Fancy meeting for a coffee in Melbourne?

Newfie fan

Hi.

My husband and I have been in Melbourne for 3 weeks. During that time we have found a house to rent and settled in well with our dog. My husband is working during the week and while I am starting looking for jobs am a little bored of being in the house alone all day. I've done lots of exploring (well maybe some) but wondered if anyone fancied meeting for a coffee if they live in the Kew area? It would be great to meet someone who has had the same experiences etc as me. Thanks Jackie :)

Hi Jackie - I'm at home at the mo with my 2 year old while OH works. We've been here for 4 weeks now - feels like 5 minutes. We'd love to meet - we're in Sandringham though although we have a really good train line that takes us through Elwood Windsor etc to Flinders. Let me know - I've met some lovely people here so far. Michelle.

Hi Jackie - I'm at home at the mo with my 2 year old while OH works. We've been here for 4 weeks now - feels like 5 minutes. We'd love to meet - we're in Sandringham though although we have a really good train line that takes us through Elwood Windsor etc to Flinders. Let me know - I've met some lovely people here so far. Michelle.

Hi Michelle. It would be great to meet for a chat! Are you happy coming into Melbourne or I could meet halfway? Jackie :)

Guest Sam2000

Hi jackie, do you mind if I tag along with you and michelle. I can pick Michelle up on the way or we could ride into the city. Thanks Sam x

Hi jackie, do you mind if I tag along with you and michelle. I can pick Michelle up on the way or we could ride into the city. Thanks Sam x

Hi Sam. I take it that you and Michelle know each other? We could go for a lovely coffee and yummy cake at one of the the lane always in Melbourne if you both fancy it? I could meet you both at Flinders Street station and we could go on from there? How does 11am sound?

Guest GlennNatt

Hello again, yeh we are seriously considering the big mover over and we have a gorgeous big brown bear who has just turned 1 year old, we love him to bits and leaving him at home isn't an option for us. We are thinking of either Perth or Brisbane as locations to settle, but we are obviously a bit unsure as to wether the climate is suitable for such a large breed as he has already hit the 10 stone mark!!!! we are aware the cost will be severe for taking him over around £4000 we have heard, just wondered if you could advise me on the climate and how your girl copes as well as how much you think it would cost us to ship him over.

Thanks again

Glenn

Hello again, yeh we are seriously considering the big mover over and we have a gorgeous big brown bear who has just turned 1 year old, we love him to bits and leaving him at home isn't an option for us. We are thinking of either Perth or Brisbane as locations to settle, but we are obviously a bit unsure as to wether the climate is suitable for such a large breed as he has already hit the 10 stone mark!!!! we are aware the cost will be severe for taking him over around £4000 we have heard, just wondered if you could advise me on the climate and how your girl copes as well as how much you think it would cost us to ship him over.

Thanks again

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

We had Jessie clipped before we sent her as she came before us in December due the rabies law changing on the 1st Jan. She looks a little odd from the clipping but it helps. So far she seems to be handling the heat in Melbourne fine. I would suggest you have a house with aircon so if it does get too hot for her (and you) you can turn it on. We take her for early morning walks and again in the evening from 8:30pm and as you know they sleep during the day so that's enough for her. In total it's cost us around 5k to bring her over. That includes quarantine fees etc. I would recommend using pet air as they were great! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Guest GlennNatt

Hi, was it a drastic clipping she had then, is she not back to her former glory or have you kept her short!! the house would defo have aircon and a pool for him to take the plunge when he wants, but saying that it might be an option if were close to the beach not to have 1. I take him early before work and late on anyway so that wouldn't be any different for us really. We don't want him to look any different though and if we had to have him permanently clipped down then he wouldn't look his best!! We have looked at petair (Gold), it's really put us in a predicament as to what to do with him.

Glenn

Satch keeps cool with a paddling pool - although she has to share it with our nephews when they come over :)

I've heard there's a great off-leash section near Brighton Beach which I'm thinking of taking the Satchdog to next weekend maybe - depends on the weather forecast (don't want it to be too hot!!)

Satch keeps cool with a paddling pool - although she has to share it with our nephews when they come over :)

I've heard there's a great off-leash section near Brighton Beach which I'm thinking of taking the Satchdog to next weekend maybe - depends on the weather forecast (don't want it to be too hot!!)

We are going to take Jessie to Brighton next Saturday too. Thinking of getting there around 3pm. Temp for next saturday is forecast for 24 so perfect! Maybe we will see you there!

Hi, was it a drastic clipping she had then, is she not back to her former glory or have you kept her short!! the house would defo have aircon and a pool for him to take the plunge when he wants, but saying that it might be an option if were close to the beach not to have 1. I take him early before work and late on anyway so that wouldn't be any different for us really. We don't want him to look any different though and if we had to have him permanently clipped down then he wouldn't look his best!! We have looked at petair (Gold), it's really put us in a predicament as to what to do with him.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, we had her cut quite short as she had to spend 30 days in quarantine in Sydney without aircon in the kennels and I was worried she would really suffer in that heat. The quarantine staff all thanked me for having her clipped as trying to keep a long haired dog clean for 30 days in a kennel run can be quite a challenge. Jessie's fur is growing back and will probably be back to normal come end Feb. we won't clip her again until next Summer but then we will see if she needs it. I think you should definitely bring your boy. He will love the beach!!

We are going to take Jessie to Brighton next Saturday too. Thinking of getting there around 3pm. Temp for next saturday is forecast for 24 so perfect! Maybe we will see you there!

Now that sounds like it might be a plan - have to check with hubby to make sure he doesn't double-book us

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Now that sounds like it might be a plan - have to check with hubby to make sure he doesn't double-book us

:)

Did you make it to the beach last weekend? We went to Sandown beach the dog friendly one and there must have been around 100 dogs swimming. Jessie loved it by was quite daunted by the amount of dogs, so we're we! We will definitely take her back there again :)

We went to Brighton and it was amazing!!! So many beautiful dogs :) Satch was a rude cow - completely ignored all the puppies and just played with her ball and swam! But I played with the dogs and Jon got a bit of attention and didn't realise it :) hehehehe

Might have to check out Sandown - Jon's gigging this Saturday so will have to figure out when we can get out :)

Just a heads up that dogs are not allowed on the beaches in Summer unless certain hours, certainly not in the day time. ww.bayside.vic.gov.au/brighton_beach_dog_off_leash_areas.htm\

• Off leash rules 1 November - 31 March: Dogs are prohibited between 10am and 7.30pm, and dogs are permitted off leash between 7.30pm and 10am.
  • Off leash rules 1 April - 31 October: Dogs are permitted off leash at all times.

We always had to take our dogs to the beach before 9 am in summer.

Archived