An opportunity to move to Melbourne

DARRENANDDONNA

Last night i had an interview over a SKYPE connection and have been offered a job in Melbourne. I'm now in a delemma (do i set up my own little business in the SE of England or move to Melbourne. I have no idea which suberb which we should move to as the company is in Clayton? Also what is a reasnable salary to get by in Melbourne, we have no children yet? Can anyone offer some advice please? :arghh:

We are in the same situation. We were planning our trip to Oz to travel and then wondered if we could work out there and see a bit more. Hey presto, I was informed yesterday that I have got the Job an hour outside of Melbourne as a physio. We now have a week to make a decision!! Can anyone give us any advice? We also do not have any children and feel this would be a great opportunity that we may regret if we don't come over. So much to deliberate!!

Thanks

We have also got a week to make a decision, they want me there for mid April. I'm supposed to hand in four months notice also so not sure how to get round that. We have thought about the move for a long time and got so fed up with the UK that I sent an email to a few companies. It was a nice surprise to get a response. Now I've found another opportunity in England but Melbourne looks so good. We hear nothing but good things about the place. HELP!

We moved here before we had children and think its a good time to try new things. After all if you do not like it you can always go back. Being child free gives a lot more flexibility to where you live and no worries about child care and all that comes with children.

The usual things people miss are family especially if very close and used to seeing them every day or week. Friends as you are coming cold turkey and it takes a while to find new friends. As you may have not taken any new friends in the UK Aussies also take a while to take in new friends. Usually work is the place where people meet up and firms with a larger work force often have social events etc.

Melbourne is a very good place to live for young people, my daughter has no children and lives in the city and she loves it, her problem she says is the money she spends doing things when she would like to be saving more.

The papers are saying there are more rental properties around so that has eased that situation.

Make three lists, the pros, the cons, and the things you must have or will miss desperately and see how it pans out.

We moved here last November and we were also here early last year in April. We were surprised how much things had gone up in that space of time. Melbourne is very expensive to live, more expensive than London. You need to make sure you are being offered a reasonable salary to cover everything. We used this website to find a place to live which should give you an idea about rent. http://www.realestate.com.au. On the positive side we waited nearly three years to get here and love it - its a great place for kids, the people, places to visit, shops and coffee bars are excellent - as are the beaches and parks. Its a huge decision though, what made you go for the interview?

I was wondering if you would be able to organise visas in time- or would you new work take care of it? Seems to be very short timelines if you have to do it yourselves. Having said that, I would give it a go- nothing ventured, nothing gained after all. Sure it is expensive so you need to do your homework and be careful where you live but you can find cheap stuff with the right knowledge, especially if you are prepared to shop around a bit.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been offered a $60,000 basic but should be on $100,000 - $120,000 with commision. Donna my partner will also need to find a job for now but we will be looking to start a family soon and not sure how that will work with my salary alone. Is this enough in expensive Melbourne, we don't really want to live on a shoestring and struggle.

$60,000 seems a little low for both of you but with commission and your wife working it sounds good. Rent is around $400 a week (roughly depending on what you want to live in but that's average) - 9% of your salary is automatically deducted for Super (pension) so its important to find out if the base of |$60,000 includes this or if that is paid on top - different employers quote if differently. If that included Super then you are down to $54,600 before tax and nation insurance. We live in a two bed small apartment in the city and our electric is around $60 a month and we have no air conditioner - this goes up in June as they are adding Carbon Tax to all electric bills. You also need medical insurance cover. Food is quite expensive, although seems fresher than the UK, cheese is really expensive for some weird reason! I miss my family as well and am going back in Easter for a visit - air fairs are quite expensive too!

Saying all of that we love it here, I would never go back and live in the UK. Melbourne is beautiful, has great beaches, excellent shopping and so on. I would say we live differently here, we are outside more and work less. I'm the UK it was get up, go to work come back, slump in front of tv etc - its not like that here. Melbournians are really friendly, we have made loads of friends. I dont regret my decision at all, but then I have been here several times before on holiday etc. There are lots of ex pats here and we get together etc so you wont feel lost to start with, when you get here give us a shout!

Ax

Hi all,

Well I think we are feeling closer to making a decision and have just got round to speaking to our friends and family. Thanks for clarifying that my OH will be on my visa, that makes a big difference. How are you guys doing Darren and Donna? Any closer to making a decision?

AllieJ, I have been offered $80-90k to work in Warragul and have have been told it is enough for us to both live on until my OH gets a job. Do you think this would be ok as the cost of living is less there? It's a physio job and sounds very similar to the work I do here.

Oh co many questions but I guess we also need to factor in some health care when over there? Where is best to get this from and what should we expect to pay?

Warragul is a way out of the city so I would imagine housing is cheap - so you should be ok. Would be worth checking if that salary includes Super or if that is on top - 9% is quite a lot!

http://www.medibank.com.au is very popular for health insurance, you can get some idea of cost from the site depending on your cover needed and age - wont your job give you health insurance though?

Don'tknow if you have seen this - http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

But gives an idea of tax and NI (Medicare) that will be deducted from your salary. You also have to pay a flood levy - like a flood tax (its very small) and the carbon tax comes in this year - this is might be useful as well http://www.melbournetimesweekly.com.au/specialfeature.aspx?id=5060

Hope that helps?

