Passport Renewal whilst back visiting in UK

MikeW

Hi,

Have been in Canberra for 6 months. I've come to UK for Christmas and need to renew my passport as it runs out in March.

I head back to Australia next week.

Am I best to do this whilst in the UK? I'm staying an hour from Liverpool so an option is to drive there. Will my permanent residency 'visa' automatically be transfered to my new passport or do I need to do anything?

Thanks,

Mike.

DIAC need to be advised of your new passport details so they can transfer the visa over, which they do electronically and you don't automatically get a sticker or anything in your new passport. I had to do this recently, had to send off form 929 along with a certified copy of the photo page of my passport.

I'm not too sure what happens about your return flight to Australia. I'm sure I've seen people say they've just carried their old passport with them as well in case they are asked any questions, but I'm sure someone else can advise on that.

Hi Jurls,

Thanks for your reply. I've decided to leave it until I get to Australia as there were no appointments available in the next few days in Liverpool.

I just hope I'm able to book a flight and fly back to Australia with only 2 months left on my passport!

Cheers,

Mike.

You will need to make an appointment to get a same day passport and it costs extra - but it is still much cheaper than paying the fees for having your passport issued in Wellington. It may even be cost effective to go to Glasgow or London to get a same day passport.

I've heard that between October and the end of the year is the best time to renew a passport. It falls into the lull between the summer holidays, and the post New Year rush when people start to sort things out for upcoming trips.

I sent my passport off just before Christmas, so will see how long it takes to come back. Then I need to get in touch with DIAC to shift the visa over...

Archived