Holiday rental

cass73

hello people of tasmania

we are looking into bookong a holiday rental for when we first arrive in Tas then find a place to rent, how easy is it to rent somewhere what kind of paper work will we need. how long do you think we will need a holiday let for? Is it possible to get a home soretd in the first week as i would like to get the children settled asap. should have said moving to Hobart area.

thanks in advance for all you lovely advice

cass

First of all I'd try and rent somewhere initially for around a month if you can. We stayed here http://www.werndee.com.au/ and it was very good. A short walk to North Hobart and a longer walk (but still within walking range) of the CBD. Depending on what sort of thing you're looking at renting you'll find that a short-term let won't be too much more expensive than your actual let. Of course, that can vary!

To be honest I think you would struggle a lot to sort a rental in your first week. Apart from your initial orientation etc which cannot be discounted, it takes a week or more from when you apply to when you actually move in. It also sometimes takes a couple of days before you can get an appointment to actually see the property.

When you apply you'll need 100 points of ID (passport plus other bits) and you'll need some sort of income and references. I'd recommend bringing references with you if you can. If you haven't rented for a long time (like us) then employment references help. If you are going straight to a job then some proof of that is also needed. They will usually phone or email your references if you have any Aus ones.

If you can have a good look around before you arrive to see what areas you would possibly want to live. There are lots of places online that will give good reviews of suburbs as well as plenty of comments on here.

There's a lot that can be said on this topic but in summary I'd say: 1/ A job before you rent will be very helpful 2/ A week will be cutting it too fine in my opinion 3/ Have a clear idea of what areas are in your shortlist before you start.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

We are in the same situation, arring in Hobart then, looking for rental accommodation. I would take the advice from runslikeafish and give it a bit longer. We were thinking more like 3-4 weeks in a self-catering apartment. I have been scouring the internet to find places that won't cost the earth around Hobart. What are your plans for transport? Are you going to hire a vehicle or look to buy one? When are you moving? So many questions.

Aly

Hi Aly

we have to be in tas by june 20th so will hopefully fly out around the 2nd of June (nothing booked yet waiting on my sons passport to come through). We have decided to look for a holiday rental fo 3-4 weeks i think we will hire a car for when we arrive and look to buy one asap. When are you moving its always nice to know that there is someone else going through all the same stresses. Do you know where you are going to settle we are thinking of Howrah or South Hobart.

Cass

Hi Cass

We are looking to be there about mid June. We are going to do the same, hire a car initially, get self catering or similar for about the same time, I was hoping that accommodation might be a bit cheaper in winter, but apparently not! We are not entirely sure about location (we keep changing our minds :confused:) but I am very attracted to the Huon valley. My OH is an artist so works from home, so we can basically live anywhere, but I don't want to be too far from civilisation!

Where are you at the moment? Do you have a job to go to when you get there?

It all takes serious organising doesn't it?

How many children do you have and, are they excited about it all?

It would be great to see how we are both progressing with our big moves!

Keep in touch, like you say, its nice to have someone to compare experiences with, especially as are time frames are very similar.

Aly

Hi Ally

Have you been to tas before or are you making the jump blind? we went in 2008 for a month the Huon valley is beautiful but my hubby is a stone mason and we need to be based around Hobart so he can keep his commute short i dont mind really as it takes no time at all to be in the countryside or at a beach and hobart is more like a large town than city.

It looks as though Mat will have work but nothing set in stone yet.

We have two little boys Horatio is 4 and Heath is only 19months so really has no idea. Horatio is science and space mad so all he cares about is he will be able to see the milky way oh and he wants a workshop in his bedroom!

Do you guys have children or is it just the two of you?

Stay in touch oh we are in Leatherhead in Surrey

Cass

Hi Cass

David has been before, but I haven't. However, I have always wanted to go. I have lived in Australia before, 8 years in Queensland, David lived in Sydney for about 12 years and other bits of NSW and QLD for another 6 years. We had to come back to the UK, cos my dad was diagnosed with cancer and unfortunatley died. David's mum died last year, but my mum is alive and as batty as a fruit cake. I have one daughter who is married and I have 2 grandchildren - the ones in my picture. Louis, my grandson is 4 and he is into Ben10. Has Horatio started school yet? Louis has, but they start school later in Oz. My son in law is Australian as are the grandkids, they are still here and are looking to go back next year. I am trying and failing miserably to talk them into going to Tas, but they want to go back to Brisbane, son in law's home town.

We do't want to back to QLD - the cockroaches are too big, too many cane fields and cane toad and MILLIONS of bitty critters!

Hows your weather?

We are in Preston, Lancashire and to date, we have only had severe frosts, no snow!

Just as a thought, we are stopping in Melbourne before we cross over to Tas and are considering buying a car there as there seems to be a lot more choice, then going over on the ferry.

Thanks for all the info.

Aly

We had that thought about buying a car in Melbourne first too but didn't in the end. To be honest there's loads of choice here at pretty much all areas of the price spectrum. Unless you want something specific and uncommon (and sometimes even then anyway) you'll be able to find a good selection here. Plus you get Tassie plates :)

Thanks for that.

