Visiting Oz but to look for work.

Elliott35

Hi,

I'm going to be visiting Oz in a few months, with a view to gaining PR. My question is: If I arrive for a holiday and manage to secure a job (Truck Driver) although its not on the Skills shortage list would I be able to accept it and apply for a visa while in OZ. Either a working visa for a certain amount of time, or could I get permanent Residency. Any information would be great. Thankyou

Don't think truck driver is on any occupation lists for PR visas or Employer sponsorship - not even a 457.

So, unfortunately no, you wouldn't be able to accept any job and nor would any employer be able to sponsor you - even if they wanted to.

Only possibility is if you came on a WHV (must be under 31) you could do any job while you're here. But it's only temporary - 2 years max, you can only work for any one employer for 6 months and it could never lead to PR.

There are too many truck drivers already here..

hey Elliott- you are allowed of course to apply for an ETA- for a holiday- at no point must you indicate you might look for work opportunities while you're over there........ however, once there & after reading up (just out of interest of course) about job vacancies online/in the newspapers etc you find something of interest, you are perfectly entitled to ring a few people & ascertain whether the skills you have might be of future interest to them...... meanwhile the suggestion of a WHV would give you a full year with the option to extend your stay...do lots of research starting with immi.gov.uk ..Good Luck !!!!:daydreaming:

Guest Guest31881

I presume you have a UK truck drivers licence, to drive in Australia you would need to do some retraining, you cannot just swap a UK truck drivers licence for an Australian one. Only car and motorbike licences are available for straight swap

Archived