australian flag

Splash77

Guest Sir Les Patterson
if the australian flag has 6 stars..why does the cricket shirt only have 5? also 5 stars on the back of cars etc...just wondering why this is.:confused:

Hmmm.......last time I looked the "Australian cricket shirt" was white with a the Australian Coat of Arms and the major sponsors' badge (Vodafone) on the front and the other sponsor (Asics) on the sleeve.

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Think they mean the ODI or 20/20 shirt....[ATTACH=CONFIG]12789[/ATTACH]

pyjama stuff.....not the real thing........it's now green by the way.

pyjama stuff.....not the real thing........it's now green by the way.

why is it not the real thing...it has five stars on.:wacko:it dunt matter what they represent...it still has 6 star's.

so what is the answer to my origanal question ????

why is it not the real thing...it has five stars on.:wacko:it dunt matter what they represent...it still has 6 star's.

so what is the answer to my origanal question ????

It's just got the Southern Cross on it, which is part of the Aussie flag (as per above)

The SC is on the Kiwi flag as well of course, but the cricket team don't need the Federation star to distinguish them from Kiwis because

a) They are in green and gold, and

b) They can actually play

HTH

Guest Guest31881

Ok, I have been looking for what seems an eternity to try and find an answer, this is the best I can come up with.

Australian flag has 5 stars plus one large star to represent the commonwealth ( 6 in total). The New Zealand flag only has 4 stars. When put on sporting kit the 5 stars on the right of the flag are used to show its Australia and the commonwealth star is not used because it is on the left side under the Union flag. So in effect only the right hand side of the flag is used to identify Australia in sporting events.... That's just in case you miss the Green and Gold

Ok, I have been looking for what seems an eternity to try and find an answer, this is the best I can come up with.

Australian flag has 5 stars plus one large star to represent the commonwealth ( 6 in total). The New Zealand flag only has 4 stars. When put on sporting kit the 5 stars on the right of the flag are used to show its Australia and the commonwealth star is not used because it is on the left side under the Union flag. So in effect only the right hand side of the flag is used to identify Australia in sporting events.... That's just in case you miss the Green and Gold

cheers...i just thought the aussies coulden't count...thanks for clearing that up.:laugh:

Because the stars are not meant to represent the Australian flag. They are representing the southern cross which is often used in Australian imagery...eg from the rebellion for democracy at eureka. To an Australian the southern cross can loosely represent Australianess and democracy and breaking away from traditional authority from the old countries.

eureka.gif

eureka.gif

Archived