IELTS Test

DonnaC

Hi all

Has anyone previously done the IELTS tests? Can you give me some info, advise and strategy on them please and if it is worth buying the practise materials that are available.

Thanks

Donna

if you're a native english speaker you should be OK but you must be prepared for the format, I think there may be free samples available. I did buy a book practised once and only dropped a single half mark, however I've also read some have found it hard, especially if they have to do the advanced one (nurses etc).

Guest kerry19

hiya,

my oh has the academic test in march and after looking at another thread on here about it im now pannicking on his behalf!! ive just ordered him the revision cd of ielts.

we dont even know if he needs a certain amount of points for our 175 visa so ive just emailed our agency.

good luck with yours!

kerry x

hiya,

my oh has the academic test in march and after looking at another thread on here about it im now pannicking on his behalf!! ive just ordered him the revision cd of ielts.

we dont even know if he needs a certain amount of points for our 175 visa so ive just emailed our agency.

good luck with yours!

kerry x

Hi Kerry

Just seen you are located in Teesside! Where about?

It really isn't that hard if English is your 1st language (most people who take it are non-native speakers and huge respect to them), but you MUST, MUST be ready for the format, otherwise you'll sit down, they'll start a recording playing & by the time you have figured out whats going on you will have failed, no replays.

Other advice is book early, had to travel from London to Plymouth to get the last seat on one, they're every 2 weeks but if you fail you won't know until after the next one is full.

Good luck but don't be scared, my speaking bit started with the question, "do you eat vegetables".

I have been told that if you have a degree a letter from the Uni saying that the course was taught in English, and the fact that I have a UK passport would be enough to prove that we are English Speaking. so wouldnt need to do these tests.

I have been told that if you have a degree a letter from the Uni saying that the course was taught in English, and the fact that I have a UK passport would be enough to prove that we are English Speaking. so wouldnt need to do these tests.

Hi Donna

If you are going for state sponsorship and they have an IELTs requirement you need to do it unfortunately as with if you are trying to get extra points for Visa application which many of us do...(7s = 10 points and 8s = 20 points)

You automatically meet the English capability (band 6) with have a British passport but you dont get any additinal points on your Visa application.

Yeah it would be the state sponsored visa Im going for.

Damn....thought I was going to get away with that one then :)

Best I go and get my passport photos done then and get the application sent off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...i teach English and Maths and i had to do it...grrrr. i tried every option to try and get out of doing it!

oh yes even native English speakers get done by IELTS too :-) i would want to see a native English who gets all 8s on the first sitting :-)

I did :biggrin: (9.0/8.5/9.0/9.0) dropped the half for writing, which TBH was generous (bunched up in block cap pencil, looked a mess and my handwriting is awful), however I did manage to use the work 'paradoxically' in my speaking session. My highest English qual from school is O'level (shows my age).

Guest kerry19
Hi Kerry

Just seen you are located in Teesside! Where about?

I live in linthorpe but hopefully not for much longer lol Where abouts are u?

Xx

Guest kerry19
Sorry meant to ask where in Oz are you planning to go?

To Perth with oh and 3 children. We are at the beginning of the process so we will be hopefully there within two years, fingers crossed! How about you? X

Archived