Ax

I live in gippsland rent this way on is much cheaper than Melbourne, the salary ur being offered seems good my hubby is self employed and I am on $70,000 it's enough for us to live on if he has a quiet month or there is an issue and we have kids. Like you we came out with just me working it took a few months to get settled and work for the oh then started to come in. We have been do lucky here in that he has been able to set up on his own that's something he could never gave done back in the uk.

There are plenty of golf courses in the area and regular trains from waragul to Melbourne (the trip takes about an hour)

Guest VickyMel

You should be fine on those wages if the commission is genuine (I'm sure it is).

The other thing you might look at is seek.com.au - it will give you an idea of what is being offered for your professions.

The other thing to consider is whether you are being offered an employer sponsored permanent or temp visa.

Hi, Big decision to make. We live in Melbourne but other side of bay. Check out Realestateview.com for house prices and job pages for ideas on salary and house prices.

You will need money to emigrate with, setting up costs etc. Can be costly. Good luck.

In Warragul you'll be able to live on that easily even without your OH having work :)

If you choose your area right your other half could work in outer Melbourne and commute. Or you could live in outer Melbourne and commute to Warragul if you preferred.

It's also about 90-100 minutes on the train into Melbourne city (ish) if you want to come in - or ~45minutes drive to Berwick/Narre Warren area.

If you're serious though, don't forget you'll need to sort out your registration with the AHPRA too - http://www.physiotherapyboard.gov.au/

I'd got for it - otherwise you'll look back and always wonder :)

Hi all,

Well I think we are feeling closer to making a decision and have just got round to speaking to our friends and family. Thanks for clarifying that my OH will be on my visa, that makes a big difference. How are you guys doing Darren and Donna? Any closer to making a decision?

AllieJ, I have been offered $80-90k to work in Warragul and have have been told it is enough for us to both live on until my OH gets a job. Do you think this would be ok as the cost of living is less there? It's a physio job and sounds very similar to the work I do here.

Oh co many questions but I guess we also need to factor in some health care when over there? Where is best to get this from and what should we expect to pay?

We have been lucky enough to be given lots of time to make this dicision. The company have offered to contibute towards me having a reckie and showing me around. This is so kind of them and I would be daft not to take them up on their offer. We have accepted an offer on our appartment we own so things will have to move quite fast. I'm told a 457 visa takes 2 months approx if paperwork runs smoothly. I will have to decide one way or another soon! Hyena, what did you choose in the end?

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your help. Darren and Donna, we have made our decision and we are all systems go as of last week!!! My supervisor has started our 457 and I have started my Ltd reg application. There is soooo much to do but we are super excited now that we have made our decision. Darren and Donna, go for it or you may regret it which is why we're going. The worst that can happen is you come home. We're all lucky to be given these opportunities and they may not come round again.

I'm not sure the 457's take too long to organise so you may be ok time wise. We're planning on going out around the end of April as they have sponsored someone else out there and they think it all goes quite smoothly. Fingers crossed hey!!

Wishing you the best of luck. Let us know what you decide :-) x

Hi everyone

We have also decided to go for it. Like you said Hyena we are so lucky to be given the opportunity and if it doesn't work out then so be it. I'm sure it will it's all about adapting and embracing a new life style. Thank you everyone for helping us make this decision and we're both looking forward to meeting up with some of you when we're out there. Im going out in March on a scouting mission and maybe to see the Grand Prix as a neighbour will be there also. We are so so excited and will be logging our 457's today. Yippee x :cool:

Wow! Awesome news! Glad you decided to give it a go! I read your thread from start to finish yesterday and I think you'll really enjoy it out there! I'm actually applying through a 176 visa with a possible 457 in route as I am going over to Melbourne in July to speak face to face with my potential employer so who knows!

Great News for both couples and Im sure you wont regret your decisions, even if it ends up to be not what you want long term it is a great adventure to experience. We have been in Melbourne since Jan and are really loving it. I have lived in Adelaide previously also and can honestly say that living in Australia is a complete contrast to the UK and you will enjoy the relaxed lifestyle.

Just wanted to say that I cant belive that I keep seeing comments that Melbourne is much more expensive than London? I cant think for a second how anyone could actually think that this is right, this really confuses me, I just cant see it.....

Yay!! Congratulations guys!! So exciting and now you can look forward to an exciting new lifestyle. As you say, we just have to embrace a new life and enjoy the journey. You never know what life has in store unless we take the plunge and try new opportunities. Where will you guys be moving to? I hope you enjoy celebrating this weekend and telling your friends and family. xx

Ah, Melbourne! Sorry clearly didn't open my eyes sufficiently!! Well you can let us know what Melbourne is like when you've been :biggrin:

Guest VickyMel
Just wanted to say that I cant belive that I keep seeing comments that Melbourne is much more expensive than London? I cant think for a second how anyone could actually think that this is right, this really confuses me, I just cant see it.....

I was reading an article about it in a paper. Seemingly the survey is a bit biased as it is done specifically for executives thinking of making a move. So the range of items that they compare to put the comparison together are based on the prices of things that everyday folks such as myself probably don't buy.

Having said that I went to see a property auction the other day, to see how these things work, and a 2 bed property on a busy road with a very noisy tram line outside sold for AU$ 1,110,000.00

But that is just a silly place - there are lots of more affordable areas - if only we had had more time when we first arrived. Needless to say we will not be staying in this area for long and will be moving somewhere with cheaper rents and property.

I am really loving Melbourne and have no problems recommending it.

Archived