very basic tax/superannuation question

sevenseas

Hi, its been a while since I was in Oz so I have completely forgotten how this works - and I have not been able to find an answer quickly via google...

Is the 9% compulsory superannuation taken from gross salary or from salary after tax?

TIA.

It is an additional cost paid by the employer. So, if you have a gross salary of $50k, your employer will make superannuation contributions to your preferred super fund of $4,500.

Note that this might be presented to you as a salary package including superannuation of $54,500.

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused on this, hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me!

I have a job offer and it states that it is a condition of my employment to join the Superannuation scheme, which is fine but I don't really understand how it all works. It says that my employer pays superannuation contributions of 9% of my relevant earnings to the scheme. Does this mean that each month 9% of my gross salary will be diverted into the superannuation scheme, or does it mean that the employer will contribute the equivalent of 9% of my salary each month into the scheme?

My salary is just listed as the gross amount with no mention of 'including' or 'plus' superannuation, so I'm a little confused. I think it says that the employee can make voluntary contributions in addition to the 9%. I was going to ask them but thought maybe it was a standard thing and someone here might know (hence saving me looking clueless with my future employers!)

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, never been very good at understanding pension scheme at the best of times! :confused:

I'm a bit confused on this, hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me!

I have a job offer and it states that it is a condition of my employment to join the Superannuation scheme, which is fine but I don't really understand how it all works. It says that my employer pays superannuation contributions of 9% of my relevant earnings to the scheme. Does this mean that each month 9% of my gross salary will be diverted into the superannuation scheme, or does it mean that the employer will contribute the equivalent of 9% of my salary each month into the scheme?

My salary is just listed as the gross amount with no mention of 'including' or 'plus' superannuation, so I'm a little confused. I think it says that the employee can make voluntary contributions in addition to the 9%. I was going to ask them but thought maybe it was a standard thing and someone here might know (hence saving me looking clueless with my future employers!)

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, never been very good at understanding pension scheme at the best of times! :confused:

I would ask them to clarify if your salary stated is a package, in which case it would include the 9% super contribution. I believe you can join any super scheme you choose.

Guest JK2510

Each industry has its own super company you can join if you wish...I'm with hesta(nursing/care) OH is with cbus..

Archived