Parramatta Advice

Team Rennolds

Hi All

My new employer has now told me to look at around Parramatta as it is likely I will be working in that area. I have read some posts that say it isn't the best area to live in. We are a family of 4 (2 kids under 2) and would love to be meeting other families when we arrive.

Can anyone suggest any good family suburbs? We have read that the hills suburbs are good family areas - any suggestion in particular would be great. So difficult to know where to start. We had researched Sutherland Shire but now have been told I won't have a choice of location.

Our budget is $450 a week for a rental.

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parramatta is a city in its own right - important administative, government, shopping and transport (rail & bus) hub, historically important too and I don't know why some people hate it. It may have some problems but I've not been reading continual reports of bad behaviour. It's got a good theatre complex - 'Riverside' - I've got the 2012 brochure here and plenty of restaurants. The thing I will say about some suburbs of Sydney is that they are 'ethnic' but Sydney is one of the world's most multi-cultural cities. The Hills district is probably not bad for work in Parra but no trains.

I'm useless trying to recommend suburbs to live as I'm single and I like living close to the city but Parra has excellent public transport and I've never minded it when I've been there. Many young families move further out west - Penrith for eg - for the cheaper homes so perhaps that might be good. I like Penrith too, plenty to do there, good rail links to the city via Parra. Maybe Ryde area would not be bad if you can afford it, a bit further east from Parra.

I know Parramatta very well and have already said it is not a place I would advise anyone to reside. Yes it has all the amenities but not a good place to live. The Hills District does not have a train line, trains are accessed from Seven Hills, Parramatta or Carlingford, depending where you live. The bus service isn't too bad but it's best to have a car to get around. There are plenty of shopping malls, restaurants, cinemas,sporting facilities etc. The schools are some of the best in Sydney. I have already advised the OP that Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead would be the easiest commute to Parramatta for work. There are many suburbs in the Hills, spoiled for choice really eg Castle Hill, Kellyville, Rouse Hill, Bella Vista etc etc etc.

Various ethnic groups tend to cause trouble. If I go there to shop I go early in the day. It is apparently getting better but the shopkeepers in Church Street Mall were complaining about standover tactics and damage to property not so long ago. I mainly go to Castle Hill now for things I used to go to Parramatta for.

Thanks all for the honest appraisal of Parramatta. Definitely sounds like it has s few problems under the surface and whilst any city has these issues I would prefer not to set up home where I would be worried about my wife going into town.

If we did set up on the hills district where would be our best nearest beaches? Are there numerous play parks for the kids?

Mark

Thanks all for the honest appraisal of Parramatta. Definitely sounds like it has s few problems under the surface and whilst any city has these issues I would prefer not to set up home where I would be worried about my wife going into town.

If we did set up on the hills district where would be our best nearest beaches? Are there numerous play parks for the kids?

Mark

Northern beaches are the quickest to access. I love Narrabeen. Surf beach with a calm lagoon for the wee ones. Time depends on when you go. Early on weekend takes 20 to 30 minutes. Outside peak times thro' the week about the same. We always went early as, in summer, it gets too hot by midday.

Forgot to say that there are plenty of parks etc and you should have a decent yard for the children to play in.

Thanks Ellie

What's it like for activity groups for my wife and the kids? Hoping this will be a good way of meeting other people.

All my boys are are adults and 3 are married but I believe there are plenty of activities for your family to participate in. 2 of my sons live on the Central Coast, because of housing prices when they got married. My youngest son has settled in the Hills as he considers it a great place to raise a family.

