Here's one for you peeps already there!!

Guest michele'n'michael

Guest michele'n'michael

Hi Guys just wondered if any or many of you found it hard to get a job once in OZ.

What were your experiences & any tips on securing work especially if you're going on the 136 skilled route!!

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEz help!! Thanks all Michele xx:unsure:

Hi Guys just wondered if any or many of you found it hard to get a job once in OZ.

What were your experiences & any tips on securing work especially if you're going on the 136 skilled route!!

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEz help!! Thanks all Michele xx:unsure:

You shouldn't have too many problems if a) you speak english reasonably well, b) are flexible in that you might not expect to find your ideal job straight away and c) you make it clear you're not just a holiday visa (ie not just passing through).

If you want you can find a job for immediate start (within one day) but it will be casual type probably with low pay, finding higher posts have a lead time in the selection process of course, so you may want to put money aside if you intend to hold out for a good job.

Ask yourself these two questions to keep a sense of perspective, realism and to possibly find 'a point of difference'.

1) Why should I be selected for a job over an Australian who has local knowledge of people, places, regulations, custom and practice?

2) What does an employer get for taking on a foreigner (risk and return).

Finally remember that just as you will have little idea of Australia your interviewer will have little idea of the UK or any other country for that matter and is unlikely to care, its your responsibility to bridge any gaps. Knowledgewise you might as well have arrived from darkest Africa... well! not quite:smile:

My hubby and I were both lucky enough to secure jobs before we came. Hubby applied for jobs on seek.com - didn't think he'd get them because we were still in Uk, the company he is with now, said they liked his CV and would keep him on file, contacted him a few months later and asked where we were up to moving (we'd booked our flights), he had telephone interview, met them when we arrived and started work 2 weeks after we got here.

Ali

Guest Guest9973
You shouldn't have too many problems if a) you speak english reasonably well, b) are flexible in that you might not expect to find your ideal job straight away and c) you make it clear you're not just a holiday visa (ie not just passing through).

If you want you can find a job for immediate start (within one day) but it will be casual type probably with low pay, finding higher posts have a lead time in the selection process of course, so you may want to put money aside if you intend to hold out for a good job.

Ask yourself these two questions to keep a sense of perspective, realism and to possibly find 'a point of difference'.

1) Why should I be selected for a job over an Australian who has local knowledge of people, places, regulations, custom and practice?

2) What does an employer get for taking on a foreigner (risk and return).

Finally remember that just as you will have little idea of Australia your interviewer will have little idea of the UK or any other country for that matter and is unlikely to care, its your responsibility to bridge any gaps. Knowledgewise you might as well have arrived from darkest Africa... well! not quite:smile:

Normally I cut and don't quote...................but top advice Fatpom!!!!

Just to add.

If you stick out going backwards promotion normally comes quite quickly so you wont be down that ladder for long.

Hubby found it worked well to visit companys in person,he visited 5 and got offered work at all 5,so he choose which he felt most at ease with.He took a few certs and references with him ,explained he hadnt many tools till shippers arrived and had a general chat.As fatpom says make it clear you are here permantely not temp!!good luck im sure youll be fine

Cal x

Guest neil smith

Hi Ali, what does your hubby do?

My hubby and I were both lucky enough to secure jobs before we came. Hubby applied for jobs on seek.com - didn't think he'd get them because we were still in Uk, the company he is with now, said they liked his CV and would keep him on file, contacted him a few months later and asked where we were up to moving (we'd booked our flights), he had telephone interview, met them when we arrived and started work 2 weeks after we got here.

Ali

Archived