure around Oz, a sporting event or just a weekend away, make the Melbourne Connection backpackers your place to stay. We are competitively priced and offer value for money only minutes from lively bars, tasty restaurants and all the famous sights of the city. So if you are a backpacker or simply looking for affordable accommodation in one of the smaller hostels in Melbourne look no further. Our small atmospheric backpacker hostel is registered with Melbourne City Council, and our Fire protection services comply with all current legal requirements, this we feel is important when choosing your hostel. Melbourne Connection welcome's backpackers and other budget conscious travellers from all Nations who may be visiting Melbourne for holiday, weekend away, study, work, a sporting event, make the Melbourne Connection backpackers your base in Melbourne. So if you are a backpacker or simply looking for affordable accommodation in one of the smaller hostels in Marvelous Melbourne look no further to make your booking. We are also a member of BOAV (Backpacker Operators Association Victoria). The Melbourne Connection Backpackers & Travellers Hostel offers all guests : FREE TEA & COFFEE Prepaid INTERNET ACCESS AVAILABLE (WIFI also available) FREE LUGGAGE STORAGE 24 hour secure access to hostel (no curfew). 24 hour Check in. Fully equipped Kitchen & Communal meal area. Video/DVD lounge 42" Plasma TV Printing facilities Friendly helpful staff Employment assistance & guidance Tourist information Car Hire
  22. Guest

    The Backpackers Thread

    Have met and talked with a load of backpackers in Australia over many, many years, thought I would put this thread up in the hope that it may help.:biglaugh: 1. Don't within weeks of landing start to finish your sentences as if you are asking a question. 2. Don't treat it as a shagfest. Sooner or later you will end up in the local clinic with several other backpackers looking for an antidote to many a STD. 3. Wearing a T shirt saying 'I jumped with A. J Hackett' just screams TOURIST. 4. The Crocodile signs are not a photo opportunity. A paddle may result in death. 5. Braiding your hair at the local Sunday market really isn't a good look. 6. Don't trust the cuddly Koalas. Without a moments hesitation they will rip your face off. 7. Arriving p7ssed at the immigration hall because of too many drinks on the plane may result in a very personal body search. 8. It's never a good idea to say, 'Bloody hell, it's hot today'. You may be met with a response that contains the letters 'FCUK' and 'FIT IN'. 9. Backpackers accommodation is just that. Curling tongs, straighteners, waxes, the latest edition of Vogue may be frowned on. 10. Tattoos may seem a great idea at the time, but when back in the UK you may live to regret the 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie tat emblazoned on your upper thigh or forearm. 11. NOBODY looks good in an Akubra hat, except for old and grizzled Aussies and outback farmers. 12. Didgeridoo lessons are all well and good, but remember the 'real' musicians of this instrument look upon it as a serious endeavour and you will be frowned upon if you insist on blowing raspberries down it and making duck noises. 13. 'Bloody hell, this beers cold' is a rather strange comment to make bearing in mind you are in a HOT country. 14. Reading Aristotle or The Beach doesn't make you more attractive to the opposite sex. 15. Australia is HUGE. Don't ask an Aussie for directions from Perth to Adelaide. 16. When meeting an Aussie for the first time as an opening gambit, 'Ha ha, what did your ancestors get nicked for to be sent here', is not a great idea. 17. A tour of the local wineries is not an excuse to get p7ssed and start singing 'God Save The Queen'. 18. For the blokes. Budgie smugglers NEVER look good. Particulary when adorning a lily white torso. 19. Make sure you know who you are talking to. Saying to an Aussie 'I knew a fella from New Zealand that had your accent', will not go down to well. 20. Last but not least, saying 'What is it with these piddly glasses, where can I get a pint? will be met with a rather stern look. Tongue in cheek folks. Cheers Tony:wink:
  23. The global financial crisis is forcing backpackers to look for harvest work due to a shortage of hospitality and bar jobs in cities, according to National Harvest Labour Information Service (NHLIS) manager Robert Cameron. Cameron told the Weekly Times the NHLIS was receiving more than 1000 phone calls a day from backpackers looking for seasonal work. He said the GFC had reduced spending on discretionary items such as eating out, making hospitality jobs hard to come by and forcing backpackers into the fields.
  24. My daughter has left australia and is now working in New Zealnd, can anyone advise me how I may claim back the tax she paid in, she worked July - Sept 09. Also can you claim back the super. Many thanks Carole
  25. Hi, My son and his mates have been in Perth since Febuary 11th and cannot fid any work at all. Anyone on here who can point them in the right direction? My son done 1 weeks work Tarmacing for 12 hours a day in the 35+ temp however the guys running the job, just disappeared over night for some reason. He is ringing job vacancies every day only to be told that the jobs are gone ( I have my own thoughts on why this should be the case - in fact he has even had the phone put down on him!) Anyway, any help appreciated. As things stand he may have to come back to the U.K at this rate. Please mail me on arrbc at hotmail dot com if you can help/ Regards - JB