Here I go.. again.

Woofyhugger

Hey Guys.

Some of you may remember. For those that don't in a nutshell. I was born in the UK but moved to Australia when I was only 3. I have lived in Australia for almost 40 years. My whole family moved here except my brother. I went to the UK 2 years ago to meet my brother "for the first time" so to speak, and to live there permanently. Well, permanently only lasted a month, and I found myself missing my 3 dogs and my ex partner of whom I am very close to, we still live together very happily. Anyway... Through various circumstances I wasn't able to see my brother when I was in the UK.. I know!! How did that happen.. we just couldn't meet up before I left to return to Oz.

So, here I am 2 years later, missing London a lot, wanting to see my brother, and fed up with Australia. Don't get me wrong, I love Australia, it's looked after me for the last 38 years. But I just have this uncontrollable pull to give it another go in the UK. It's hard to explain. I now find myself saving madly to return. I feel like I need to see what my life would have been like if I lived in the UK all those years. I know that sounds odd, but it's how I feel.. but I am worried the same will happen and I will miss my dogs. I can't bring them with me, the expense is more than I can deal with, let alone making sure I have accommodation big enough for 3 very energetic dogs. And I can't take them away from my ex who loves them dearly and would like to go to the UK, but can't.

Is there anything I can do to make myself not miss them as much as I did last time which was a major reason for me returning? Should I just stay in Oz? The same old humdrum, every day. I live in a small country town now in the middle of Victoria, my friends are 4 hours away in Melbourne so I only get to see them once in a blue moon. And I feel like I'm just gathering dust out here. I'm not a fan of Melbourne, so I don't want to move closer to the city.

When I was in the UK, I had the best time, loved London, the vibe, Soho, the buildings and history, the quaint warm and friendly pubs (so different from the Oz ones), I loved the rain, the cold (it never rains where I am), made a load of friends who I keep in contact with regularly, and there's so much to see and do there, not to mention Europe. Oh and believe it or not, I miss Primark LOL!

Anyway, thanks for listening, it's pretty much a rhetoric post.. I think I just needed to put my thoughts down somewhere..

much love,

Woofy aka Matt

Sounds like you don't have a lot of strong ties here....far from friends.....living with the ex. Dogs, well, please don't let this sound harsh, but they shouldn't hold you back (we left ours with a friend). Might be an easy move for you....might not.

Have you thought of taking an extended holiday over there? Like maybe a few months?

Guest Guest31881

Hi Matt, I know you have an RRV this time. :wink:. have you thought about getting your citizenship, just in case in 10 years time you wanted to return.

What ever you decide mate... Good luck and i hope it all works out for you....

Understand fully. Been in Sydney for 16 years now and crave for a change. Sometimes you just feel in a rut. However, will the grass be greener on the other side? It will still need to be mowed. I reckon a few months living in the country of your choice would be the way to go, then you can decide.

Thanks guys.

Aaron, I went over 2 years ago, but missed my dogs and ended up coming home. I need to toughen up.

Ghost, very true indeed. Anywhere becomes the same old, same old given long enough. Though I think it may take a while up there, at least enough to keep me occupied for quite some time haha.

Hey Colin!! Yeah, getting the RRV from London was a bit daunting, thank god I took paperwork with me to the UK that proved long term ties, but it was getting sweaty and nervous in the office there at London House. Still valid for 3 more years, though I will get my citizenship before I leave. I'm not planning on going back till the end of the year, I should have enough saved by then.

Anita, yes, definitely feel trapped and in a rut at times. More so, I know in myself I don't want to live my life in the current situation. I want to see and do new things, and over 30+ years I have well and truly exhausted Australia in the time. :) And I miss my pub in Soho. haha. /waves @ the Duke of Wellington.

I am going to keep saving for the rest of the year, and in December, I will make a decision. At least I can go, and make no definite plans to stay or return, just play it by ear.

It's funny how we can change our minds, even when we are sure we are doing something we want... or don't want... only to do a complete 180 degree turn.. and then turn again. heh.. human nature.

Cheers

Matt

Yep. I was so convinced I was never coming back to Australia, I had rationales for everything. And I did love the UK. On coming back, I was glad to get home. Now again, I want to go back. I think something may feel so right for that particular moment in your life.. and that's not a bad thing.

Guest guest57588

I remember your posts from a couple of years ago Matt and how excited you were at the prospect of leaving for England. It sounds like an itch that needs to be scratched, but at what cost?!.

I'd give you the same advice I'd give someone in the UK dreaming of Oz - go for it!. You only get one shot at life and you're a long time dead. Try and stick it out beyond the holiday period of a few months and do a year. That way, you'll have seen the UK warts and all, seen the seasons change and had a proper look at it, the good, bad and ugly.

I think you'll have a wonderful time that way, and if it turns out to not be for you, then hopefully you and your brother will enjoy some meaningful time together and get to know each other.

All the best mate.

Go for it!!! Life really is too short.

My husband and I lived in Sydney 12 years ago and loved it. We had the chance to be sponsored by our employers at the time, but missed the UK, friends and family. We have now lived in Spain for 7 years and are trying to get back to Oz. We moved to Spain to get away from the "rat race" of London. I kind of know how you are feeling. Australia did something to us - it got under our skin and we have never been able to shake it off. So much so, my husband still uses Aussie slang in his everyday vocab and we have such fond memories of our time in 2000 and when we returned for an extended holiday in 2004. You obviously feel the same for the UK.

You have to do what you need to do to get there. It always makes me laugh when us Brits are trying to get to Oz and the Aussies are trying to get to Britain - wouldn't life be much simpler if there was an exchange programme!!

Basically, what I am trying to say is don't leave it too late. Don't make the same mistake as us and dither about. Make the decision and go for it - if there's a will, there's a way. The UK is very dog friendly and it is much more simpler to take your dogs there.

Good Luck.

If you don't go, it sounds as though that feeling is going to get stronger and stronger until it consumes you. You don't have to plan to go for ever, just plan to go for as long as it feels right.

You will miss the dogs badly. Go on the pets section and look at the number of people struggling to decide what to do with their dog between them leaving and the dog flying out. They are crying out for a foster Dad! They wouldn't be the same as your dogs, but they would be good company. Why not volunteer to help someone out occassionaly as a dog sitter?

It's a hard decision so good luck.

Guest guest30085
Yep. I was so convinced I was never coming back to Australia, I had rationales for everything. And I did love the UK. On coming back, I was glad to get home. Now again, I want to go back. I think something may feel so right for that particular moment in your life.. and that's not a bad thing.

Hey Matt

Sometimes life just doesnt follow the path you thought it would, there is no shame in trying again. Follow your heart. I believe that meeting up with your brother will have a huge part in this. Best of luck to you and I hope you manage to follow your dream, even if you end up doing a U turn again, so what? At least you will have tried.

Good luck

Gill x

Yes, we all just do the best we can for each moment in our lives. Life is short, go back and have fun for a while, see your brother, you may return but at least you will have laid some ghosts to rest.

I'm not sure what you can do to not miss your dogs though. That will be tough. Maybe if you look at it as not a forever thing at least you know you will see them again? All the best with whatever you decide.

Archived