Laser eye surgery

DBphoto

• 2 months later...

Given the general cost of things Aus, I would expect the UK to be cheaper plus it's been available in the UK for a long time so much more established and more widely available. Go for it in UK I'd say. You're recovery will be better in more familiar surroundings than a 'foreign' country.

Thanks for the input. My research suggests that here in the UK it's about half the price of what it costs in Oz. There's a surprise. Also if one factors in the cost of replacement specs lenses about every four years (and mine are always very expensive) it seems like a no brainer to have it done here before heading south. Booked with Optical Express for consultation day after tomorrow.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Its come down in cost here in the UK for what they do its really cheap, just a few hundred pounds i think, i thought about it, in fact i started a thread over it, but apparently it only lasts about ten years, if i recall. Best of luck my wifes friend has had it done and she thinks its fantastic.

Just one thing - make sure you do a bit of research yourself on the possible risks before you speak to Optical Express.

I had my consultation a few weeks back and it all sounded amazing but then reading into the procedure (a variety of peer reviewed literature through Google Scholar) a bit more the gloss started to disappear a bit.

The big thing they probably won't mention is that the flap they cut in the front of your eye never fully heals. In fact, if you need top up surgery it can be re lifted by a surgeon up to ten years after you had the op without cutting it again.

Seems that only the very edges of the flap form scar tissue and heal, the majority of the surface area underneath does not form more than a weak bond. Tests have shown the flap *never* heals to more than 2% (with a mechanical cut) or 20% (laser cut) of its original strength.

This could leave the flap susceptible to coming loose through relatively minor eye injury or infection if water etc penetrates underneath an unhealed flap.

I had a three hour consultation with Optical Express and several phonecalls. Not once was the lack of total flap healing mentioned. I know several friends who have undergone the surgery and it came as surprise to them too.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not in any way trying to put you off. I probably will go ahead with the surgery but I want to speak to a few more people about it first. I just think it is really important people are fully aware of what is actually being done to their eyes before they go ahead with it.

Just remember the Optical Express people (even the optician you will see) are there to sell you a service. In fact, when I canceled my surgery the optician I spoke to was far more pushy than the saleswoman was.

It sounds great, everyone I know who's had it done says it's the best thing they've ever done but just make sure you gain a full understanding of the process and potential risks first.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived