Is an unpaid traffic fine a problem for visa application?

nada

Hi everyone,

in 2010 I have been studying in Australia with a couple of friends.

One of them got caught riding a pushbike without wearing a helmet. She had no ID with her, so she gave the police officer MY name, address (we were living at the same place) and date of birth. :err:

I didn't know until now, because she thought it was no big deal and didn't bother to tell me. Also I left Australia a week after it happened and I received no mail from the police.

My friend told me, that she/I had to pay a 100$ fine and that she didn't pay it.

Now I'm really worried that I might get into trouble when I try to apply for another long-term visa:sad:

I've no idea if this could affect my visa application, since they have not had my ID.

Is there a way to find out if they have something against me in their records?

Even if it wasn't me riding the bike I would pay the fine, just to make sure I don't have problems with my visa.

I'm really worried and angry at the same time. Migrating to Australia is something I've been looking forward too for a long time and it would be so annoying if something so stupid would wreck it all :swoon:

Has anyone be in a similar situation? I would really appreciate any help:yes:

Hi everyone,

in 2010 I have been studying in Australia with a couple of friends.

One of them got caught riding a pushbike without wearing a helmet. She had no ID with her, so she gave the police officer MY name, address (we were living at the same place) and date of birth. :err:

I didn't know until now, because she thought it was no big deal and didn't bother to tell me. Also I left Australia a week after it happened and I received no mail from the police.

My friend told me, that she/I had to pay a 100$ fine and that she didn't pay it.

Now I'm really worried that I might get into trouble when I try to apply for another long-term visa:sad:

I've no idea if this could affect my visa application, since they have not had my ID.

Is there a way to find out if they have something against me in their records?

Even if it wasn't me riding the bike I would pay the fine, just to make sure I don't have problems with my visa.

I'm really worried and angry at the same time. Migrating to Australia is something I've been looking forward too for a long time and it would be so annoying if something so stupid would wreck it all :swoon:

Has anyone be in a similar situation? I would really appreciate any help:yes:

Tell the DIAC the full truth of the matter. Attempting to conceal the crime of giving false information to police is a serious matter.

Tell the DIAC the full truth of the matter. Attempting to conceal the crime of giving false information to police is a serious matter.

Why cause problems for yourself by reporting a so called "crime" to the DIAC, it may not have even happened. If you are going to do anything contact WA police and find out whether there actually was a fine in the first place, and if there was a fine then explain the situation and pay it. Problem sorted!

• 3 months later...

Hi Nada

I have the exact same dilemma. A mate got a parking fine back in '09 with my car and just told me recently, so the fine was unpaid when we left Australia and I'm starting with visa application for skilled migrant now.

I'm not really keen to inquire about it to Aussie police or so cause I fear the fine might have multiplied a lot or maybe they scrapped the fine, who knows.

Don't know if immigration Australia will have this info and it will affect my application for the visa, hope not?! Have you gotten any more clarity on this issue? Please advice if anyone knows.

Archived