16 year old education choices Queensland

THORPES

Hello

My son will finish his GCSE's and year 11 in the UK this year.

We are moving back to Queensland in August but he doesnt want to go bck to school and complete years 11 & 12.

He said he would prefer to learn a trade or get an apprenticeship. He is not academic and much more hands on.

Please can anyone advice what options he has with regards to TAFE etc...

We would like him to mix with people his own age but school if not an option. :confused:

Thanks

Jill

x

TBH he is going to struggle without a year 12 certificate - he will be in competition for apprenticeships with kids who have year 12 and that now seems to be the baseline requirement for most things. He can do his year 12 cert at TAFE along with some vocational training but he really does need to do it. He probably wont find too many 16 year olds at TAFE, there has been a concerted effort of late to keep them in school until 17

He should be ahead of the game though if he goes in to year 11 at the beginning of the academic year (so see if you can get him to finish up this year in year 10) - standards are slightly behind UK at this age and so he might find it easier and get a bit more confidence. He can also do the start of an apprenticeship as part of his year 12 studies (unless Rudd/Gillard got rid of that program)

I agree with Quoll in terms of schooling. I would talk to the school about it too, because a lot of kids seem to do a kind of half school and half TAFE thing in years 11 and 12. It is not an option where my kids are in school, but I know other kids who are doing this.

It kind of gives him the best of both worlds - being with kids his own age, but also being able to study through TAFE

Love

Rudi

x