IME there are activity groups all over the place, you just have to get out there and don't be shy - people often complain they find it hard to meet people, but of course everyone has their own lives already and they're not generally actively looking for new immigrants to invite in to their lives (if they did they'd be a bit stalker scary!) so you have to make your own connections. I know it can be tough but I do find people here generally more open and warmer, just go for it; I've made friends through a running club and my wife through swimming

I agree northern beaches are the closest/best bet, but come on Ellie, 20 minutes is super optimistic. It takes me that on a good day and I'm going straight up Mona Vale road and am less than 20 km away from the sea - the Hills area is at least 30 klicks and if you're talking about places like Winston Hills more like 45km, you can't do that in 20 or even 30 minutes. Not that it really matters, it's still eminently reachable

If you have little kids then don't overlook Balmoral Beach either (in Mosman). Will take about the same time to get there and it is a harbour beach so a lot calmer, also good facilities there. Not the quietest but no beach here is like the south of France!

IME there are activity groups all over the place, you just have to get out there and don't be shy - people often complain they find it hard to meet people, but of course everyone has their own lives already and they're not generally actively looking for new immigrants to invite in to their lives (if they did they'd be a bit stalker scary!) so you have to make your own connections. I know it can be tough but I do find people here generally more open and warmer, just go for it; I've made friends through a running club and my wife through swimming

I agree northern beaches are the closest/best bet, but come on Ellie, 20 minutes is super optimistic. It takes me that on a good day and I'm going straight up Mona Vale road and am less than 20 km away from the sea - the Hills area is at least 30 klicks and if you're talking about places like Winston Hills more like 45km, you can't do that in 20 or even 30 minutes. Not that it really matters, it's still eminently reachable

If you have little kids then don't overlook Balmoral Beach either (in Mosman). Will take about the same time to get there and it is a harbour beach so a lot calmer, also good facilities there. Not the quietest but no beach here is like the south of France!

I admit that it's a while since I did it but never took more than 30 mins to Narrabeen. You just have to learn the best route. I reckon you should do some research 'cause it shouldn't take you that long from the North Shore. Ofcourse I have 45 years experience! lol.

I admit that it's a while since I did it but never took more than 30 mins to Narrabeen. You just have to learn the best route. I reckon you should do some research 'cause it shouldn't take you that long from the North Shore. Ofcourse I have 45 years experience! lol.

I know what I'm doing when it comes to getting around/driving

I just did a quick check on Google maps - my nearest beach is Mona Vale, it's 20.5km (Narrabeen is 22km). Google reckons 26 minutes which seems about right. Mona Vale Rd is 90km limit most of the way, so an average of 50-60 kph is perfectly feasible. So 20 minutes at quite times is about as quick as it would ever get, how could it be less?

Castle Hill to Narrabeen is 40km. Getting there in 30 minutes would require you to do an average of 80kph, on roads where the limit is for most of the way 60 or 70kph and through a bunch of traffic lights? It's not realistic.

Just sayin'

Thanks for the beach advice both. 30 to 40 mins is great & so much better than any UK options!

We will definitely get out and about & try not to come across as stalkers ourselves lol. Kids are a great way of getting to meet people in similar places in life, so hopefully we'll be able to make some good friends. The outdoor living will be great for us as it's very difficult to meet people in UK as it's always raining and/or cold!

Thanks again.

Mark

Hiya Mark,

We're moving to the same area as hubby was told exactly the same thing from his new employer - so we're busy looking around the Parramatta area as well. We have a couple kids too, one of 11 and one of 3 - exciting times ahead! We leave in a couple of weeks, so no fingernails left at this point. When are you off?

Tracey

Hiya Mark,

We're moving to the same area as hubby was told exactly the same thing from his new employer - so we're busy looking around the Parramatta area as well. We have a couple kids too, one of 11 and one of 3 - exciting times ahead! We leave in a couple of weeks, so no fingernails left at this point. When are you off?

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Firstly congratulations! Really glad for you. We are moving over hopefully in early April depending on how long visa takes to come through.

Out of interest, who have you used for shipping? We are currently getting quotes but are not sure who to go with. Prices seem to fluctuate so much.

You'll have to let us know where you end up.

Mark

Maybe if you are happy to pay the tolls on the Motorway & Bridge/Tunnel, Neilsen Park in Vaucluse is not a bad run from the Hills District? Free parking there and great for families. You have to pay at Balmoral - $7 for the first hour on one of the two hour slots though I went up the hill for a free one. I've been to Balmoral the last two days from Surry Hills, don't usually cross the harbour but the traffic is light at the moment.