We did wonder about the cost difference, but we do have friends and family in Melbourne and we thought we may do some serious shopping there first, they have some brilliant markets. After, we get the Spirit of Tas over. Something I have always wanted to do and the price is comparable to the airfares. Also, we could then spend a few days driving down to Hobart and see some sights on the way. We really wanted to see the 'Pub in the Paddock' in Pyengana! I know we would have to get the plates changed and I'm not really sure on the cost to do that, or could we keep the Victoria plates until the rego expired? I know in the mainland states you can do this.

Your info in much appreciated.

Aly

Thanks for that.

I know we would have to get the plates changed and I'm not really sure on the cost to do that, or could we keep the Victoria plates until the rego expired? I know in the mainland states you can do this.

Your info in much appreciated.

Aly

The info about transferring registration from an interstate vehicle is below. Basically you pay the normal registration fee and an inspection fee. Theoretically it is supposed to be done within 3 months of arrival but I do know people who have waited until the old rego had expired. At the bottom there is a link to a separate page showing the relevant costs.

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/registration_information_tas/re-issue_after_3_months_of_expiry,_cancellation_or_written-off#18

Vivien

The info about transferring registration from an interstate vehicle is below. Basically you pay the normal registration fee and an inspection fee. Theoretically it is supposed to be done within 3 months of arrival but I do know people who have waited until the old rego had expired. At the bottom there is a link to a separate page showing the relevant costs.

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/registration_information_tas/re-issue_after_3_months_of_expiry,_cancellation_or_written-off#18

Vivien

Thanks Vivien, the site has a lot of useful info. Much appreciated.

Aly

• 4 weeks later...

Hi aly

how are things going? we have booked our shipping and they are coming to pack up our stuff on April the 4th so im busy going through our stuff to make sure ive got what i need and not taking those clothes i have not worn in yrs in the hope one day i will be a size 8 again. sorting out my baby cothes was the hardest that and my teddy bears from when i was a kid.

My husband got offered a job with a stonemason company with good money and a car thrown in so that takes off a little bit of the pressure knowing that we will have money coning in after a month or so.

have you decided on an area to live yet? i think we are heading to Howrah.

anyway i hope your plans are going well

take care

cass

The Tassie group is growing! We stayed in a hotel in the CBD for 2 weeks when we first arrived. We had a rental house sorted on day 10. Don't be put off if the first few places are "undesirable", we saw some real horrors! We are in Rosetta for the convenience of work in Lenah Valley. We got a brand new 3 bed house with dbl garage for $340pw. Agents were friendly, happy to setup viewings for same or next day. Being new to Oz we had limited reference info but it was no problem at all. Good luck with the move!

Colin.

Hi Ally

Have you been to tas before or are you making the jump blind? we went in 2008 for a month the Huon valley is beautiful but my hubby is a stone mason and we need to be based around Hobart so he can keep his commute short i dont mind really as it takes no time at all to be in the countryside or at a beach and hobart is more like a large town than city.

It looks as though Mat will have work but nothing set in stone yet.

We have two little boys Horatio is 4 and Heath is only 19months so really has no idea. Horatio is science and space mad so all he cares about is he will be able to see the milky way oh and he wants a workshop in his bedroom!

Do you guys have children or is it just the two of you?

Stay in touch oh we are in Leatherhead in Surrey

Cass

Hi Cass

Are you the Cass who was on WAnted Down Under? Her hubby was a stone mason...

Its good to see plans coming into fruition...

Hi Cass

sounds like things are moving well for you :biggrin:. Who did you decide on for your shipping? We have had a bit of a hiccup with our plans. David (my OH) has to go into hospital to have his throat looked at. He has had cancer x2 and when he went for his last check up, they 'saw' something, so just waiting for appointment now.

However, this isn't going to stop us. We are still leaving in May via Sri Lanka for 8 weeks and then onto Melbourne. We are not booking our flights to Hobart until the last minute.

We are still looking at the Huon valley to live, but keeping our options open. Great news about the job and the car!

Good news from my daughter as well. They have decided against QLD and are seriously looking at Tasmania again.This won't be until next year, but it was the best news for me, as I didn't want to travel up to Brisbane to see the grandkids.

Keep in touch will your news

Aly

Hi Cass

It is possible to find a rental within a week but you need to be really organised, not too fussy and pretty lucky.

We moved in to our place exactly a week after arrival. Hubby had done alot of the leg work in a brief reccee (2 days) so he knew which areas we were heading for and had also kept in touch with real estate agents by e mail so we had a few appointments booked up as well. However that said we did view a couple of places that weren't even vacant for 3 weeks....

Make sure you have certified copies of all your paperwork (ID papers, passports, visas, job offers etc.) and I'd also recommend some kind of mobile device that allows you to view properties and contact estate agents etc. while on the move. If you can, arrange viewings for when you arrive a couple of days beforehand....

The other thing is that if moving in somewhere quickly is a priority, then think really hard about the sort of property you want and what you're prepared to compromise on beforehand. Eg we ended up in somewhere with no garage without really thinking through the impications of nowhere to store our bikes or camping gear.... Although I moan about it now, I also know that the alternative was staying in our self catering accommodation which would have been bad for all sorts of other reasons........

Good Luck!

Katherin

Archived