Parramatta Advice

Team Rennolds

Hi yep we are in St Clair, nice and easy to get to Minchinbury.

Can for sure say I am very happy with the suburb, we previously lived Sydney and inner Syd areas so were a little frightened of the move out west, however no regrets at all, we have great neighbors and very family friendly.

For real estate we have never used rentals in St Clair but we have two main local agents that I know of "Australian real estate" and "Property Plus" which have local offices, also try googling real estate agents in St Marys as they have more agents but cover the St Clair area. Also in your search keep Erskine Park in mind, this is pretty much the same suburb as St Clair, as originally St Clair and Erskine park were supposed to be one suburb fom what I understand.

Were complete with 3 year old to keep us busy so keep in touch and feel free to drop us a line, come around for a BBQ and a beer drop the kids in the pool for chill, see if you get a feel for the area.

Good luck in the move

Hey Mark I don't know much about St Clairs but Mel and Steve (I think) are from there so they maybe able to help? I can also ask in work for you and let you know.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi yep we are in St Clair, nice and easy to get to Minchinbury.

Can for sure say I am very happy with the suburb, we previously lived Sydney and inner Syd areas so were a little frightened of the move out west, however no regrets at all, we have great neighbors and very family friendly.

For real estate we have never used rentals in St Clair but we have two main local agents that I know of "Australian real estate" and "Property Plus" which have local offices, also try googling real estate agents in St Marys as they have more agents but cover the St Clair area. Also in your search keep Erskine Park in mind, this is pretty much the same suburb as St Clair, as originally St Clair and Erskine park were supposed to be one suburb fom what I understand.

Were complete with 3 year old to keep us busy so keep in touch and feel free to drop us a line, come around for a BBQ and a beer drop the kids in the pool for chill, see if you get a feel for the area.

Good luck in the move

Cheers for the offer. Will take you up on that.

Mark

Hi All,

Well, we've been here 2 weeks today and the time has just flown! Hubby is loving his new job, both kids are happy and settling well - even my "How can you expect me to leave my friends, you're ruining my life" 11 year old, who has now uttered the immortal words "I now know why you wanted us to move here" is content.

I have been house hunting for the last couple of days, seen some really, really skanky properties but today I did it differently - I saw a house we could but wouldn't want to afford which was gorgeous, just to restore my faith that there were nice properties out there and I then spoke to one of the agents at a less than lovely house and told him what I wanted, what my upper limit was and what I didn't want - he met me at such a place at 3.30 this afternoon, I then followed him to his office, completed all paperwork and had my rental application approved there and then!! OMG it can be done, first application accepted on a lovely house, in a beautiful tree lined street, with fab transport links, 10 mins from school/nursery and 5 mins from hubbys work - I am one very, very happy lady tonight :biggrin: (although may be less happy when i pick up the keys on Saturday and find myself and my family in house with no furniture etc for the next 4-6 weeks - sleeping bags and blow up mattresses here we come!).

Hi All,

Well, we've been here 2 weeks today and the time has just flown! Hubby is loving his new job, both kids are happy and settling well - even my "How can you expect me to leave my friends, you're ruining my life" 11 year old, who has now uttered the immortal words "I now know why you wanted us to move here" is content.

I have been house hunting for the last couple of days, seen some really, really skanky properties but today I did it differently - I saw a house we could but wouldn't want to afford which was gorgeous, just to restore my faith that there were nice properties out there and I then spoke to one of the agents at a less than lovely house and told him what I wanted, what my upper limit was and what I didn't want - he met me at such a place at 3.30 this afternoon, I then followed him to his office, completed all paperwork and had my rental application approved there and then!! OMG it can be done, first application accepted on a lovely house, in a beautiful tree lined street, with fab transport links, 10 mins from school/nursery and 5 mins from hubbys work - I am one very, very happy lady tonight :biggrin: (although may be less happy when i pick up the keys on Saturday and find myself and my family in house with no furniture etc for the next 4-6 weeks - sleeping bags and blow up mattresses here we come!).

Cograts, where did you end up?

Excellent news about your house the time will fly over while you wait for your furniture just treat is as another little adventure and then when your furniture does arrive it will be like christmas again. Your 11 year sounded just like my 12 year old boy he really didnt want to come here but he loves it now.

