The move down under so far ...

sunshine please

Hi everyone

I thought I would bore you all (whilst it's raining here) with our journey so far...

Last Tuesday the packers carted off all our belongings. Wednesday the dogs went into kennels to stay for a while until they join us. We made the trip to Dublin on Thursday and stayed in a hotel at the airport and flew out on Friday at 825am. We flew with Eithad and the staff at this side were lovely, no problem or charge with excess baggage and as their were 100 empty seats on the flight we got to spread out. Very good for stretching the legs :-) We flew to Abi Dhabi and our flight was delayed by one hour as a flight had been cancelled. The flight was crammed, the stewards were the most miserable bunch I have ever met in my life. Not one smiled the whole 14 hours to Oz!!! Everyone was moaning about their attitudes. We arrived in Sydney with 50 minutes to clear immigration, collect our bags, get to the other terminal and check in for our flight to Canberra. The Eithad rep met everyone at the plane and told everyone with connecting flights to leave our luggage and they would forward on the next day if not we would miss our connections. We spoke to someone in Customs and they moved us to the top of the line and it took 5 mins to get through. One of the team leaders ran us through customs and stuck us in a taxi for the other terminal. We couldn't thank them enough...note to self it's not always like it is on Nothing to Declare!! Unfortunately it was the wrong terminal so we had to run through the car pack dragging our hand luggage and 8 year old. We made it with seconds to spare and arrived in Canberra airport 20 mins early :-)

Our temporary home is well situated in Aranda though the house is a little Arty Farty but livable so shouldn't complain. The sun shone all day Saturday and it was lovely. We spent the day doing some food shopping and looking around. The Belconnen shopping mall caters for almost every requirement. We went to a BBQ Saturday night and started yawning by 10pm!! We got home and were sound asleep for 11!! Sunday we visited one of the museums and the tower.

This week has so far been spent trying to organise bank accounts and cars. It is pouring down and meant to do so for the rest of the week. Think we brought the rain from Ireland. We have had 2 spider encounters, one was easy ( only 1.5 inches big) the other was a 3 inch black hairy dude (still sure I could see his tattoos). The big one wasn't too amused by our attempts to get him outside!!! Must get one of those spider catchers you could get back home so I can tip them out...far far far away from the house!!! Most people here say just squish them....think I would puke at the noise and splatter. Anyway we eventually got him on his way mind you we cheated as my uncles ozzy wife was here and she was well able to deal with him. I was very grateful that even she cringed a bit when she saw the size of him.

I am eaten alive by something....not sure if it's mozzies or not.....no-one else in the family has been bitten and I was well covered in spray. I forgot skin so smooth repellent!!. I don't usually get picked on by biting insects...I can only assume my blood has improved with age.

Anyway that's the first few days of our journey. Hope I don't put anyone off with the spider talk!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The bites will be the pesky sand flies, you can hardly see them, we got bit to death, you can buy the coils and sprays cheap, I know it's a pain, but they do say they like fresh meat, newbies like you and after awhile they don't bite as much, that's what we are hoping anyway. Best of luck.

As FF said, after so many years of drought the rain is most welcome to most Canberrans - good to see that the dams are right up and my DH tells me the garage rainwater tank is full to overflowing (that's a first for Feb!)

Bites - mozzies or bedbugs or fleas? What do the bites look like? Do they have a red spot in the centre of each bite? Are there one or two puncture holes? Are you sure they are bites?

welcome to Canberra! we've been here 2 weeks now.. do drop me a message if you want to ask anything. got ourselves a nice little house in Isaacs that we're in the process of moving into, bought a car, just waiting on the hubs getting a job now (he's hunting), and we'll be well set. We've seen most of the city in the process, which has been really nice. Just need to do some exploring round the nature parks and tourist places now!

sorry....had a little giggle at this :laugh:...onwards and upwards as they say! p.s. did your luggage turn up?

Hi Mckays.

We phoned, emailed and phoned eithad again and they had no idea what we were talking about!! Got through to the lovely guy in Sydney Baggage and he was staring at our bags as we spoke. He said eithad were useless and that he would put them on the flight to Canberra. He told us to collect them from the airport ourselves as we would be waiting a month for them otherwise. We were very happy to collect them on Saturday afternoon :-)

Everyone seems happy that the dams are almost full though i was watching the news and one of the water companies were moaning they were down 40 million in water usage charges this summer. No doubt the prices will go up next year if we don't get any rain!!

The bites are very itchy lumps with red spot in middle until you scratch them (which I know u aren't meant too....but sooooooooooo good) Got bite cream which takes out the itch. I am the only one that has been eaten. Changed all the beds, sprayed everything and hoovered so hopefully not some house bug!! Not had any for a day so I think the rain is keeping them away. Hubby says maybe I am allergic to OZ :-)

Sunnicat i will PM you my number :-)

Guest pugsleysinoz

Hi

Glad to hear all is going ok it sound like you have had an adventure already lol

Im not too good with spiders but its ok my 3 year old got me a book out of the library to help havent got the courage to open it yet lol

We arrive in about seven weeks all our stuff goes in two weeks eek. Keep us posted with any info!

Take care

Melody

Everyone seems happy that the dams are almost full though i was watching the news and one of the water companies were moaning they were down 40 million in water usage charges this summer. No doubt the prices will go up next year if we don't get any rain!!

The bites are very itchy lumps with red spot in middle until you scratch them (which I know u aren't meant too....but sooooooooooo good) Got bite cream which takes out the itch. I am the only one that has been eaten. Changed all the beds, sprayed everything and hoovered so hopefully not some house bug!! Not had any for a day so I think the rain is keeping them away. Hubby says maybe I am allergic to OZ :-)

Yes do, I'd love to meet up :)

Bites with a red dot in the middle are usually fleas - did your house have pets before you moved in, do you think? Good luck getting rid of them!

Archived