457 granted! Road to PR???

You can get sponsored from your employer ... not sure how long you have to wait until they do this. Having a 457 does not mean that PR is automatic (sadly), your skills will need to be on the occumpations in demand lists. You can apply for an independant skilled visa too

Yes that is sad :o( Although we knew that was the case. I just want to start getting things organised so we can start the process but dont know what visa it's going to be. I'm a mechanic so think my occupation is still on the list. I'll go and check now. Is it easier applying for a residence visa because we're in Australia already?

If you have a sponsor and your job is on the Employer Nominated SOL you could apply for an 856. You can apply straight away if you have a skills assessment, or wait two years and you don't have to do the skills assessment. We are here on a 457 and this is the route that we are taking.

Guest lilimary

You can apply for a PR, through a 856 (same than 457 but permanent).

And yes, to be eligible you need to either :

- have worked full-time in Australia in the nominated occupation on a 457 for the last two years prior to the visa application being made (including at least the last 12 months with the nominating employer)

- have been nominated to fill a position with a base salary of more than AUD250 000 per annum (excluding superannuation or allowances)

or

- have had your skills assessed as suitable by the relevant skills assessing authority.

I think it would be best to wait until July 01 and see how the rules change then. DIAC is planning to make it easier for people to move from a 457 to a PR. :)

Archived