M2, Pennant Hills road, Connemara Parkway, St Ives to Narrabeen. M2 makes it quicker than when I used to go. Google maps gives a very round about way.

It doesn't, it gives you options one of which is the M2. None of them come out at anywhere near 30 minutes fwiw

I wasn't going to come back on this again as I was labouring it, until your edit.

From St Ives traffic lights by the Shopping Village to Narrabeen on Mona Vale Rd (via Powder Works Rd) takes a *minimum* of 15 minutes even if there is no traffic. It simply can't be done any quicker given the speed limits - trust me, I do this twice a week. Well- to Mona Vale lights anyway, which is almost certainly marginally quicker than going down the hill to Narrabeen

An extra 15 minutes to get all the way from the Hills to St Ives? It's just not realistic, M2 or not. Just look at the map. It's at least 20km to get there even by the shortest route, 25km by the quickest

Not going to argue. Did it many times. Didn't drive,OH did, and after crossing Pacific Highway didn't know where we were until passing the lakes. Another, I assume younger poster, on here, concurred with my estimates on an earlier thread. If it remains a mystery to you so be it.

I didn't want to argue either, but I couldn't let expectations of 20-30 minutes to the beach from the Hills to sit there. It's nothing to do with routes - it's a simple equation of distance and attainable speeds

I will concede that 20 mins is pretty optimistic, but 30/40 is not. However, as I am still full of the Christmas spirit, I will say 1/2 hrs if it makes you happy, although it wouldn't be true.

Hi Mark,

I've no idea how long it takes to get anywhere, but onto other things .........

After much debate and discussion, we've gone with PSS. They're coming on Tues/Wed next week. I'll let you know how we get on. Hope your visa doesn't take too long, what sort of visa is it? Do you already have a job lined up (silly question, you must to know to look around Parramatta).

Tracey

Tracey

Hi Mark,

I've no idea how long it takes to get anywhere, but onto other things .........

After much debate and discussion, we've gone with PSS. They're coming on Tues/Wed next week. I'll let you know how we get on. Hope your visa doesn't take too long, what sort of visa is it? Do you already have a job lined up (silly question, you must to know to look around Parramatta).

Tracey

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Me neither but was interesting reading the debate :wink:

Good luck with the move next week. Really exciting times for you all & nerve wracking I'm sure! Why did you decide to go with PSS and if you don't mind me asking how much have you been quoted for the move? We are been quoted vastly different prices so far.

We are going on a 457 employer sponsored visa, after waiting 2 years and getting nowhere on a state 475 visa. We are getting documents certified tomorrow and then agent said should be around 4 - 6 weeks from then. :eek:

What is your husband doing? ( I remember you said he had a job lined up in Parramatta). Have you lined up a short term rental?

Let us know how you get on, and again good luck.

Mark

Hi Mark and Tracey,

Sounds like your in a similar boat, and just wanted to add that if you can make sure you spend plenty of time looking around the potential suburbs and spend a day and evening in them.

We've been here 9 years now (feeling old now) only feels like 5 mins and its been great, but in that time we rented in numerous places to get a feel or life style that suited us at the time so we went from CBD, Cremorne, Hills, Ryde, Homebush to now buying out westish in St Clair, we just we moved from couple living it up around the City scene too family with a 3 year old now. Really just wanted to say don't discount anywhere without giving it a shot, head east for the City lights and beaches, out west if you want your big place with space and some bush land, or just somewhere in between, you will make friends and enjoy it where ever you are.

Ok definitely feeling old before my time now, but good luck and enjoy and keep in touch and have a beer and a BBQ some time.

PS never ask me how long it takes to get to the beach its a Sydney mystery, Sydney traffic is the worst and always takes me at least twice as long as the lovely GPS lady tells me.

Archived