Existing braces from uk to oz

SuzieH

Does anyone have any experience of this. My daughter is having braces fitted today but she needs to have different braces over the next 2-3 years. We haven't told our orthodontist that we are planning a move to Oz as we want our daughter's treatment to start over here. We're hoping to move within the year over there. I'll be on a student visa so apparently we can't get medicare so does that mean we'll have to pay when she carries on treatment over there?

You will have to pay for treatment in Australia anyway regardless of whether you are on a student visa or not - ballpark $6k+ these days. Orthodontics arent covered by medicare and if she starts her treatment in UK then you wont get cover from the private health insurance that you will have to take out as it will be an existing condition.

You will most likely find that an Aussie orthodontist will rip off her UK braces and start all over again - they wont be held accountable for someone else's work, you see. If you cant finish the job in UK then wait and do it in Aus because the UK bit will be a bit of a waste of time and energy.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

My daughter has just had braces fitted and her dentist said they have contacts over in Australia to carry on the work, so maybe you can ask if your dentist has this same arrangement. Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies. As she has already started her treatment and we're not sure when we will be moving over but are hoping this year, we would rather keep her treatment going over in England as it is free. Next time we go to see orthodontist I will ask about carrying on her treatment once over there.

Guest haunted1234

im dreading this as my youngest was born with Cleft Lip and Palate and will certainly need orthodontic treatment in the next couple of years to straighten and adjust his teeth due to the condition he was born with! it's a lot of money! maybe i should make him pay when he leaves school, gets a job and can fund it himself :wink: Medibank will only pay out a maximum of $3000 for orthodontic work...which will cover about half....

im dreading this as my youngest was born with Cleft Lip and Palate and will certainly need orthodontic treatment in the next couple of years to straighten and adjust his teeth due to the condition he was born with! it's a lot of money! maybe i should make him pay when he leaves school, gets a job and can fund it himself :wink: Medibank will only pay out a maximum of $3000 for orthodontic work...which will cover about half....

You might want to check to see if there is a Cleft palate program at one of the Brisbane hospitals - I know there is one in Melbourne as a relative had all her orthodontic work done there for free - mind you, the cost of the fares might be more than the orthodontics!!!

To the OP, it isnt the UK orthodontist you need to be talking to about continuing a program in Aus - IMHO it is highly unlikely that they will have connections in the part of Aus that you will be moving to - it is the Aus orthodontists who will make the decision. Of course they will continue with treatment but they will start again from where she is at - if they continue and it all goes wrong then they will refuse to be accountable for someone else's work which is quite reasonable in the circumstances given the costs involved.

My daughter started treatment in the UK and is finishing here. It will cost s $3600 in Australia to finish her orthodontic treatment. We were paying in the UK too.

Thanks for that - luckily we're not paying in the UK unless braces get broken so will just have to find somewhere out in Oz. Thanks

Archived