457 answers please

Hanbo24

Can someone pleae explain (in plain english and not internet speak!) how a 457 visa works?

Hubbie has seen a job advertised which includes a 457 sponsorship, we have already paid our money for the full assessment so would the company take it from there if hes offered the job?

Thanks from a thickie!!!

H x

Guest oldmarried

the assessment would be irrelevent as it is not required for a 457.

A 457 is essentially a work permit and is granted for 4 years. There is no path to permanent residency from a 457. You can apply for PR alongside a 457. The advantage of a 457 is its very quick and cheap. The employer is registered with DIAC to recruit from overseas and they must nominate a position and demonstrate why they need to recruit from overseas rather than Australia. They then propose a candidate and you must demonstrate why you have the necessary to fulfil the needs of the role. My 457 took less than 2 weeks to come through. A 457 gives the primary applicant the right to work for up to 4 years in the nominated position. If you lose your job or need to change jobs then you must get a new employer to sponsor you or you have 28 days to leave the country. So its not a very secure option. In my case I have already known my employer for a lot of years so have no fear of them pulling the plug after our arrival. Once we arrive we will begin the process of employer sponsored permanent residency. Secondary dependents on a 457 have the right to live and work freely in Australia for the 4 year period.

Just thought I would clarify a couple of points.

the assessment would be irrelevent as it is not required for a 457.
Some occupation and/or circumstances do require a skills assessment for a subclass 457 application.

A 457 is essentially a work permit and is granted for 4 years.
The visa is not necessarily granted for 4 years as this is only the maximum. The sponsor nominates the period which can be anywhere from 1 day to 4 years.

There is no path to permanent residency from a 457. You can apply for PR alongside a 457.
Many people apply for PR via ENS or RSMS once here on a 457.

The advantage of a 457 is its very quick and cheap. The employer is registered with DIAC to recruit from overseas and they must nominate a position and demonstrate why they need to recruit from overseas rather than Australia.
There is no requirement for the employer to demonstrate why they need to recruit from overseas rather than Australia.

They then propose a candidate and you must demonstrate why you have the necessary to fulfil the needs of the role. My 457 took less than 2 weeks to come through. A 457 gives the primary applicant the right to work for up to 4 years in the nominated position. If you lose your job or need to change jobs then you must get a new employer to sponsor you or you have 28 days to leave the country. So its not a very secure option. In my case I have already known my employer for a lot of years so have no fear of them pulling the plug after our arrival. Once we arrive we will begin the process of employer sponsored permanent residency. Secondary dependents on a 457 have the right to live and work freely in Australia for the 4 year period.

Hope this helps.

Archived