What happens to children if both parents die?

landv

I was just thinking (and it's awful, but it has to be thought through), what would happen to my daughter if both myself and my OH would die?

No family here, daughter is australian citizen at the moment (but applying for her British passport ASAP), would she be automatically returned to the UK to family? Or would the Aus authorities not allow her back and so would be put into care?

I'm very uncomfortable with the thought of the latter and if that is the case, I'll have to make provisions now.

Does anyone know?

Your family in the UK would need to go through the appropriate channels in Australia to take custody of your daughter, I couldn't see there wouldn't be much of a problem, unless of course they are not 'nice' people. :nah:

My sister has nominated me as guardian to her children should something happen to her and her husband, she had it drawn up with a lawyer when they had their wills drawn up.

Your family in the UK would need to go through the appropriate channels in Australia to take custody of your daughter, I couldn't see there wouldn't be much of a problem

You see, this is what I'm worried about. We don't know for sure that there wouldn't much of a problem and it happens smoothly.

I just can't see neither my parents nor my in-laws having to come out here and fight a custody battle, they would of course, but they're just not very "streetwise" IFYKWIM, they wouldn't have a clue.

You see, this is what I'm worried about. We don't know for sure that there wouldn't much of a problem and it happens smoothly.

I just can't see neither my parents nor my in-laws having to come out here and fight a custody battle, they would of course, but they're just not very "streetwise" IFYKWIM, they wouldn't have a clue.

As long as you have a will and identify who will have guardianship it won't be a problem. It will be even easier is you appoint a sensible person living in Australia as your executor. Provided you put the proper arrangements in place it will be OK.

I'ts something thats bothered me for a while , also who do you choose ? .. if like us , we left the UK as our daughter was a toddler and have family both sides , but closer rellies there. But my daughter is growing up Australian and is now closer to the Relations here. So do we put her on a plane and a total change of lifestyle if we are unfortunate to go before she is of an age . Also saying i would rather do that than any state care :(

We talk about this very subject....my kids father lives in the uk and has nothing to do with them....I don't know what would happen....I think perhaps we should do a will as to where my kids should go...personally my father or my brother would be better than my ex!

Archived