Visa 176 already granted - implications of getting married before we actually arrive?

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

ok.... We are still in the UK and have been waiting for house prices to go back up before selling up and emigrating. We have been since we got our visas in 2008. Prices have never recovered and our visas expire next year so we are just going to put the house on the market and go. The only thing is my fiance would love for us to get married before we go and our reception could double up as a big farewell party. If we do get married before we make the final move to Oz what would we need to do wrt letting DIAC know?

Anyone else get married after visa granted?

ok.... We are still in the UK and have been waiting for house prices to go back up before selling up and emigrating. We have been since we got our visas in 2008. Prices have never recovered and our visas expire next year so we are just going to put the house on the market and go. The only thing is my fiance would love for us to get married before we go and our reception could double up as a big farewell party. If we do get married before we make the final move to Oz what would we need to do wrt letting DIAC know?

Anyone else get married after visa granted?

I advise that you take professional advice about your proposed change of circumstances, or at least read your visa grant letter.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose that is the best idea... I will look out the visa grant letter and see what it says.

I don't mind waiting until we are in Australia and get married later on if we want to - once we are settled. I just thought I would try to find out if anyone else had been in the same situation as there seem to be quite a few of us who got our visas at the time the markets crashed and have been hanging on here in the UK waiting for things to get better/houses to sell/pound to grow stronger and basically it's been a waste of time.

Often the grant may say not to marry before first entry, my sons have that clause on their visas (we are already married).

But you sound like you have already validated your visa and she was included as a de-facto partner. If this is the case you do not have to inform them. But do double check your visa grant.

All offshore visa grants say you must notify DIAC of any change in circumstances BEFORE your first entry to Oz not for ever afterwards.

Archived