Renting a house with a dog in Perth

LisaR

Hi to any dog owner

Like many others, I am in a dillema about whether to take our cocker spaniel to Oz. The cost is scary but I'm prepared to pay it so he can come. He's used to a crate although not sure how he will cope with the length of time it takes to get there and the quarantine but he's been in kennels before for 2 weeks so I am hoping he will be ok. The only real issue now is whether landlords allow you to rent their property with a dog. He is not destructive in any way and I trust him but will the landlords feel the same! I don't want it stopping us getting a house to rent. We hope to move to Kallaroo in Perth.

Has anyone managed to get a rental okwith a dog and if we put up a dog bond? If so, how much was the bond?

Lisa

Hi, we brought our Golden Retriever to Perth in September and I also worried about us not being able to find a rental, there are less rentals around for pets but they are there, we brought with us a reference letter from our old landlord to say that the dog had never been any problem and that helped so even if you can get something like that it will help. Think our pet bond was $100.00. We booked holiday accomodation for 6 weeks and the dog flew out a week after us so because he was then in quarantine for a month it meant we had plenty of time to find something, hope this helps.

Guest Guest31881

When you look for a rental do not just look for ones that say pets allowed, A lot of owners do not advertise the fact they allow pets, you will need to ask, only if the advert says "No Pets" are you sure.

Thank you for the reassurance. As we own our home in the UK, we have never had a landlord but I could ask the current dog walker to write a reference regarding his personality and behaviour before we go.

Thats a great idea, just someone who can vouch for your dog and that he is not destructive or going to damage anyones property, it definitely made things easier for us to have something to show the agents. Good luck

]

Yes bringing the dog will make finding a rental more difficult but they are there you just have to be patient. And you may have to have alternative areas you would be willing to live? Adverts that they no pets don't even bother. Other than that look at everything and just ask to pay pet bond. We have rented 3 places now with 1 dog, 2 cats so it's definately possible it just takes longer to find something that you like and allows pets. Just give yourself as much time as possible so you are not panicking about the end of quarantine. May be check out some kennels or contact 'top dog' dog minding service ( dogs stay in people's houses instead of kennels) just in case you haven't found anything suitable before he comes out of quarantine.

Also check gumtree for rentals, and even put an advert on there for yourselves and what you are looking for. A lot of people rent,look for tenants via gumtree ,(we did) quite often they are really lovely houses and more relaxed about pets. It's worth a try.

Good luck

( ps, it's normal during the old rental search to feel like you are never going to find anything, but just keep plugging away and keep telling yourself everything happens for a reason and it will work out. If not it can easily get you down especially when you first arrive. You have to be one of those annoyingly super positive people!)

Archived