Narrabundah.... ok place or not good

Trixie

Narrabundah is like the curate's egg!!! The area around Caley Cres is still Narrabundah and it is fine because it thinks it is Griffith. The area around the shops is a leeetle less refined (check the supermarket, it has bars and a security grill) and historically that area has had one of the higher proportions of indigenous families (Gugan Gulwan - indigenous youth centre and the indigenous medical services and the early intervention centres are near the shops). The school is now an early learning centre which only goes up to year 3 so kids will have to go to school in Red Hill once they get to year 4 and historically it was always one of the hardship schools with a lot of problems (variable depending on staff and itinerant families).

Housing is actually creeping up and like all inner suburbs you are paying through the nose for very ordinary weatherboard places these days.

However, having said all that, a friend of mine has resigned herself to "lower" Narrabundah after a lifetime in 'upper' Narrabundah and she seems quite happy there at the moment but she only moved in at Christmas time.

There are a couple of good restaurants there though which is probably helping the neighbourhood rise a bit. It's close to the markets and to Fyshwick (all depending on what you may need from Fyshwick LOL .... red light area), the buses arent too bad and it isnt far to walk to Manuka or Kingston which are more upmarket and varied.

Personally I wouldnt give it a miss but would have a good look around and check out the neighbours. If you are up by Narrabundah College then it will be more than fine. If you are right down by the shops (which is where my friend has just moved LOL) then look at the neighbours very closely.

It's an inner suburb due for some gentrification - which is slowly starting.

Have you thought of Ainslie? It's in the north, of a similar vintage and a bit further ahead with its gentrification and closer to Civic

I think as we will be renting and only 2 wks to find said home I will go with an area that has less potential issues...I know that unsavory things can happen in any area but without knowing the town or city properly I'd rather risk a traditionally ok area at first.

Archived