Medication to bring from UK to save £!

Playghirl

This is slightly misleading. A factor 30 suncream blocks out 98% of the harmful rays. A factor 50 suncream blocks out 99% of the harmful rays. That can be presented as only a difference of 1% but actually it means that factor 50 is twice as good as factor 30 - it only lets through half the harmful rays that factor 30 lets through.

The difference between 97% and 98% does NOT equate to a 50% improvement in protection unless you go with the marketing hype. Sorry, I'll go with the Cancer Council's findings as per the links Peach posted.

As for Calpol, we used the generic children's Paracetamol in the UK and use a generic one here. Our lad was happy with either (and has now graduated to tablets anyway).

...and we're mean enough to use generic meds ourselves too. You can buy a pack of generic Aspirin, a Pack of generic Paracetamol and have a cup of coffee for far less than Anadin extra and have enough money for a beer left over.

It's all about generic names. The only thing I cannot find in Australia is Piriton (and I can't remember the generic).

All anadin is is Asprin, Anadin extra is Asprin, paracetamol and codeine.

For example, I never buy nurofen cos it is a ridiculous price and essentially just ibuprofen. This is just an example, my general gist of the conversation goes like this when I go into a pharmacy "can I have the cheapest version of ......... you have please". Cos it is ALL THE SAME.

Guest Guest31881
It's all about generic names. The only thing I cannot find in Australia is Piriton (and I can't remember the generic).

All anadin is is Asprin, Anadin extra is Asprin, paracetamol and codeine.

For example, I never buy nurofen cos it is a ridiculous price and essentially just ibuprofen. This is just an example, my general gist of the conversation goes like this when I go into a pharmacy "can I have the cheapest version of ......... you have please". Cos it is ALL THE SAME.

And the most sensible post of the year award goes too................... Whichway.........

I have tried saying this before and you get shot down in flames by people telling you Ibuprofen does not work for them, but Nurofen does.... I gave up, :ssign2:

Guest AKA63029

Hi Playgirl.

Maybe completely useless, but.

If you use Vicks sinex at all (especially if you suffer from hayfever) I would bring some with you. The same item can range from $12 to $24 dependent where you are. It's still expensive over here (UK,) nearly four pound now but is very expensive in OZ.

Not trying to advertise but being a Vicks addict I have found the Boots own brand decongestant far superior and half the price, and lasts longer as well.

Cheers Tony.

Archived