Internet Speeds in Aus / Sydney

daveg1980

Hey,

I have done a bit of research into internet & tv packages in aus. I am happy with the options, apart from the internet capping! What speeds do you guys get out there? From what I have read it could be up to 8mb, big difference from the 50-100mb in the UK.

Not the be all and end all, as hopefully I will be less bothered about internet, downloading etc as i am in the UK confined to my flat as the rain and cold sets in!

Any info on this would be great? I would imagine they are looking to improve the internet anyway across there?

Many thanks,

Dave

Haha this is true Greggers, but what will i do when it rains!

Cheers Aaron, are you adsl or cable. I have had a look at bigpond etc, and will have to go for a heavy usage setup, combined with TV and phone. I do like my newsgroups ;)

My mate was reckoning the internet was so bad he was struggling to stream youtube! I was like no way, that can't be possible!

Cheers Aaron, are you adsl or cable. I have had a look at bigpond etc, and will have to go for a heavy usage setup, combined with TV and phone. I do like my newsgroups ;)

My mate was reckoning the internet was so bad he was struggling to stream youtube! I was like no way, that can't be possible!

Cable. I just ran a speed test and got 19.07mbs. I run youtube in as high a resolution available and stream pretty much skip free. Also checked our monthly data info. We use 20% of the 500gb. I don't even understand how that little is possible. We have 5 devices connected and are going massive downloads and video streaming. You'll be just fine.

Honestly, the internet was a huge concern for us coming here because we work and play online. The service here is faster and more reliable than in Austin, TX.... which is the silicon valley of the southwest USA.

Also on Optus cable in Sydney

I just ran a speed test and got 18.36Mbps with a ping of 12ms, which is plenty fast enough. The upload speed is rubbish though, if you're a copyright thief torrenter

:wink:

We have a cap of 120Gb a month, didn't need any more. We don't use half of it. General internet use and streaming TV shows robbed from iPlayer covers most of it

Nothing to worry about - AFAIK speeds like 50Mbps are actually very rare in the UK. It's that old chestnut of "up to...." that catches people out

Your mate might have been unlucky and stuck in some suburb on a RIM on some other issue.

Some people are quick to extrapolate their personal circumstances to a whole country before they really know what's what which can lead to incorrect conclusions sometimes. You definitely could have a crappy connection in some new build areas/regional australia etc.

This may be a silly question but can you watch uk tv via internet in Australia, like 4od and iplayer.... ?

iPlayer blocks non UK connections so you need to use a VPN service to pretend you are in the UK...most have a small monthly/annual fee.

It is amazing how much we all rely on the internet these days. I understand Dave, but even on a rainy day you could go for a long run, only joking.

or even worse chat to the wife!!!

Yeah i am planning to do a bulk of online shopping to get setup in aus when i get there. Yeah good old torrents, newsgroups are the way to go.

I have 50mb and the most I have seen it is around the 40mb mark, but depends on time of day etc, really up and down!

Cheers for that, as long as its more than 10mb i should be ok, anything I would want I could easily wait for!

Archived