Forest Schools

2tigers

Hi!

I am currently finishing my award for forest school leader and have been leading forest school sessions for about 12 months now. I'm hoping my skills will be useful when I move to western Australia in a few will be happy to help if I can.

Suzanne

Brilliant siandsu! - Just seen this thread had replies :)

I am doing a research paper on forest schools and will begin a 10 week class with yr1 pupils starting next week as part of my study. I have decided to zone in on how has the UK adopted, or adapted the approach. As Scandinavian countries appear to be relaxed and take a different approach than us, their approach appears to be very child initiated, rather than adult led, I am wondering how in the UK we run them? Have we adapted them to our needs (re: curriculum boxes to be ticked) in providing the learning or have we followed the same ethos, child initiated?

Does that make sense? Its difficult to zone in on one area. Then I'll need literature to back up and argue against! Finding it difficult to get! Not really focussed on journals yet though. What books are good? I need to write a literature review on my reasons as to why I am researching my chosen area. Just ordered 'Forest Schools for all' off Amazon.

Nickynook - Forest Schools are where children will go into woodlands to learn, instead of just in the classroom. Its a cross curricular approach to learning. It was initially an approach from Sweden in the 1950's and as time goes on in the UK, it is fast becoming something that schools are realising is of benefit to their school. Both mainstream and for special needs. Kids will go out in all weather to learn. Its supposed to be child initiated rather than adult led, and this is what I am wanting to research.

Anyone else have anything for me?????

By any chance, is there anyone on here that is a forest school leader/teacher?

I'm doing a research paper and as a long shot wondered if anyone on here has any experience?

Hiya .... Not sure how useful I will be, but, around 18 mths ago I did my dissertation on a similar subject - educators attitudes towards adventurous outdoor play. I found it really fascinating and found some great areas to research - though I did only touch on Forest Schools. One book I bought was "Forest Schools and Outdoor Learning in the Early Years" by Sara Knight. I am more than happy to let you have my bibliography list - which may well give you a few ideas for journals, websites etc but it is geared towards adventurous outdoor play/risk aversion etc and not focused hugely on Forest schools. Just let me know if it'll be of any use. :wink:

Me again .... Have you heard of the foundation stage forum? Cant remember the exact title .... But try googling it ... If you can't find it let me know and I'll look it up properly for you. It's a forum where UK early years professionals come together to share info, ideas and resources. Many on there are studying and I have previously seen comments on there about Forest schools. I think you can browse for free but if you join up, you can post your questions and you may well get some good responses. There is free membership for staff working in many local authority schools.

Me again .... Have you heard of the foundation stage forum? Cant remember the exact title .... But try googling it ... If you can't find it let me know and I'll look it up properly for you. It's a forum where UK early years professionals come together to share info, ideas and resources. Many on there are studying and I have previously seen comments on there about Forest schools. I think you can browse for free but if you join up, you can post your questions and you may well get some good responses. There is free membership for staff working in many local authority schools.

Brilliant! Yes I would love your bibliography! Can you send it in a message to me?

I am aiming towards KS1 instead of EYFS, there seems to be loads of lit on early years but not so much on older..... also, tried to google stuff from Sweden but not coming up with anything?

The 'Forest Schools for all' book is a Sarah Knight one, I've also reserved another one of hers - 'Risk and Adventure....... '

Loving the whole idea of it......

Brilliant! Yes I would love your bibliography! Can you send it in a message to me?

I am aiming towards KS1 instead of EYFS, there seems to be loads of lit on early years but not so much on older..... also, tried to google stuff from Sweden but not coming up with anything?

The 'Forest Schools for all' book is a Sarah Knight one, I've also reserved another one of hers - 'Risk and Adventure....... '

Loving the whole idea of it......

That was speedy!! :laugh: Still try and look up that forum .... There are dedicated areas on there for KS1 and I'm sure there are forest school leaders who could give you ideas for research even if they are in the EYFS. I will try and look up the bibliography later today for you .... But if I forget , definitely chase me for it. I am doing a post grad here as I only have a 3 yr degree and tomorrow is the first day of a 3 wk teaching prac (my first prac in Oz) so my head is a bit all over the place! :wacko:

That was speedy!! :laugh: Still try and look up that forum .... There are dedicated areas on there for KS1 and I'm sure there are forest school leaders who could give you ideas for research even if they are in the EYFS. I will try and look up the bibliography later today for you .... But if I forget , definitely chase me for it. I am doing a post grad here as I only have a 3 yr degree and tomorrow is the first day of a 3 wk teaching prac (my first prac in Oz) so my head is a bit all over the place! :wacko:

Oh good luck hun, all the best! I shall get on to that site, tomo, its approaching my blanket bay time so shall chat soon.... thanks for your help!

Archived