300 watt LCD T.V. from Ireland

carolinemc

It's a bit more complicated.

Electrically, the set will plug in and work fine. However, TV transmissions in Australia (both analogue and digital) use a different standard than in the UK/Ireland.

Many (but not all) sets sold now are made so they can work in multiple countries and on multiple systems. Some just sense what they're receiving and adjust; others you will need to enter a set up menu and change. The "Germany" settings in analogue will work here--with digital though (and, by the end of 2013 there won't be analogue anywhere in Australia) will either work automatically or not at all.

One other complication is that Australia still has a mix of VHF and UHF transmitters where the UK (I don't know about Ireland) is all UHF. Again, some sets can be told to receive both, others can't.

However, any set will work with the addition of a set top box--either one to receive Freeview digital or a subscription to Foxtel/Austar. For normal terrestrial TV, a set top box isn't quite as convenient as having it all built in--but it works.

Therefore, my usual advice is that, if your set is relatively new and you can ship it without additional costs, bring it and try it. However, if it's getting on in years and/or you'll pay extra to ship it, just sell and buy down here.

Transformer boxes? That seems strange as the mains voltage and frequency is the same in Australia as in Ireland.

Or, do you mean digital TV set top boxes? If you, you certainly paid top dollar. I've seen them as cheap as $30 each though it can be worth spending a bit more for better quality.