Do teaching assistants exist in Oz?

Cables

Am looking to do a teaching assistant course in the UK before we head out to Oz in early 2013. Not sure which course to go for, as there are lots in the UK (NVQ, NCFE, BTec etc) - and really want to do one that will be equivalent to something in Oz, so at least won't have to start from the bottom over there if i want to take the teaching further.

Does anyone know what the basic teaching aide qualification is in Oz and what the equivalent would be in the UK?

Thanks x x

No particular requirements just a clean police record and a first aid certificate in most places. Positions are not easy to find as they are in demand from mums who want school hours work. Some jurisdictions are now encouraging cert iii especially for integration aides. Pay is very low.

Positions are quite different fro

UK - they are menial jobs involving nappy changing, feeding, photocopying etc with duty of care always remaining with the class teacher.

Hi

I'm now in the UK but when I was in Oz which was 2008 teaching assistant/aide jobs were far and few between. I asked an australian friend and she just laughed, said they were the crappiest jobs going, not like the UK. The pay is low, you only have a contract for a term ( which is around 12 weeks) and normally only find the jobs in state schools where you may support children 1:1, These children, apparently, are having support because of their behaviour and not learning. Never actually experienced any of this, just what was told to me. She also said lots of mums with no qualifications do the job as it fits around their children being in school.

ps I am at present a teaching assistant SEN and went out there with 2 years experience of class ta and 1 year of 1:1 support. Currently working as a ta 1:1. Used to be in admin and am even now considering a move back to Oz and going back to admin as the pay and conditions are better.

Archived