Hi All,

Hi All,

WOW sounds great :smile::smile: So glad to hear the kids are settling so quickly.... Hope mine settle that quick! I am especially worried about my nearly 10 yr old son. Think the girls 7 & 3 will be fine. You seem to have managed to find everything so quickly.... That is also fab news about the house..... Congratulations on it all.....We cant wait to arrive

Mandy

Hi All,

Great news Tracey. Glad it's all worked out for you. Where did you end up?

Mark

Any comments on Stanhope Gardens? Not too sure how my commute to the CBD will be from here, but from 12(ish) thousand miles away it looks a good place to start to find somewhere to live.

Stanhope gardens is lovely, also the ponds, kellyville ridge, kellyville, rouse hill.... Cant really go wrong with any of them... In terms of travel... Train goes from quakers hill (not as bad as everyone says) and there is a TWay bus service close by to all these places. Most people drive to the bus or train station and leave cars there.... Hope this helps some...

Hi Steve & Mel

Researching pre school for Finlay who has just gone 2 and wondered if you could give us an idea of cost for a couple of half days per week? And any recommendations would be great in and around St Clair.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, not sure of the ins and outs of child care with your visa, we have a 3 year old who attends cook parade children's centre which is really great, this is $80 a whole day not sure if 1/2 days are available. as we have PR we have a non means tested 50% back so pretty good but to be honest I really don't know what is available on other visas

Hi Steve & Mel

Researching pre school for Finlay who has just gone 2 and wondered if you could give us an idea of cost for a couple of half days per week? And any recommendations would be great in and around St Clair.

Cheers

Mark

Couple of websites below that might help, Mel's sick so I will ask her if she knows a bit more than me when she's a bit more human (as she did all the organizing of the day care.)

Steve

http://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/index.asp?id=5210

http://www.childcaredirectory.net.au/ChildCareCentre.aspx?id=630&Council=Penrith&Child_Care_Centre=Cook+Parade+Child+Care+Centre

Couple of websites below that might help, Mel's sick so I will ask her if she knows a bit more than me when she's a bit more human (as she did all the organizing of the day care.)

Steve

http://www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au/index.asp?id=5210

http://www.childcaredirectory.net.au/ChildCareCentre.aspx?id=630&Council=Penrith&Child_Care_Centre=Cook+Parade+Child+Care+Centre

Thanks Steve

Hope Mel gets better ( and a bit more human ) soon.

Hi All,

4 weeks and still loving it, one bad day this week when the little one had her birthday and couldn't understand why there was no party with her friends, definitely tears before bedtime! Hmm actually, I think they came before breakfast!!

started work this week and I feel like the luckiest woman on earth, I have a door to door 30 minute commute to the city and when I get there I may just have the best job in the world and every single person I have met has been so friendly and welcoming.

our house is in strathfield. Things that seem a bit ott expensive (to me) apart from cars are simple stuff like bread, milk, cheese and yoghurt but I guess it's the same all over, shopping around and only using the supermarket when necessary.

love having a house to call ours but don't feel like I've moved in yet, am sure that will come with time (and furniture). Went to Kmart and big w to buy basic, can't live without stuff (kitchen bits, pillows etc) and then after a night of sitting on the floor a quick trip to IKEA and a cheap sofa bed and a dining talbe and chairs later we have enough to see us through until our container arrives.

how are those of you almost on your way doing? Still excited?? I hope so!!

tracey

Strathfield is such an easy commute for the city we were in homebush for a while and found it a breeze, also close for those last minute ikea needs lolYou should of put a poms in oz birthday party request out I think we have enough little ones around here to create a get together, how old are your kiddies?

Hi All,

4 weeks and still loving it, one bad day this week when the little one had her birthday and couldn't understand why there was no party with her friends, definitely tears before bedtime! Hmm actually, I think they came before breakfast!!

started work this week and I feel like the luckiest woman on earth, I have a door to door 30 minute commute to the city and when I get there I may just have the best job in the world and every single person I have met has been so friendly and welcoming.

our house is in strathfield. Things that seem a bit ott expensive (to me) apart from cars are simple stuff like bread, milk, cheese and yoghurt but I guess it's the same all over, shopping around and only using the supermarket when necessary.

love having a house to call ours but don't feel like I've moved in yet, am sure that will come with time (and furniture). Went to Kmart and big w to buy basic, can't live without stuff (kitchen bits, pillows etc) and then after a night of sitting on the floor a quick trip to IKEA and a cheap sofa bed and a dining talbe and chairs later we have enough to see us through until our container arrives.

how are those of you almost on your way doing? Still excited?? I hope so!!

tracey

Hi Tracey

Very excited now. Just starting to do some of the good byes now to family who we don't see that often. Only 6 and half weeks left at work. All removals / flights booked and have booked 3 week short term rental so feeling really organised.

