Play schools in the ACT

claireg

Hello

Does anyone have any their soon to be 3 year old enrolled at a play school (not pre-school) for this coming year? Or had your 3 year enrolled last year?

I just want to understand a bit more about it, costs, days, waiting lists,etc.

Also am I right in thinking they have to be 3 by 30th April? if that is the case then I think we will have just missed out as my daughter is 3 on 11th May.

Any info (even if we miss out this year) would be great.

Thanks

Claire

Hey Claire,

All I know is from what I've googled myself.

http://canberrapreschools.org/default.asp?contentID=692

http://www.dhcs.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/27655/Web_update-_August_2008-_Playschools.pdf

I haven't really researched too heavily yet though being as mine won't be eligible until next year. I was more wondering about waiting lists. I'm also wondering about waiting lists for daycare as I'm thinking of getting a job later in the year but I haven't done anything about it yet. lol.

thanks ladies.

Play schools are for the year before pre-school and are only for children who turn 3 by 30th April. they are not long day care or child care centres.

From what I have found out they are not compulsory and are ran by a parents association. some are affiliated with pre-schools but your child does not have to attend that pre-school.

They are generally 2 sessions per week from about 9.30 am to 2.30 pm, some are 1.30pm or you can just choose 1 day. they follow a pre-school structured day and are for helping active little 3 to 4 year olds move into a pre-school environment or generally helping with separation from the parents.

Janet, yeah I have decided to look now for part-time work, 3 days a week would suit which would mean day care not play school as I have two of them and the play school hours wouldn't be long enough.

thee are a few in belconnen I have found

- Macgregor play school @ Macgregor pre school

- Koalas play school I think in Cook

- Wombats play school in Page

cost about $45 one day or $90 for a 2 day session at Koalas, $9 per hour (4 hours) at Wombats and I have not been in touch with Macgregor so don't know their sessions or fees yet.

I may enrol jaime for next year at one as I may not be working and I think it will be good for her as she will be nearly 4.

if I find out any more I will post here.

Guest Ex Battersea

Hi Claire,

I had my daughter in playschool last year at Noah's Ark in Giralang. They have to be 3 to start it doesn't matter when their birthday is as long as they are 3. Each term is enrolled and billed separately, so you could start your daughter in term 3 (July). Noah's Ark operate Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9.30am till 1.30pm, it's $38 per day and you can choose to do 1, 2 or 3 days (assuming there is space). We found that new people started each term. My daughter really enjoyed it and the teachers were very experience, caring and fun.

If her birthday is May 11th then she isn't due to go to preschool till 2014. That would mean you would have 18 months of playschool and then a school year of preschool. That is a lot of cutting and pasting. Up to you but I would wait till 2013 for playschool. My daughter is also May.

thank you for the info and feedback ladies. I didn't know there was one in Giralang either. the website I found just lists the ones affiliated with pre-schools I think, not sure.

ta

Claire

lol, now see I actually did know that as it's held in the Giralang Community Hall which is just round the corner from me. I've also been there as they hold the Giralang playgroup there on a Wednesday morning, but I haven't been since last year.

http://noahsarkact.com.au/

Archived