13 and worried

rachall

Hi

This is a plea to all the teenagers that have made the move down under with their parents. I have 3 children, 17, 13 and 8, the eldest and the youngest are very happy to move to Sydney in the next few months, however my daughter, 13, is really worried about leaving her friends behind and not making any new ones in Australia. If anyone in a similar position has experianced this and could offer her any advice to allay her fears I would be really grateful as there is no way on the earth I would want her to be unhappy. I would dearly love for her to embrace the experiance and see it has the opportunity of a life time, but I can appreciate that at 13 your friends mean the world to you (as they do at any age).

Many thanks in advance

A Worried Mum

Hi,

My daughter was 11 when we moved, initially when we started talking about it she was very distraught, but we kept her informed all the way and as time progressed she came round to the idea. The thing is our chldren have the same worries as we do, but often find it harder to talk about them. There is a thread in the younger section were a couple of the younger ones have posted about their experiences.

We knew which area we were moving to and which school she would enrol in. The principle was great and set her up with a pen pal, who she used to chat with on msn, and she introduced her to other class members, so when she arrived she had an idea of what school would be like but also felt as if she already knew some people, who she did meet up with before her first day. This was probably the thing that helped her most.

I have to say that we've been here 5 years now and both my children are still in touch with all their friends back in the UK - so whilst they don't see each other, they still have a connection and aren't 'lost' forever.

• 1 month later...

Hi, im a 14 year old girl who lives in england, moving in 2 years time! my parents are divorced and im moving with my mum. Obviusly it will be hard as i am leaving my dad behind, and i will miss my friends so much! but ofcourse we will keep in contact! Most people will be jealous of anyone moving to australia! Its a once in a life time oppotunity and you have got to try it! I hope you are ok! laura :)

• 4 weeks later...

hey im jess jockeylads daughter, im 13 as well and we are moving to The Sunshine Coast. I think i have some things to say that will help you and your daughter. Well i had a friend in year 10, she's 15 years old, and she moved to Oz and i have been talking to her and she says she loves it out there. There is a lot more to do after school and in your own time (weekends and holidays) , more than in England. She also said that she made friends quickly ,and the Australians are very welcoming. I understand her being nervous ,i am too, but everyone on this forum says that it is a better life over there. Also over in Oz there is a lot more job choices, and more college and university choices than here, so education is a better over in Oz. School is also a great place to make new friends, your daughter will be assigned a buddy who will show you all the ropes and rules of your new school. Trust me guys you will love it, everyone says that they love it, especially the kids. Hope this can help you and your daughter ... Jess

• 2 months later...
Guest SkyePom

Hi Rachell

Just read your post. We are going out to Sydney in Jan 2013 with our two sons, aged 11 and 13. My 13yo is really not happy at the idea! Am trying to persuade him to go onto this forum to get contacts, but he's having none of it at the moment. We've been talking about this for months, but it has now become reality, so it's an anxious time for us all. We are only planning to be there for 2-4 years, as my husband has accepted a job offer. Like your daughter, it's the idea of leaving friends that my son hates, plus starting a new school, not knowing anyone etc. When do you move? How are you getting on with areas to live in, schools etc?

hi Skyepom

All being well we should be in Sydney within the next couple of months, I was hoping before they went back after school hols but that doesn't look likely now. I too have a job offer (I'm on a 457) as so I am limited to the south west of sydney as that's where work will be based. We have found schools we like for our 2, just need to set about applying. My now 14 yr old is still no more happy about this even though she knows it will happen soon, but I keep reinforcing Skype and Facebook as means of staying in touch and the fact that she will make new friends as we all must - its still a battle though.

Where abouts in Sydney are you heading for?

Guest SkyePom

Hi Rachell

We're not certain yet where in the city the job is based - possibly in the CBD or fairly central. The advice I've been given, is to sort rental out once we've arrived, so expecting a busy few weeks of viewing homes and visiting schools. We 're taking our dog with us too, so am assuming this will make renting or choosing an area to live, slightly more complicated! My husband is due to go out to Adelaide in September initially, before we all head for Sydney as a family. I imagine that the boys will may be a little less frightened when they hear what their Dad reports back from his trip and they see photos etc. - at least I hope!! At least you can tell your daughter that she is not alone :) Hope everything works out well. Let me know your ups and downs!

I can relate to this we are off to Melbourne at the end of the year, Our 14/15 year old wouldnt even discuss going, he's been adamant hes not going! So we decided to stop talking about it because it was having such a negative impact on him. Now hes very quiet when we mention things like "When we in oz!" I'm hoping he's realising he has no choice and coming round to the idea! It's very difficult and worrying but I firmly believe he will benefit from the move but I know he's going to give us a rough time of it!! Our 10 year old is more positive about the move but its reassuring to hear we are not the only ones experiencing this!

Hi midwife99

I am wondering if it's a mid teenage thing as my 17 yr son can't wait, nor my 8 yr old, but 14 yr daughter dearest is seriously stressing over it. I feel deep down that we are doing the right thing as I'm a firm believer that life can't be taught in a text book and whether we stay permanently or come back at the end of my 4 yrs its a wonderful life experience. Fortunately my eldest has a weekend job and he has spoken to people much older than him who have said that he doesn't appreciate at this age how lucky he is to have this opportunity, he appears to have taken this on board and his now planning his future over there.

Hope to be off soon so will keep you all posted. Good luck to you all :)

Archived