Glad you are in and settled now. Sounds like you're loving it! See you on the other side.

Just thought I'd mention that we took our kids swimming at our local pool today - this just happens to be Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre - all I can say is how fantastic is that place?!! Both kids (11 and 4) had an absolute ball. Will definitely be going again 4 hours free parking, $20 for the 4 of us to get in, outdoor areas for picnic/BBQ just fantastic! 5 weeks and still loving it :)

Just thought I'd mention that we took our kids swimming at our local pool today - this just happens to be Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre - all I can say is how fantastic is that place?!! Both kids (11 and 4) had an absolute ball. Will definitely be going again 4 hours free parking, $20 for the 4 of us to get in, outdoor areas for picnic/BBQ just fantastic! 5 weeks and still loving it :)

I'm guessing you have hit bicentennial park with the kids, it's great when they have all there usual toys bikes and all, are you guys going to the Etta tomorrow? Been away till yesterday so havnt checked if it's still on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve & Mel,

Sorry haven't been on here for a bit - too busy living and loving life I think! Am gathering the original Sunday meet up didn't happen but is on for this week. We've no plans for Sunday yet, so we'd love to come along and meet everyone.

All still going to plan, although shipment should have arrived in Sydney the Sunday just gone and the removal people here are not replying to let me know if it has arrived - am getting desperate for some decent furniture and my comfy bed now. Have been really patient for 6 weeks but am really getting fed up now!

On a bright note, we went to the cricket at the SCG on Sunday and watched Aust. v India - what a fantastic day out. Once again, having found the cost of such an activity pretty much prohibitive for the whole family in the UK, was pleasantly surprised to get a family ticket for $100!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Tracey

Hi Steve & Mel,

Sorry haven't been on here for a bit - too busy living and loving life I think! Am gathering the original Sunday meet up didn't happen but is on for this week. We've no plans for Sunday yet, so we'd love to come along and meet everyone.

All still going to plan, although shipment should have arrived in Sydney the Sunday just gone and the removal people here are not replying to let me know if it has arrived - am getting desperate for some decent furniture and my comfy bed now. Have been really patient for 6 weeks but am really getting fed up now!

On a bright note, we went to the cricket at the SCG on Sunday and watched Aust. v India - what a fantastic day out. Once again, having found the cost of such an activity pretty much prohibitive for the whole family in the UK, was pleasantly surprised to get a family ticket for $100!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Tracey

Hey Tracey sounds like everything is going well, shipping always seem to take for ever, well looks like were all meeting at the Etta if you guys don't have any plans starting at 3.

Guest Stereotongue

I totally disagree with the bad mouthing of Parramatta. I have spent the last few weeks here and found it to be fine. I have seen no trouble or drunkeness etc. It has a great shopping centre - the largest in NSW, great transport at any time of day which is important to me as I sometimes finish work in the early hours. Plenty of restuarants. A rugby team, a stadium, live venues.... As already said, Parramatta is a city in it's own right. Would saying avoid London because of all the trouble stand up as a statement - should Brixton be thrown in with Kensington ? All of the suburbs have 'rough' areas. So far I would say that Merrylands and Granville which are close to Parramatta seem like areas I do not want to live in, but I want to live in Parramatta - just have to find the right place.

Guest Genrol

I know this thread is getting on, but I spent my primary years in the Hills area and it was great. Especially Winston Hills (easy access to Parramatta without having to deal with many of the problems greater Parramatta has), it has a great community. Beaches you'd have easy access to include Dee Why, which is somewhat popular. You'll have easy access to a lot of beaches though, as it's apart of our culture. If you have any more questions, PM me directly :)

PS: How old are your kids?

Archived