An opportunity to move to Melbourne

DARRENANDDONNA

Congratulations and good luck with the move if you decide to go ahead. My OH has also been offered a job in melbourne on the eastern side near forrest hill, we are due to fly out in a couple of weeks to get the feeling and have a look around the area and local schools. After our trip his company will then apply for visa's, once these have been approved should hopefully move in August. My OH is eletrical & electronic field based engineer and he has been offered $70,000 aus plus a yearly bonus,a company car with fuel included, they have also advised they will take payment of the rental from his salary before tax.

Can anyone give us some advise if this will be enough for a family of four, as I will not be working straight away until the kids haved settled, they are only 4 & 2 then I will be looking for part time work.

Congratulations!!! We live over on the West side of the bay. We did a reckie in 2006 before we moved end of 2007. The east side of the bay is very expensive to live in a lot of ares,

You could check on http://www.realestate.com.au for rentals property's and houses for sale to give you an idea on the east side. we decided to live on the west side which was not so busy or built up

when we got here. It's pretty built up now as the west side is not so expensive to to buy land and property. For example you can rent a new 4 bed house for $350.00 per week, not sure you could do this on east side. If you have to live east side you could commute. Look farther out as prices normally go down the farther you go. My husband earns about $70,000 a year and we're ok as we do not have a mortgage or rent to pay only the billls which are plenty. We are a family of 4, but our boys are 18yrs and 14yrs. If you get a permanent residency visa you can apply to centerlink for payments for children, on sponsored visa's it is different. It may be a bit tight on the budget for a family of 4. Good luck The Thompsons

Go for it guys, we've got 3 children aged 4yrs, 2yrs & 1yr and are currently in the process of trying to get a move to Oz. I've always said I'd rather regret something I've done than something I didn't do and it seems without children it would be easier as you won't have to worry about which states charge for schooling etc, not to mention the additional stress off leaving grandparents behind. The UK will always be here but I'm sure when you get to Melbourne you'll know you made the right choice. Good luck whatever you decide and remember, if you're still not sure this time next week go heads for home or tails downunder, if after one toss you say best of 3 you'll know which you really want lol

Thanks for your input everyone and good luck to those who are embarking on the adventure down under!! 457 currently being processed and I am completing my application form to the Physio Council who have the final say on whether we come or not as my registration is in their hands. Eeek. Unfortunately it takes 4weeks to process from when they receive this so it will be a slightly frustrating wait. Fingers crossed as we are all set mentally to come now and excited about getting organised when I get the 'all system go'! Will keep you posted x

Guest clarkie151

hi

i was hoping you could help

me & my family are looking to move to oz

but...

i have no idea where to start or how difficult it would be?

any help would be appreciated

kind regards

matthew clarke

Guest miss muffet

Hello, you had an interview with Skype! Congratualtions. Could you please share with me how you found the job? I've registered with a few Aust agencies and haven't had any response!

Thanks

Hyena,

congrats on the job. Quick word on the physio reg - it can all take a lot longer than 4 weeks. You need to apply to apc and then to ahpra. Ahpra are the ones who have the final say for all registration. Are you going for public interest or supervised practice limited reg. I got my approval from apc end of nov but ahpra didnt have a board meeting till early feb and now are still debating the public interest aspect.... So none of it is guaranteed. If the place youll be working at have gone through it before then at least theyre aware of all the process. And maybe if it's in a place that's much further out into vic then they look more favourably on public interest applications as there's less physios there. Is it a hospital or private practice?

Also, if you're going to stay a while then I'd start to look at the process to get full reg, as i belive that you can only stay on limited reg for a max of 2 years. my advice would be to start your portfolio to do it via the nz route now. Going via the oz process takes a long time and a lot of money - around $7000. I've got my written exam at the start of march and truly wish I'd done the nz portfolio. Still got 3 clinicals to go after this....

good luck with it all - Melbourne is a great place to be (except for the ridiculous rain this morning)..we're really glad we made the move....the only down side to it for me so far is that it's been so difficult to get the registration sorted :(

• 2 months later...
Guest Hyena
Hi everyone

We have also decided to go for it. Like you said Hyena we are so lucky to be given the opportunity and if it doesn't work out then so be it. I'm sure it will it's all about adapting and embracing a new life style. Thank you everyone for helping us make this decision and we're both looking forward to meeting up with some of you when we're out there. Im going out in March on a scouting mission and maybe to see the Grand Prix as a neighbour will be there also. We are so so excited and will be logging our 457's today. Yippee x :cool:

Hey Darrenanddonna,

Was just wondering how you're getting on? Have you made your rekkie to Melbourne yet? How was it and are you still waiting for your 457?

Well I now have confirmation from the APC that I can practice as a physio so I have now lodged the AHPRA application and the VISA application has been approved except for now e-mailing them my registration when I get it. So we're off to Warragul first week of June. When are you guys going over etc.

Hope all is going really well xx

Hi Hyena

After some thought I decided not to bother with the rekkie and to just go for it. I was planning to be in Melbourne for May and on the advice of my future employers i have just quit my job and will be completing the sale of our property this week. We have sold nearly all our furniture and electrical goods as i Felt taking them would be Just another thing to worry about. Unfortunately the company have not started the 457 visa process until last week and I'm told it will take 8-12 weeks... I have some short term contract work for now and if it finally stops raining I may enjoy a little of the British summer before I get out there. We are moving back with our folks for now ( I did not expect that again at my age.) We also have a couple of cats and were hopping Donna's parents are going to fall in love with them and keep care of the little monkeys.

We have decided that I will go out first before Donna to get settled and set things up ie location, long term rental, household goods. Donna will follow me out 2-3 months later once I'm happy we will be ok. It's pretty daunting but its sometimes good to step outside of the comfort bubble.

Anyway we constantly hear really great things about Melbourne and are really excited about getting there. (what an adventure) It's fantastic that you going for it also and everything is falling into place. You must let me know what it's like when you get there in June... I bet you cannot wait! xx

Archived