Wages for Welders

Guest pipey

Guest pipey

Hey there, my wife and I were very interested in Tasmania, and wondering what the wages are like for Boilermakers and Welders down there...

Already looked on seek but no wages posted, so was just wondering if it is possible for tradies to do ok down there?

Cheers!

Have you had a look on Seek.com.au or careerone.com.au??

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quick&Keywords=welder&nation=3000

This might give you some idea as to where the jobs are for your profession.

There isn't a great deal of manufacturing here in Tassie, and I'm saying that as a Mechanical Engineer. I only ended up here by a lucky accident. I fully expect that I'll have to go to another state when I decide to move on from my current job.

Perhaps: http://www.incat.com.au/domino/incat/incatweb.nsf/v-title/Opportunities@Incat?OpenDocument

Guest pipey

I said in my first post, I looked on seek already, no wages posted in the adverts.

Was trying to hear from some tradesmen who are actually working there.

Cheers!

hahah im guilty of not reading too!

Just caught the link you posted for INCAT cheers!!!

It is beautiful. Have you visited before?

My personal impression is that UK migrants have fewer problems settling here as it is the most "British" of the Australian states - probably a lot to do with the climate.

I'm also wondering if "pipey" has anything to do with the surname Pipe?

Vivien

http://www.indeed.com.au/jobs?q=welder&rbt=Tradesperson&rbc=Australian+Antarctic+Division&jtid=bd639be57fe2d2c6&jcid=634a64937ed89159&grp=tcl

this may help a little ,the salary in Taz will be nothing like Perth ect as there is such a high demand here....this site leads to the job description and salary pa in Kingston it may give you a better idea pal and my guess is that pipey will be for pipe fitter /pipe welder ...? unless your well into Dads Army......

this may help a little ,the salary in Taz will be nothing like Perth ect as there is such a high demand here....this site leads to the job description and salary pa in Kingston it may give you a better idea pal and my guess is that pipey will be for pipe fitter /pipe welder ...? unless your well into Dads Army......

I'm not sure how representative that is of normal welder wages in Tassie, as these vacancies are for those being trained to go to Antarctica.

I thought pipey is probably related to his trade...but if to his surname, we might be related. :cool: Stranger things have happened. About ten years ago my husband sold a motorbike on eBay from here in Tassie. The eventual buyer (in the UK) turned out to be a fifth (?) cousin of mine...we shared the same great great great great grandparents! I wouldn't have known except I had been researching the family history.

I'm not sure how representative that is of normal welder wages in Tassie, as these vacancies are for those being trained to go to Antarctica.

I thought pipey is probably related to his trade...but if to his surname, we might be related. :cool: Stranger things have happened. About ten years ago my husband sold a motorbike on eBay from here in Tassie. The eventual buyer (in the UK) turned out to be a fifth (?) cousin of mine...we shared the same great great great great grandparents! I wouldn't have known except I had been researching the family history.

sorry skani, i didnt know you were a Pipe too..........tbh skani i was just trying to help ,there was a few leads on the sites i looked at and he probs has more time than i to study wages in Oz ect.

sorry skani, i didnt know you were a Pipe too..........tbh skani i was just trying to help ,there was a few leads on the sites i looked at and he probs has more time than i to study wages in Oz ect.

I'm not a Pipe...but have some a few generations back. No need to apologise - I think the info you gave was useful. But I don't know if the Antarctic blokes get wages comparable to their fellow tradies while they are based here because they are also being trained in polar survival, extreme weather conditions affecting their trade etc. Obviously they get special loadings when they go south.

I've been looking but finding it surprisingly difficult to find actual figures online. I'm a bit miffed - I normally have success! Me reputation's bein' ruined! :mad:

Guest pipey

Hey thanks for all the feedback!

pipefitter here!

ya i am living in oz now, so know the salaries in other states pretty well, just cant find any info online about rates in tassie.

even the rates you find for my trade out in WA online for example dont really show the real rates with penatleis and overtime you can make far far more than the governmnet says we do!

I really was hoping to talk to some fellas out there on the ground who might know, but it sounds like there arent any on here, too bad.

let me know if you find anything else folks, i appreciate the help!

Hi pipey - we're looking to move to perth - you say you know the wages in the other states quite well - do you know an average wage for a welder in Perth?

My Hubbie has been welding for 5 years, doing mig/tig/stick/aluminium/stainless steel/steel/core wire - just wondering what his potential would be out in the Perth area.

Any insights would be great :-)

Guest pipey

Hi sazgeering,

In town, eg mostly south of the river (kwinana strip-Henderson) he shouldnt be looking for less than 34 an hour plus penalties, this is minimum. it works out to around 2000 a week after taxes. But if your husband is willing to do fifo(fly in fly out) work , the sky is the limit really, welders on the big constuction jobs up north are making some serious money... but working away around 4 weeks at a time usually

Thanks for that info Pipey - thats really handy to know - not sure if he would like to do FIFO, as he doesn't really like the sound of being away from home for that long - are there short term contracts for that type of job? Would he have to be skilled in a specific area?

It'd be great if we could earn some good money when we first move out there, although 2000 a week for a normal job sounds a fair wage!

Guest pipey

2000 a week after tax is a very good wage in town indeed.

the perth forum has a lot more info in it, check it out.

still eager to hear from any tradesmen out in tassie if you exist!

Archived