8 months and still counting :/

Guest kandyfly

Guest kandyfly

hi alll , i have not been on this forum for a very very long time now as i had filled out paid for and submitted my defacto visa (820) just over 8 months ago now ( about 8 months and 1 week to me exact)

but im still waiting :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i was told it would be 6-8 months and we applied onshore but should it be any longer ?

ive had no contact what so ever, i keep checking my status online and it says im on a bridging still anyone currently waiting and for how long ?

i lodged my about the 28th of June 2011

and is there a number i can ring to find out whats happening ?

unfortunately my partner misplaced my receipt letter they gave us( we handed it in in person )

so right now i cant get my medicare card ( thanks ed lol)

but im hoping i dont immediately need that to find out the progress........

ANY help or input would be much appreciated

See this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/80286-onshore-partner-visa-application-time-frame.html

I wouldn't worry too much, most people who applied last year were told 6-9 months.

You can also ring the general helpline, but all they'll be able to tell you is that you haven't got it yet (no sh*t sherlock!).

Re the medicare card. I would go into the medicare office with your passport and explain the situation. They might be able to look it up and give you the blue medicare card anyway. Otherwise ring the DIAC helpline and ask if they can send out another copy of the letter to you.

I lodged my partner visa onshore about a month later than you and am still waiting to hear. I applied for a permanent visa (rather than temporary) as I have been married to my Aussie hubby for 16 years and my 3 kids are dual nationals too. I was quoted 6 - 9 months for processing. I too have a bridging visa to cover me once my 457 runs out on 31 March. I work in a law firm and my colleague who does immigration law said that my visa will probably come through by June as DIAC has to report on how it has performed against visa allocation quotas at the end of the financial year (ie 1 July). Apparently, the dept goes into a flurry of activity to meet the quotas....

As far as your medicare card is concerned, if you are British you should be able to get a Visitor Medicare Card under the reciprocal health care scheme. These cards are issued for a year at a time so you have to go to the Centrelink office each year to renew it.

Hope it helps to hear that you are not alone in the waiting game!

I lodged my partner visa onshore about a month later than you and am still waiting to hear. I applied for a permanent visa (rather than temporary) as I have been married to my Aussie hubby for 16 years and my 3 kids are dual nationals too. I was quoted 6 - 9 months for processing. I too have a bridging visa to cover me once my 457 runs out on 31 March. I work in a law firm and my colleague who does immigration law said that my visa will probably come through by June as DIAC has to report on how it has performed against visa allocation quotas at the end of the financial year (ie 1 July). Apparently, the dept goes into a flurry of activity to meet the quotas....

As far as your medicare card is concerned, if you are British you should be able to get a Visitor Medicare Card under the reciprocal health care scheme. These cards are issued for a year at a time so you have to go to the Centrelink office each year to renew it.

Hope it helps to hear that you are not alone in the waiting game!

The reciprocal medicare card (yellow) doesn't have the same entitlements as the interim one (blue). It's definitely worth trying to get the interim one if you can, as it has pretty much the same rights as the full one (green), just needs renewing each year whereas the green ones last much longer.

Guest kandyfly

thank you for your replies :)

as for the health care card i had one on my previous visa and from my knowledge i have to renew it each diff visa i get so reapply for the bridging and i think do it again when i get my partner visa?!?!

its kinda annoying to get a new one if im gonna have to change it again soon but i have a doctors bill i should pay and claim back lol ...

im just kinda over this waiting game ....id feel more secure and settled and know aht to do once i get it , i want to look into study options and an ABN but im in limbo until then i believe

awwwww the headache lol

Guest kandyfly

oh and Loopylu

how long do u have have to betogether before u can apply for permanent ??? ? .... do i still have to wait the 2 years before it switches to permanent ? by the time this comes through we would have been together for close to 4 years ?

re temp vs permanent, it basically depends how long you'd been together when you applied. If there's evidence that it's been three years or longer (two if there's kids), then they'll grant the PR, any less than that and they'll grant the temp one and reassess for PR two years after the original application date.

I think if you only applied for the temporary partner visa at the outset then that is all you will get and you'll have to wait 2 years to get the permanent visa. What I had to do was submit a cover letter with my initial visa application requesting that I be given a permanent visa straight up as the longevity of my marriage and the fact that we had three kids was proof that I didn't need to sit out another two years on a temporary visa to prove our commitment to each other. I followed the guidance given on the DIAC website on this issue. What I did find on the site that may help you is:

[h=2]Will the time taken to process my visa application affect the date on which I become eligible for permanent residence?[/h]No. The date on which a client becomes eligible for permanent residence is based on when their application was lodged, not when their visa was granted. Your eligibility to be assessed for the permanent partner visa is not affected by the time that it takes to process the temporary stage of your application.

Example: If you lodged your application in November 2009 you would become eligible for a Partner (permanent) visa (if requirements are met) in November 2011, two years from the date that you initially lodged your application with the department, regardless of when in that two year period you were granted the temporary partner visa.

If your temporary partner visa is granted more than two years after your initial application, you will be eligible to have your permanent partner visa assessed immediately after the temporary visa is granted.

I got my 820 visa after nearly 11 months, theyre now quoting 9-12 months for an onshore partner visa. I lost my receipt letter as well, but applied for a reciprocal card being a UK citizen, they ended up sending me three interim medicare cards instead of one reciprocal one - not really sure what happened there... I don't know what the blue card makes you eligible for that a reciprocal one doesn't - my understanding was they're pretty much the same?

reciprocal doesn't entitle you to any elective procedures. interim entitles you to the same as the full green card. Subtle difference, but can come back to bite you when you least expect it... Also with the interim you can get normal health insurance rather than the overseas one.

Archived