What documents shall I take?

lauradarlin

Hi all

Hoping someone can offer some advice...I'm heading to Perth in July for a year on a working holiday visa. I'm trying to travel as light as possible (to keep room for shoes obviously) and thinking about what I'll need paper copies of and what I'll be able to scan and use electronic copies of.

Obviously I'll have my passport and driving licence with me but in terms of looking for work and accommodation will I need things like my birth certificate, bank/mortgage statements to prove financial reliability? I know in the UK employers need original ID before they'll employ you, are things the same in Oz?

Anyone have any experience of what employers/land lords ask for and if they'd accept Google docs versions or my own scanned docs?

Cheers

You will need you passport and your drivers licence. I cant imagin that you will need birth certificate or bank statements. One thing that I did have when I went on WHV was NHS card - for when you register with medicare, a passport is usually enough to show eligiblity but sometimes they can ask for it.

A print out of your WHV grant will be what employers will want to see for your eligibity to work. To open a bank account I just required my passport.

Having your resume already done in Australian style will be helpful for when you are looking for work. Possibly having copies of employer references would alos be good.

Make sure someone has a copy of all your details. My daughter had her bag stolen in Sydney, lost mob. phone, bank cards, medicare card etc. Luckily didn't have her passport with her. It made it much easier to canx everything and then re-new as we had all the details.

Have a great time.

Passport, driving license, european health card.

You shouldn't need a birth certificate. When you get here, you'll need to register with medicare for a reciprocal card, and open a bank account over here. Your medicare and bank cards/statements combined with UK passport and Driving license should be enough in terms of ID for most things. (when you open the account, ask for a printout of an initial statement, as otherwise it could be up to two months before you get something in the post).

Anything else, just scan and email to youself. also scan copies of the documents you're carrying with you in case you lose them. And make a note of the serial numbers of anything expensive that you'll be carrying.

You can set up a bank account from UK. My daughter used NAB, and just activated it on arrival, was very easy. Also if you are intending to work when you get here, organise your TFN tax file number sooner than later when you arrive here.

Also even if you are from UK and can get medicare, it's sensible to have travel insurance. At least my D can claim for her lost items.

Hopefully between us all most things that you need will be covered.

Yes, definitely have travel insurance, at least to cover the trip at either end. During your stay, up to you whether you decide to just have medicare and separate ambulance cover, or keep your travel insurance going. Be aware that if you choose the no travel insurance route, you'd be liable for any repatriation costs, or for a relative to fly out to you from the UK, and no cover if your bags get stolen etc.

Personally I would just go with the travel insurance for the whole time, but sign up for reciprocal medicare anyway, since that'll save you $30 on every GP visit.

You can get a good years backpackers insurance if you are coming from UK, and also re-new it from here here. I will let you know which one my D has if you need it, and as R Dr says get medicare as well. Had forgotten that some states charge extra for ambulance as we are in QLD, and will also check if this is covered on her insurance.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips. I'd love it if you could give me the company your daughter used for travel insurance Ramot as my mother is currently stressing out, specifically about repatriation :S I don;t go til July though so have time to shop around. Someone else mentioned that its sometimes difficult to get insurance without a set return date, I currently just have a one way ticket as I'm not sure where from or when I'll want to come home.

Lebourvellec, do you know where I can view typical Australian resumes to get a good idea of style? I'm actually a careers adviser here in the UK so CVs are my daily grind!!

Thanks all x

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips. I'd love it if you could give me the company your daughter used for travel insurance Ramot as my mother is currently stressing out, specifically about repatriation :S I don;t go til July though so have time to shop around. Someone else mentioned that its sometimes difficult to get insurance without a set return date, I currently just have a one way ticket as I'm not sure where from or when I'll want to come home.

Lebourvellec, do you know where I can view typical Australian resumes to get a good idea of style? I'm actually a careers adviser here in the UK so CVs are my daily grind!!

Thanks all x

Insure & Go Backpacker silver. Don't know who it was through,I'm sure you can google or possibly STA travel will know. She went to Africa first for 9 months, and then renewed the policy here after 1 year for another 6 months. I don't know if it can be re-newed further.

If you search on Poms, someone has given CV suggestions for Oz. The main problem for getting work here seems to be lack of Australian work experience.

Good luck and tell your mother to try not to worry!!!!

I used Downunder insure for my insurance as they gave you worldwide insurance if you spend majority of your time in Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.travellers.com.au/

This site might be useful - they have offices in Sydney that you can drop in to, they have jobs on boards and can ask information about anything. I did my WHV with BUNAC - they also did mail forwarding, had computers and printers for doing CVs, and you could leave extra luggage etc in there offices. http://www.bunac.org/uk/workaustralia/

Archived