Top things to see and do in Perth in 2 weeks?

sazgeering

Hey - posted another thread like this an a different section - any one got any must-see things to do or see in the Perth area? We're coming out for 2 weeks in July and will have a hire car to get out and explore.

We know when we do move it won't all be sight-seeing, so thought it'd be nice to do some whilst we're out activating our visas!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Well we love hot sunny weather and going to the beach, free of charge, its what gives us a buzz and Perth is brilliant for that.

We loved it at Cottesloe beach, swimming in the beautiful warm azure sea and sitting out on the grass eating fish and chips in the hot sunshine. We also did the city tram ride and went up to kings park and the views over the city and the swan river were incredible. We went to penguin island and took a picnic, all free, we walked across the sand bank and there were penguins swimming about. More to follow.

We went to the zoo which was a great day out the kids were feeding the Roos and they were really excited. We also went to a wildlife park and again they fed the animals, again they loved it. We had a day out at Manduragh on a boat watching the dolphins and then we had a swim in the sea where the man made beach is, it was really warm and so clear, incredible and then we had fish and chips again, they were gorgeous.

We had a day out at Hillarys and went into the sea life centre and again swam in the sea, we had Great time, theres a few slides there as well, but it wasn't cheap. Really loved Hillarys. We went to a water park near Freemantle and the kids loved it and then we went to Freonand we thought it was a great place, we had a meal in a pizerria and it was costly, but lovely.

We had a day at he Burswood hotel, swimming in their pools and relaxing in the jacuzzi, we loved it there. We wanted to do the boat trip up the swan river and Rotnest ialand and the whale trip but we couldn't do everything. We were there a month in january the hottest month and we were out and about every day and the only time we felt too hot was when we were up at kings park and it was 42 degrees.

The kids were in the pool every day and the last week we stayed at Scarborough beach and we went in the sea everyday and the surf smashed us. Theres plenty to do in Perth if you like the sea, the sun, the beaches and sitting out having barbies at the many outdoor barbecues overlooking the sea was incredible to us, it beats sitting in doors for 9 months of the year back home any day.

We did other stuff as well, mostly good weather orientated, golf twice, walks, a meal out at a resteraunt at Rockingham, the kids played on the climbing frames, there all over, if you are of a positive mindset and love the warm weather Perth is a great place for outdoor activities and the city is a great place to visit.

Obviously depends a lot on your likes/dislikes, budget, distance you are prepared to travel.

We haven't been here long so we aren't experts, but here are some suggetions...

Kings Park. Wonderful, free, between Perth and the sea. They also have outdoor cinema there regularly

Cottesloe beach for a swim and a drink.

See the kangaroos on Heirisson Island, Free (center of Perth). While you are there you can hire bikes in the park or kayaks.

Rottnest island by boat. Or Penguin Island slightly further south

Zoo

Dolphins further south at Bunbury

Freemantle Prison

Visit Freemantle and it's markets

Cahunu Wildlife Park or Yanchep Park if you want to see koalas (Cahunu if you want to hold one)

Aquarium at Hillarys Boat harbour.

Snorkelling/diving/fishing from lots of places on the coast

Swan river valley a little bit NE of Perth. Lots to do. Good for foodies, lots of wineries, craft shops, chocolate factory, steam train, wildlife park

Camel rides through the bush (further out NE from Perth)

Watch an Aussie rules match

Visit Mandurah and go on a boat trip

boat trip up the Swan from centre of Perth

Surfing

Drink a lot of Aussie wine

Well we love hot sunny weather and going to the beach, free of charge, its what gives us a buzz and Perth is brilliant for that.

We loved it at Cottesloe beach, swimming in the beautiful warm azure sea and sitting out on the grass eating fish and chips in the hot sunshine. We also did the city tram ride and went up to kings park and the views over the city and the swan river were incredible. We went to penguin island and took a picnic, all free, we walked across the sand bank and there were penguins swimming about. More to follow.

We went to the zoo which was a great day out the kids were feeding the Roos and they were really excited. We also went to a wildlife park and again they fed the animals, again they loved it. We had a day out at Manduragh on a boat watching the dolphins and then we had a swim in the sea where the man made beach is, it was really warm and so clear, incredible and then we had fish and chips again, they were gorgeous.

sounds lovely..........you should come back ,brinng your clubs ,........just a heads up about walking the sand bank ,its ok to walk it to the island but dont walk back, my very good indian friend drowned doing that a yr last xmas and left a wife and two very young kids ..........it pays to be sensible ....

Guest The Ropey HOFF
sounds lovely..........you should come back ,brinng your clubs ,........just a heads up about walking the sand bank ,its ok to walk it to the island but dont walk back, my very good indian friend drowned doing that a yr last xmas and left a wife and two very young kids ..........it pays to be sensible ....

We did struggle on the way back, Ali said theres signs up, but we never saw them, but we were there in 2006, so they might not have been there then, sad about your mate.

We did struggle on the way back, Ali said theres signs up, but we never saw them, but we were there in 2006, so they might not have been there then, sad about your mate.

me too as they use to make us some mean curries ........seriously though , we worked together and become good friends ,i actually thought he had fell out with me as i went to his temple without him ,little did i know he and his indian mate drowned saving there wives lives and was eventually flown back to India to be burried ...

in answer to the op, Perth zoo should be good as the animals will be out and about by then as it will be cooler ...........take a ride to the hills and enjoy the veiws ...

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Whats it like where you live Nick (tonyman) don't want to confuse folk, is there a plenty going on near by, is there a sense of community, people friendly etc, you seem to love Perth, tell us why buddy.

Whats it like where you live Nick (tonyman) don't want to confuse folk, is there a plenty going on near by, is there a sense of community, people friendly etc, you seem to love Perth, tell us why buddy.

Listen Hoff, how much time do you think i have on my hands ? dont you think i have better things to do than playing on poms all day when i have a pile of ironing to do....???? and for your information its hard getting about in this wheel chair these days especially when we go for a walk on the beach , poor mrs tonyman get so worn out pushing me in the sand but its worth it as the we have such fantastic sun sets ........these are a must see sazgeering ,the OT

Wow!!! Loads of info - thanks guys!

Sorry to hear about your friend tonyman - what sand bank was that?

Do you know if there are a lot of dolphins/whales around in july time? Would love to see some!

Do lots of the zoos/wildlife parks get the animals out to handle? I'd want to do the typically tourist thing and hold a koala!!! :-)

Certainly dolphins as they stay all year round in some areas. Some areas have a much higher chance of seeing them than others. If you go to Penguin Island you can go on a boat trip round the island and the dolphins often come near the boats. (And of course you can see the tiny penguins). The sand bank links Penguin Island to the mainland. You can get a boat to and from the island fairly cheaply. However, lots of people walk along a sand bank instead, it's a short walk and is usually uneventful. However, there are warning signs not to as the undercurrents can be very strong at certain times according to the tide.

sandbank.jpg

Bunbury has a dolphin visitor centre and lots live in the bay. Mandurah also has dolphins and they often follow the boat trips (according to the website - I haven't been yet). I think whales are more October/November time. At Cahunu wildlife park you can hold a koala. You can also hand feed various sorts of tame wallabies and kangaroos. I'm not sure about Perth zoo or Caversham but it will say on their websites. The Maze also have koalas, and they do 'breakfast with the koalas' most Sundays.

I hope you really enjoy your reccie trip. We hardly saw anything during ours so we are determined to make the most of it now that we are here. We try to arrange time at weekends for the things we would do if we were on holiday, and not spend all the time doing housework or boring paperwork.

sandbank.jpg

Archived