I come from a land up there.....

catlover1

Hi all, just arrived 3 months ago to NSW from London but originally from Dublin. Really missing the UK a lot more than I thought I would (apart from the tube that is!). The good old british caf, the telly and the sense of humour! I am finding it harder to settle than I had imagined even though my other half is an Aussie but he has been away for 13 years.

Any advice greatly appreciated! I am finding myself continuously skyping/face timing and catching on BBC I Player! And some Australian attitudes seem very outdated but we have moved to quite a small town so I suppose that is to be expected.

:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum, there are lots in the same position as yourself and they usually hang around in the Moving Back to the UK section even if they aren't going back

I'd try to leave Skype and so on alone for a bit. Or limit yourself so you are not sat in front of it when you could be off doing something else, even if its a bit of cleaning or window shopping. Just don't keep making do with cleaning or window shopping :P Make the time you spend online chatting a bit more special for a while and give you something to look forward to one evening a week or a couple of evenings or on the weekend. You can bet everyone back in the UK is out getting on with their lives just they happen to be online for a few hours at a crossover point so of course you'll be able to chat to them. But I'd avoid it for a while and make a point of not signing in to chat.

If you keep hankering after and getting yourself a fix of the UK so soon after arriving you may exacerbate missing it all the more. I'd look to broadening your horizons over there, join a few social groups or volunteer somewhere, take up a hobby or just focus more on life in Aus. Easier said than done but honestly, keeping one foot back in the UK like that isn't always the healthiest way to make a start in a new country. I personally tend to throw myself into life in a new country and get out there. I've done small town living overseas also (and had to learn a whole new language to boot) but it was great. I bought a bike so I had more independence, got in the train to the main city a few times a month to explore and have a change of scene and had some weekend breaks around the country also (ok so smaller countries but you can still travel a few hours from where you are to someplace to have a change of scene I'd hope).

My friends and I would also have an occasional TV night (in non English speaking countries that is) and we'd order a heap of pizza and a crate of beer and watch local TV, as in in the countries native language. Some of the cheesiest soaps, talk shows and dubbed TV shows and we'd give our own commentary/voice over or some such and make stuff up (and if we'd seen the episode in its native language and remembered it even better). And we'd watch a well known much loved movie (like Dirty Dancing dubbed into German) and have a giggle watching it, trying to remember the lines and so on and boggling a bit at the translations. Honestly, seeing Dallas dubbed into German and hearing JR sound like he did, after a few beers and good company, it was better than the real thing. Tom Cruise was even funnier, his voice didn't suit him ever, knowing how he sounded in English. Anyways, point of this, perhaps embrace Aussie TV from time to time, even if it unintentionally gives you a giggle. Seek out the good because its so bad stuff :cute:

Give yourself a chance to settle in, don't keep chasing the UK, focus on Aus and see if it can work for you :)

Hi Catlover sounds like you have too much spare time on your hands. You really need to be getting out and about and getting involved with things. Are you working? If not, how about doing some volunteer work or joining some clubs. It's natural to miss things but instead of looking backwards you need to look forward and look for the positives of where you are living. Maybe it will help if you don't think of living in Australia as 'this is for ever' but treat it as 'this is for now' and enjoy your new adventure. Think how many people would love to have the chance to have a new adventure like you are having. Hope you feel a bit more positive soon xx

Moss Vale is a little behind the times but that is one of its charms. :wink: We visit when we want a taste of life in an earlier time.

There are some great places to visit all around you in the Southern Highlands but you also have the Illawarra at the bottom of Macquarie Pass with some of the best beaches in the country if you want to get out and about.

Once you get used to the area it really is a magical place.

I think the Aussies are a lot more reserved than I thought they would be. I imagined that we would meet people at the shops or walking the dogs, get chatting and Bobs yr uncle invited to a Barbie and welcomed into the neighourhood with open arms.

The reality is it takes time to make friends, usually through a shared interest, school, job, night class etc

I have decided to do some volunteer work, I work in childcare so I am going to help out at some playgroups and maybe join. Class, cooking or photography or something.

Our son found like minded people on meetup.com he tried a couple of meet ups that he never went back to but he goes to a couple of others regularly and is meeting up with the same people, starting to become friends . . . . .. . . . . .

It is a big move and you have only been here a short while, relax, try and keep busy, easier said than done I know.

Good luck

Welcome to the forum, there are lots in the same position as yourself and they usually hang around in the Moving Back to the UK section even if they aren't going back

:mad:Honestly Kate suggesting that the OP visit the "Dark Side" after only 3 months in OZ is criminal. There are things discussed in the MBTTUK that will scar you for life! (Like which brand of Bake Beans is the best):biggrin:

P.S. You're not feeling a bit homesick to day are you Kate?

:mad:Honestly Kate suggesting that the OP visit the "Dark Side" after only 3 months in OZ is criminal. There are things discussed in the MBTTUK that will scar you for life! (Like which brand of Bake Beans is the best):biggrin:

Disagree - the OP is setting herself up to fail, so why not get herself into the mindset of moving back? OTOH, if she really wants to give things a go, then she will accept the sage advice above, and start living in Australia.

Guest The Pom Queen

Nope sorry you will never get me back. I do understand what you are saying but it is times like this you want to meet/chat with people in the same situation. I'm not telling her to move back (although do you really want to stay where the sausage is rubbish) as she is going through the homesickness phase that usually kicks in between 3 - 9 months

Archived