Student Loan

Guest matt9180

Guest matt9180

Hi

Is anybody still paying a UK student loan from Oz? I contacted the loans company and they said i should leave a UK bank account open when i leave (Jan 11th) for the direct debit to come out.

So can i transfer money automatically on a monthly basis from Australia to my UK bank account?

Thanks

Hi Matt,

When I took out my student loan in 2000, I'm sure I read on the bumph that you could arrange to pay it off from abroad. I specifically looked cos I knew we'd move to Oz at some point. I personally have no intention of leaving an account open just to pay my student loan! What a pain and very inconvenient, not to mention potentially expensive if the exchange rate is a bit crap, there must be an easier way.....

I'll keep an eye on this thread as it will affect me soon,

Bec x

Guest matt9180

Thanks Bec yes you can pay it back from abroad by the method i said above or by sending back cheques which definately aint gonna happen. Just been looking on hifx.co.uk who say they can organise regular payments back to the uk so maybe thats the way forward?

Anyone else?

Hi, I moved to Oz a couple of months ago, and told the student loan company, who sent me a form to confirm I was leaving the country. They did not seem to have a clue past that though; I would have to pay the money back they said, but did not stipulate how. Will also keep an eye on this, as so keen to leave the country at the time, I didn't think it through myself!

Joanne

Guest caroline
Thanks Bec yes you can pay it back from abroad by the method i said above or by sending back cheques which definately aint gonna happen. Just been looking on hifx.co.uk who say they can organise regular payments back to the uk so maybe thats the way forward?

Anyone else?

Hi,

I am silly enough to be paying my student loan from Oz. If I had not still been within the UK tax system, because we are renting out our property and still theoretically earning an income (if only!), I would have disappeared without the slightest regret of leaving this debt behind! However, logic says that as I still have an income in the UK and have to complete a tax return, the SLC can still trace me (and fine me lots of money if they do, so they say).

When I first arrived here I was not working so duly told SLC this. 'Send proof' they replied, by which time I have a full time job.... I now pay them monthly by direct debit from my UK account which is still open for the rent from our property to be paid into. I haven't looked at how to pay this from Oz because I think I'll be stung each month by the fluctuating exchange rates.

Hope this helps,

Caroline

Guest matt9180

Thanks. I've got to send the loans company a copy of my bank statement to show i can live off my savings whilst im looking for a job so wont have to pay the loan back during that period. As soon as i get a job i've got to let them know and they'll tell me how much i have to pay. So im leaving a UK bank account open and it costs $35 to transfer money from Oz to the Uk which i'll do once every 3 months or so.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nelson

I may be way off track here, but my clear understanding was that if a person was outside the EU for more than two years, they didn't have to pay it back anyway... anyone else heard this kind of ruling??

Archived