Horsey jobs

lauradarlin

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of any horsey type jobs that I could do on a WHV? Used to be a very competent rider but not ridden much over the last ten years or so and it would be nice to be back in the saddle! Not bothered where as planning on travelling around. Will be arriving July/August. Cheers

Guest Bleeding Thorn13

Hi Laura D,

It's good to see you like riding, I worked as a Jackaroo for 10 years, it was a very fulfilling time of my life, I encourage anyone who enjoys working outdoors & with animals to give this a go, it's hard work but never dull you've got to be prepared to put in the hours too...I got my job while I was travelling around the country through different towns picking fruit & vegetables, I engaged in conversations with locals about any other available work, & that's hwo it kicked off, there are always jobs like these going...I've posted these two websites for you to have a browse through, I hope they can be of assistance & good luck with it...cheers Thorn :animal-bat::smile:

http://www.careerone.com.au

http://www.seek.com.au/

Guest laura b

Hi Laura, http://www.yardandgroom.com has quite a few australian horsey jobs on there books at the moment, I worked as a polo groom near werribee, VIC and as an instructor near brisbane when i was out there traveling and now 8 years later trying to emigrate and get back!! there s plenty of work in the horse industry out there when you look in the right places. Just watch out you don't get ripped of with people offering rubbish accomodation in return for your hard work! Find out what the minimum wage is before you start looking, Good luck and have fun x

Do you have to be really experienced with horses to do it or are they willing to take beginners ? It sounds good fun ( although i know its hard work!)

Stace, you generally have to be a pretty competent rider already, they don't have the time to teach you to ride etc and its quite hard work in the saddle. Having said that, there are a couple of companies that train you to ride/drive quads/mend a fence etc and then will arrange a job for you outback - don't know how much they charge, but its similar to those Oz Intro type companies, just focusing on outback type work, rather than in a main city. If you look on TNT website, or in their mag, you should be able to find one of the companies and get more info from their website etc :)

I started a equine course as soon as i left school but i only lasted 5 weeks because i was so homesick, i was a big baby back then lol. I really wish id stayed with it so i would have more confidence with horses. I've had a few riding lessons too but that was a while ago! I had a look at one of the companies mentioned earlier, its in NSW. it says you dont have to be a great rider but i suppose it always helps. I'll look into it more and maybe try get some more experience. being a jillaroo sounds a really good experience lol